Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme.

Someone should write a song about that...

But coincidentally, that's what I've bought from Morrisons recently:

The parsley was a living herb I needed for a recipe, and has been repotted according to wellie's instructions.

The other 3 I picked up for a fiver today. Having never grown herbs before, please can you tell me how best to care for them?

I assume all three will need repotting. Will they be happy in the flower-bucket pots all year round? I assume rosemary and thyme are hardy, but is sage too? What sort of conditions do they like? Can they go straight outside?

I quite like a bash at cooking, so the idea of nipping out the back for some fresh herbs appeals to me somewhat.

Thanks all.
    MBE
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Originally posted by mrbadexample View Post
    Can they go straight outside?
    Nothing can go straight outside if it's spent its life nice n cosy indoors. It needs to be gradually acclimatised (hardened off) to the great outdoors. 7-10 days will do it, back in at night
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
      Nothing can go straight outside if it's spent its life nice n cosy indoors. It needs to be gradually acclimatised (hardened off) to the great outdoors. 7-10 days will do it, back in at night
      Surely they won't have got to that size entirely indoors?

Will it be ok if I put them in the greenhouse for a bit? Will they still need bringing in at night? I'm currently making about 6 trips morning and night.
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Will it be ok if I put them in the greenhouse for a bit?
        That depends what temp your gh is (mine is about 9c at moment, much colder than the house temp of 18c)

Comment

Ok, I'll have another walk....

....it was min 8°C last night, max 29°C this afternoon.

Comment

That's quite a fluctuation in temp, enough to send a little herb into shock

Comment

I put the same herbs in my garden a couple of years ago in a raised bed in a sunny spot. The sage is now about 3 foot wide, rosemary one in raised bed other in a large pot both growing well, thyme also doing well and double its original size. Sage and thyme I cut back a bit in spring, it seems to refresh the plants, rosemary I just leave alone, as I use a lot of rosemary in cooking it gets trimmed all year round. From what I remember the parsley only lasted the year. I just water the rest once a week maybe twice when its hot and dry so they don’t need any fussing. I put them straight out in the garden when I got them but that was end of May so good idea to bring them in at night at the moment.

Comment

Thanks rootball - that makes it sound easy - which is exactly what I was after.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  That's quite a fluctuation in temp, enough to send a little herb into shock
                  Well, that's what I'm doing with my tomatoes and chillies at the moment. Into the greenhouse in the morning, back in the house overnight.

Comment

It's a pain innit? Still, very necessary at the mo. I just bought some rosemary for 2 squid from mozzas too. I'm hardening off cos I dunno how long it was in the supermarket for and for some reason I can't grow rosemary. Bought some a couple of years ago - it's still the same size. Had loads of small plants from seed last year - the cold killed em, despite being under cover. Never had any luck with cuttings, having another try but we'll see

Comment

Rosemary's the one I wanted most. I wasn't going to bother with the sage, but for the sake of an extra £1 I thought I might as well.

That gives me these 4 plus mint. What else is good for cooking and fairly indestructible?

Comment

Coriander's good for curries, but mine always bolts cos I forget to water it. I find thyme the easiest but you already have that. Basil's a nice one to have, but not indestructible by any means. I think you have all the toughies

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                          Coriander's good for curries, but mine always bolts cos I forget to water it. I find thyme the easiest but you already have that. Basil's a nice one to have, but not indestructible by any means. I think you have all the toughies
                          Is coriander supposed to be hardy? Because the one I had in a pot outside didn't survive the winter. I might have neglected it a wee bit.

Basil would be handy I think. Maybe oregano too. Whatever I have will need to be able to survive the winter, because I won't use any of them that often, so if it won't overwinter I might just as well buy it as and when I need it.
                          Last edited by mrbadexample; 27-04-2011, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks rootball - that makes it sound easy - which is exactly what I was after.
                            When I put the herbs in the garden I had never done any gardening before, I just checked the herbs were planted 3 years ago. I had put some summer plants in window boxes and containers bought from the shop so all I needed to do was remember to water so If the herbs grow for me anyone can do it. Sage is real nice in lots of things so grow some, the flowers look very nice in May.

I also planted 2 small pots of chives at the time, again no fussing, been divided into about 10 plants now. I remove the flowers from 3 of the plants the others I allow to flower look real nice. Actually I have put some in the window box, fits in very well with the summer flowers. Just remember chives will disappear in winter but comes back bigger and stronger in spring. I also have mint in a large container in a slightly shady spot again it dies back in winter but comes back in spring.. I never have any luck with coriander it goes to seed, that’s if it grows in the first place so any pointer would be wonderful, I love the stuff. Just remember not all herbs will grow in the same spot i.e. full sun so just remember to check the label.

Comment

Well, that's what I'm doing with my tomatoes and chillies at the moment. Into the greenhouse in the morning, back in the house overnight.
                              Me too, it's a drag, but necessary.

Originally posted by rootball View Post
                              I put them straight out in the garden ... end of May
                              The days and nights are pretty mild end of May. In April though, we're getting pretty cold nights still. Hence the advice to harden off / take plants in at night

What else is good for cooking and fairly indestructible?
                              Oregano. If you send me some stamps, I'll send you a rooty bit (PM me)

Is coriander supposed to be hardy?
                              No, but it does self-seed if you let it. Basil is a tender annual, and tricky to grow (well, I can't grow it). Sorrel is lovely, makes a big perennial plant, use the leaves in salad (lemon flavour) or in soup

Originally posted by rootball View Post

I never have any luck with coriander it goes to seed,
                              You can buy seeding coriander, or leaf coriander (cilantro). It's still tricky to grow though, doesn't like transplanting either
                              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 28-04-2011, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X