X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had to post some pics. Here's a cpl of Sweet Genovese variety
    Attached Files

Comment

I am sooo jealous what are you feeding em with steroids lol...

Comment

Originally posted by abby View Post
        I am sooo jealous what are you feeding em with steroids lol...
        lol, the bigger ones are about 5 months old, the smaller ones about 8 weeks. I don't feed them anything, they just grow
        Last edited by MrsC; 20-05-2009, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
          A bit too humid maybe? I popped some in my greenhouse last year becuase I was running out windowsill space and it succumbed to the little blighters
          I have read your other replies and moved it back indoor for a bit and will see if it picks up. Sprayed the nasties off Thankyou for youe help
          http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
            I have read your other replies and moved it back indoor for a bit and will see if it picks up. Sprayed the nasties off Thankyou for youe help
            you're welcome, let me know how you get on

Comment

Originally posted by HotStuff View Post

So where are you Ader1? Your location's not on your profile.
              I'm in west Wales HotStuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Ader1 View Post
                I am growing Thai basil now. I got some seeds from Thailand....2 types.....Holy Basil and Sweet Basil. The Sweet Basil must have all germinated and I have a lot of them growing in the green-house now although they aren't looking that good at the moment.....well it's like autumn here. At least there's no frost. The Holy Basil have been another matter. I think that only 4 germinated out of around 50 I think. The Holy Basil are very slow to grow as well. Anyway, I've sent off for some more Holy Basil Seeds to see if I get better luck with another batch. The Thais call them Harap (the sweet varitey) and krapow for the Holy variety just in case you are wanting to follow a recipee which often use these names.

I have seen Holy Basil in India too and they are used in home remedies. Not sure of they can be used in any recipe. But these are very tricky to grow. I have tried these numerous times and eventually given up especially during winter when sunlight is very little the plant tends to die
                cheers Reks

Comment

Originally posted by Reks View Post
                  I have seen Holy Basil in India too and they are used in home remedies. Not sure of they can be used in any recipe. But these are very tricky to grow. I have tried these numerous times and eventually given up especially during winter when sunlight is very little the plant tends to die
                  They are used widely in Thai cooking Reks.....which is why I am trying to grow them. It seems to me from your above post that you have managed to get them to germinate and grow but problems keeping them alive during the winter. That would be fine by me as seeds are cheap enough to come by but as I said, I have been getting trouble in germinating them. Any tips?

Comment

I don't have the space to germinate seeds at home as I have no window ledges other than the small kitchen window ledge which is covered in pots with peppers and chillies. So I just threw some basil seeds in a pot watered it and covered it with cling film and left it outside. I don't know what happened but the pot was soaked after about a week so I took the clingfilm off and moved it inside (a couple of the peppers died) so I got some free space. They seem to be doing OK at the moment, the seeds have germinated and the shoots are looking strong.

I did the same again tonight with some sweet basil, shall see how I get on with them.

Comment

Wow Mrs C those are beautiful plants!
                      Has anyone grown Mrs Burns Lemon? My seedlings look healthy but are turning a bit yellow! Is this normal? Or have the night temps in the GH been too low? Ishall be sowing loads more and Siam Queen.
                      Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
                        Wow Mrs C those are beautiful plants!
                        Has anyone grown Mrs Burns Lemon? My seedlings look healthy but are turning a bit yellow! Is this normal? Or have the night temps in the GH been too low? Ishall be sowing loads more and Siam Queen.
                        Possibly low temps or recently transplanted? I have some Lemon Basil and lots of others that I am going to show now I am on half term

Comment

My plants have really picked up in the GH with the high daytime temps. I shall sow a few more.

Comment

I do grow basil from seed, simply because I got a big bagful from Seeds of Italy, and waste not want not.

I keep the compost barely moist, to avoid damping off, and usually get a good crop.

With regard to cuttings, if you buy a growing pot from a supermarket, take the tips out of the plants. This will encourage the plants to bush out. Put the 'cuttings' in a basin of water. They will root readily. Pot up the cuttings, and cut out the tips and root as before. You can be sure of a regular supply of basil with this method.

It really does work.

valmarg

Comment

I love the packets from Seeds of Italy, they're stuffed full aren't they? (I used to live in Biddulph, and worked at the hospital in leek)

Comment

And near enough to be called shug.

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X