No announcement yet.

what herbs

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am planting up some containers for a West facing courtyard patio. At the moment I have rosemary and Bay which grows well - any suggestions for other culinary herbs that can tolerate partial shade and evening sun?

Comment

Hello Jennybain, and welcome to the Vine. You could certainly grow some parsley, mint and coriander there. It might be easier to get them germinated first before putting them out there. Another herb I am growing for the first time this year is Parcel. I think it is a celery flavoured parsley, so if you like that flavour, you could give it a go. Do let us know how you get on, and what else you are growing.
      Nothing to do with anything - but I know just where you are there. Its where my mother in law went on her first date with my father in law 60 years ago.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Quite a lot will tolerate partial shade. If rosemary and bay are growing well you will probably be ok with sage, lavender, lovage, chives, fennel, marjoram and oregano, thyme. Take your pick really.

Welcome to the vine. It's a bit mad in here this evening.
        Bright Blessings
        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Hi - thanks for that - am I right in thinking sage hates any acidic soils? I would love to grow chives, but have never had any success. I sow from seed on the windowsill and they germinate but remain thin, spindly and eventually die off. Any tips?

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
            Hello Jennybain, and welcome to the Vine. You could certainly grow some parsley, mint and coriander there. It might be easier to get them germinated first before putting them out there. Another herb I am growing for the first time this year is Parcel. I think it is a celery flavoured parsley, so if you like that flavour, you could give it a go. Do let us know how you get on, and what else you are growing.
            Nothing to do with anything - but I know just where you are there. Its where my mother in law went on her first date with my father in law 60 years ago.
            Hi - will coriander really grow outside in Scotland? I have grown it on a windowsill (once) and it didn't amount to much at all I'm afraid.

Comment

I don't know about sage and acid soils. I've never had an issue so never had to find out.

Re chives. You may find it easier to start with a pot or a clump from someone else to get going. I've never had much luck with chive seed but have a number of healthy clumps which I periodically divide up to give more clumps.
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

Comment

I have tried buying chive plants as well - they do a bit better but die off after a month or two. Should I only use them sparingly I wonder?

Comment

Hmmm will have to have a think.
                  Bright Blessings
                  Earthbabe

Comment

when I say I have bought chive plants, I mean supermarket herbs.....maybe this was the problem. I will need to see if I know anyone with chives in their garden.

Comment

Or buy from a reputable nursery or garden supplier.
                      Bright Blessings
                      Earthbabe

Comment

yes, I will do. Can't wait to get this herb garden going! A lot of it will be trial and error, but I am sticking religiously to Jekka McVicars Herb book, so hopefully won't go too far wrong!

Comment

Hello Jennybain, yes, coriander will do fine outside . It shouldn't be a problem. It's not winter hardy but will be fine in the frost free months. As for chives, I have had them outside for years and they are fully hardy. If you can get a clump started, a pot from the supermarket will do, harden it off, plant it outside, and it should be fine. Mine flowers every year and seeds all over the gravel path.

Comment

Read your last post Jennybain. If you don't have any success getting the chives started you can have a million seeds from mine when we get to that time of year.

Comment

Hi Alice - I have some coriander seed left over from my previous attempt so will give it a go. In my previous attempt, once the seeds germinated, the growth was long and leggy and it went to seed before many leaves formed. I have read that they don't like being re-potted because of a tap root which can't be disturbed or they will bolt (??). Is this right?

(sorry - I am having to learn the basics here!)

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                                Read your last post Jennybain. If you don't have any success getting the chives started you can have a million seeds from mine when we get to that time of year.
                                great - any seeds/cuttings that folks might have spare would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X