Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really think that number of posts is really a guide, it should be down to the individual whether they feel comfortable sending anything. As already said, a load of meaningless posts which don't add anything doesn't really mean that somebody is exactly dedicated to the site but who defines what is meaningful? I don't see as you can. Does 50 posts about what was on TV last night add up to more than a single post which outlines how to prune a fruit tree? I would say not but others would disagree. Subjective you see

On a more practical note, how would this be policed (God, I hate that word!), if it's advice then it won't make any difference and I'm not sure how anybody can be stopped otherwise?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ah, I see the point made here - but that said, any swopper reserves the right to reject a proposed swop, right? If it doesn't feel right or sound right, or if you're not comfortable with the Grape requesting seeds, then simple enough - don't swop with them.

As such, my position's that there should be no qualifying number of posts per se, but that guidance (and I say "guidance", not instruction) should be simply that each Grape requesting/offering seeds should think about who they're dealing with, and if in doubt to say no. We're all adults, right? A bit of a primer on etiquette, expectations and perhaps a gentle reminder about SAEs and such should be all that's needed IMO.

Maybe the proposal here's for a guideline number of posts rather than a strict qualifier, in which case fair enough, add it to the guidance as outlined - but I'm not convinced that the benefits of being proscriptive here outweigh the potentially frosty, unwelcoming image this proposal might give.

Personally, I came to the Grapevine as a virgin allotmenteer with little in the way of experience, knowledge or seeds - and was chuffed to bits with some of my early swops. I'd not have got those with a 25-post limit or whatever - hell, even now I've not yet reached the 50-post mark! - but for me in my first season it pulled me into the Grapevine online community, and perhaps more importantly really opened my eyes to what's out there beyond Boltardy, All The Year Round and various Moneymaker varieties......

Comment

Originally posted by avinabacca View Post

Maybe the proposal here's for a guideline number of posts rather than a strict qualifier,
        Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

We are thinking of setting some guideline limits to when a new member can effectively seed swap.
        Definitely a guideline; just to make that clear - not a strict qualifier.

Comment

I put 50 coz I'm a cow!
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post

On a more practical note, how would this be policed (God, I hate that word!), if it's advice then it won't make any difference and I'm not sure how anybody can be stopped otherwise?
            For a start; if some gets a PM from a newbie then they would have something to refer to if they wanted to say no without feeling like a meanie.

We will take all the comments on here and try and devise Guidelines only; if someone wants to send seeds for nothing to a newbie then nobody's gonna stop them....
            Last edited by zazen999; 28-01-2010, 01:09 PM.

Comment

I say ten posts but also specify that you must have been a member for a certain length of time. A fortnight would probably be enough. Anyone who drops by and sees something they want can rack up any number of posts if they try but specifying a minimum length of membership would mean no-one who has Googled for free seeds could just show up, make however many posts in a day and then never be seen again.
              I was feeling part of the scenery
              I walked right out of the machinery
              My heart going boom boom boom
              "Hey" he said "Grab your things
              I've come to take you home."

Comment

I've not voted,not because I'm awkward but because I really don't know?!
                Some of us are capable of gassing all day,whereas there's other members that only post occasionally but are just as "good" members...just for whatever reason a little more quiet.

I still haven't done a proper swap as I've never felt I've got anything worth swapping and feel cheeky asking for something without offering first...maybe that would be a way to do things.For the first X amount of swaps the newbie has to send their seeds off first and when the other person has recieved them they send theirs off and maybe they can then let one of you know that the new swapper is genuine.Almost like an Ebay feedback thing,but less formal.(sorry I'm assuming you have all the time in the world for something new to oversee!)
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Although, following on from Seahorse's thoughts, in my case I have only been a member for 2 months, but have been swapping seeds since about 2 weeks...hopefully people can judge when someone sounds genuine??

I agree maybe a min number of posts plus an obligatory introduction...I voted for 25 cos, 10 is too easy and 50 could, if they are not a blabbermouth like me,() take months...
                  Last edited by northepaul; 28-01-2010, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I voted 25 but I agree with Seahorse about the length of time. Having said that, I have written and re-written this post because I am being quite indecisive and keep talking myself out of decisions so I can understand how difficult it will be to set up these guidelines. Rather you than me guys Thank you.
                    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

50 posts to prove your commitment to the vine.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I voted 25 and you have to be a member for at least a week.

Like others have said its easy to chock up 10 posts and a weeks long enough time to get the feel of a forum and by then you should have had time to read the rules.
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Please correct me if I'm wrong but by the time you pay the p&p would it not be just as easy to buy the seeds. I appreciate some of the rarer seeds may be difficult to get hold of.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Oh heck, now I agree with all of you at the same time and my head hurts.

*takes of mods hat to wander to shops
                            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I think as zaz said - it's probably a case of rules for the newbies, and guidelines for the existing Grapes.

One thing that's for sure is that there's no simple answer, and one thing that is becoming clear to me in my short tenure as a moderniser is that you sure as Hal ain't gonna please everyone.

Clearly the rules that are posted for all members to see are still not being read by everyone, some of us that have been here a while are familiar with the "ethics" of the vine, and the nuances of the community, but a newcomer won't necessarilly have that advantage.

However, just coming into a forum (having no doubtedly searched for "seed swap" or some such term into Google) and taking seeds without putting anything back is quite frankly not cricket. It's taking the mick however you look at it.

Ok, ok, you can argue caveat emptor until the cows come home, but the fact is that there are people out there, and amongst us who are giving by nature and it riles me when good people are taken advantage of.

Any attempt by the moderators to deter scrounging freeloaders is good by me.

I don't care what the result is, I will adhere to the rules.
                              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Does a Newbie get a 'welcome' email when they join?

If so, does it mention the whole seed swap thing?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X