X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what herbs

What herbs can I start growing in the polytunnel in pots

marion

If you want to start now Kittykat I think you would be allright with parsley, mint and chives. I think the others would like the weather a bit warmer, but maybe somebody else has some other suggestions.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think i remember reading somewhere that dill and coriander can be grown all year round so they must be ok

Comment

The coriander I planted outside in September is still growing (at least two of the plants are!) It seems pretty hardy, but I'm expecting to lose it with the frosts.
        Chives are still growing in my pot outside, so should do well in a polytunnel; I've also got parsley in the lottie, which has overwintered well.

Comment

My parsley has overwintered very well. As has my thyme which is showing little sign of slowing down. That was grown from seed and has done me proud. You could try soapwort, fennel, lovage (you may need to wait a little for that one) possibly even sage.
          Bright Blessings
          Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My parsley (curled and flatleaf), oregano (probably marjoram) and rosemary have wintered well in the plytunnel and the sage and thyme just look as though they are going to sprout. Disappointment has been mint this year, but I think I need some new plants. Everything else I find I have to sow fresh each year.

How far south are you KK?
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

My rosemary and bay are flowering at the mo. I've even got new flowers on my lavandula dentata.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi

I have also tried growing corianders and It is still used and i hope that you can also trying it. I dont know much about herbs but i got informations about herbs in a website. Just visit to know more about herbs.
                Last edited by Lesley Jay; 12-02-2007, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Jennie,

If you dig up your mint and pull young stolons from the outside of the root and re plant them in fresh soil they should be OK. I always grow mine in pots sunk in the ground to stop them making a take over bid. This year I am not going to sink the pots to give me a bit more room. Even if the pots are sunk in the ground they need watering as if they weren't.

Hope you have better luck this year
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Welcome to the vine Nikitha. Hope you enjoy it and gather as much useful advice as I have. It's a bit of a madhouse though but great fun.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Hi Nikitha! Welcome to the Grapevine forum. You are only our second member from Asia. I am sure you will enjoy it here.
                      [

Comment

Very interesting sites Nikitha!!
                        Oh...and welcome to the Vine!
                        Looking forward to hearing if you do things differently over there...we all need refreshing new ideas!!
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks for that tip Roitlet - will do!

Welcome Nikitha!
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                            My parsley (curled and flatleaf), oregano (probably marjoram) and rosemary have wintered well in the plytunnel and the sage and thyme just look as though they are going to sprout. Disappointment has been mint this year, but I think I need some new plants. Everything else I find I have to sow fresh each year.

How far south are you KK?
                            I think mint is the exception to the rule Jennie! Most herbs like dry arid conditions but mint likes it a bit boggy!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I am in Camborne Cornwall, Bought a very large round pot, today and I am going to put a varity of herbs in it.

marion

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X