Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poorly sage

I must be doing something wrong.

I've managed to turn it from that nice healthy-looking plant in the first picture to this:

It's been a bit windswept, and on closer inspection has a fair few aphids on it.

How do I rescue it please?

Thanks,
    MBE
    Attached Files
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Is it a bit on the dry side? Looks wilted.
      Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

I don't think so. Substrate seems moist enough. Is it a particularly thirsty plant?

Do you think it would benefit from a spell in the greenhouse?
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Maybe give it a little TLC - they don't like to be too soggy. Sage and salvias like free draining soil but it's wilting tells me it is possibly too dry.
          Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Tarragon is a nice one to grow. I would put Sagey Baby outside to get some rain. I have grown sage from seed and never treated it with any kindness once it was past seedling sage. OUt you go for some sunshine and rain. Mine were out through the bitter winter in pots and although I lost three (very dry) the other seven survived and are now planted.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
              Maybe give it a little TLC -
              Ok, so what do you mean by TLC? I'd feel silly giving it a cuddle.

It's in MPC with sand mixed in to improve the drainage.

Comment

It does look like it's dried out perhaps at some point to me too. Mine started looking unhealthy around a month ago in the greenhouse and started getting aphids so I just dumped it outside. I am mean to my herbs though. The ones that survive tend to stay alive.

Also, if it's been outside, would put it in the GH for a bit but if it's inside already, I would put it out for some rain and see if the change helps it at all. Judging by my efforts in the sage department they can be somewhat picky at times. Or just don't like me being mean to them.

I would recommend tarragon and chives as well for forgiving/sturdy herbs. Lemon balm has done ok for me too, though the stuff in pots needed to go in the greenhouse over the winter as the frost hit the new growth quite hard for some reason. The balm in the raised beds was fine though.

As far as caring goes I always figured TLC in gardening was a nice mix of talking to your plants and ruffling the leaves and telling them you'd uproot em if they don't grow better.
                Last edited by Rabidbun; 30-05-2011, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Hmmm...maybe it's not been as well watered as I thought.

I've got some chives now - nicked a pot from me dad.
                  My sister's got some tarragon - need to see if she'll send me a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
                    Ok, so what do you mean by TLC? I'd feel silly giving it a cuddle.

It's in MPC with sand mixed in to improve the drainage.
                    What's it got sand for? It doesn't need a beach; it needs a garden! If you can't get it into your border (cloche it if you must), put it in a nice herb planter. NO SAND but don't forget your crocks in the bottom for drainage:-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rabidbun View Post
                      It does look like it's dried out perhaps at some point to me too. Mine started looking unhealthy around a month ago in the greenhouse and started getting aphids so I just dumped it outside. I am mean to my herbs though. The ones that survive tend to stay alive.

Also, if it's been outside, would put it in the GH for a bit but if it's inside already, I would put it out for some rain and see if the change helps it at all. Judging by my efforts in the sage department they can be somewhat picky at times. Or just don't like me being mean to them.

I would recommend tarragon and chives as well for forgiving/sturdy herbs. Lemon balm has done ok for me too, though the stuff in pots needed to go in the greenhouse over the winter as the frost hit the new growth quite hard for some reason. The balm in the raised beds was fine though.

As far as caring goes I always figured TLC in gardening was a nice mix of talking to your plants and ruffling the leaves and telling them you'd uproot em if they don't grow better.
                      TLC as in give it what it needs not a flowerpot with sand. It's not a cactus! Or an olive tree! Mine like Radio 4 along with a good ruffling!

Comment

Hmmm...maybe it's not been as well watered as I thought.

I've got some chives now - nicked a pot from me dad.
                        My sister's got some tarragon - need to see if she'll send me a bit.
                        I may have seed - PM me tomorrow! Ooh just noticed the thyme (get it?), I meant later today...yawn

Comment

It's not a lot of sand! I read somewhere that they like sandy soil, so I mixed a bit in when I potted it up.

Should I repot it in not sandy soil?

I haven't got a nice herb planter, and no border space left. It's going to have to live in a pot, I'm afraid.

Comment

Someone should write a song about that...

MBE
                            Would you believe.......they have! Simon and garfunkle have a song called Scarborough Fayre which mentions all 4! Spooky......

Loving my allotment!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X