No announcement yet.

what herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jenny and welcome! I can't grow coriander outside at all this far north - even struggles in the polytunnel. So I'm hoping to grow it in my new greenhouse this year (fingers crossed!).
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
      Hi Jenny and welcome! I can't grow coriander outside at all this far north - even struggles in the polytunnel. So I'm hoping to grow it in my new greenhouse this year (fingers crossed!).
      Hi - out of interest, what herbs do you grow out of doors? I am guessing if they are good in Shetland they will work for me here in Fife.

Comment

Went to split my Chives yesterday and found out the roots were full of vine weevil grubs threw them all in the green waste bag and sowed some seeds - I hope they grow.

Comment

Hi - am I right in thinking once you have grown chives from seed, you shouldn't harvest them in the first year but leave them to establish? Maybe this is another point of my going wrong with them.

Comment

Originally posted by jennybain View Post
            Hi - out of interest, what herbs do you grow out of doors? I am guessing if they are good in Shetland they will work for me here in Fife.
            Jenny - only mint, garlic chives and borage so far. And even the mint struggled! I'm going to try oregano this year as I have a couple of well established pots in the polytunnel, but I'll bring them in during the winter. Friends of mine have a more sheltered garden (mine is ravaged by the wind!) and they seem to be reasonably successful with rosemary, oregano, mint, parsley and thyme. All down to how exposed you are. (oh dear that will draw a few comments! especially from Nick!)
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Borage would be good - what do you use it for, or is it just decorative??

Comment

Its not just decorative, borage...the bees love it. I'm planting it up the lane on our allotment site
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

more than a decoration

sorry chaps, borage has several uses:
                  http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/i...rbs/borage.asp

Culinary Uses
                  Borage flowers and leaves are the traditional decoration for gin-based summer cocktails, and may be set in ice cubes to garnish other drinks.
                  The flowers and young leaves may be used to garnish salads. dips, and cucumber soups.
                  Candied borage flowers make attractive cake decorations.
                  Chopped leaves can be added to soups and stews during the last few minutes of cooking.
                  The leaves can be cooked with cabbage leaves (two parts cabbage, one part borage.)
                  Borage does not dry well for culinary use.

Medicinal Use
                  Because it is a tonic plant for the adrenal glands, borage provides an invaluable support for a stressful lifestyle.
                  Borage is rich in minerals, especially potassium.
                  A tea made with borage helps to reduce fevers and ease chest colds.
                  An infusion of borage acts as a galactogogue, promoting the production of milk in breastfeeding mothers.

Other Uses
                  Borage makes an excellent facial steam for improving very dry, sensitive skin.
                  The flowers may be dried to add color to potpourri.

Comment

hi Madderbat. Do you just grow Borage from seed?? Is it perennial?

Comment

Hi Jenny Bain,
                      Yes, you can grow it from seeds. T&M and Suttons have them and you should find them on sale about now. Had to check though, because it's like a pernicious weed round here, and the plants self-seed all over once it gets going. We have loads on the lottie, but I'm following PWs thread about sending cuttings/seedlings in the post - not convinced it would work. Probably safest to go for the seeds. And yes, it is perenniel.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X