No announcement yet.

Basil Problems.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I managed to grow from seed, but mines got an aphids invasion Nasty bugs.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
      I managed to grow from seed, but mines got an aphids invasion Nasty bugs.
      where is it at the moment?

Comment

I don't think I'll grow basil from seed now, as the results are definitely faster by splitting and taking cuttings from a supermarket pot. I managed to get 4 pots of basil and some cuttings from the pot. I did a trial a couple of weeks ago, and today, I potted up the cuttings as they'd taken root. Pics in my blog:

Basilicious!

Million dollar question...

Last edited by WeeGarden; 16-05-2009, 06:44 PM.
        http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

they dont have basil pots in the supermarkets here , last year i grew loads and loads from seed , this year having real problems...got new seed too!!!Still perservering tho......................
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by WeeGarden View Post
            I don't think I'll grow basil from seed now, as the results are definitely faster by splitting and taking cuttings from a supermarket pot. I managed to get 4 pots of basil and some cuttings from the pot. I did a trial a couple of weeks ago, and today, I potted up the cuttings as they'd taken root. Pics in my blog:

Basilicious!

Million dollar question...

Agree they maybe slightly faster, but you can't get the different types of Basil. It really doesn't take that long and I think the flavour is more intense

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
              where is it at the moment?
              Its in the greenhouse.
              http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Originally posted by MrsC View Post
                Agree they maybe slightly faster, but you can't get the different types of Basil. It really doesn't take that long and I think the flavour is more intense
                True... would like to try growing Thai basil once I get a bit better at growing things - I wonder if they take from cuttings?
                http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

I sow my basil into 8" pots of compost, put them on my sunny windowsill and keep them damp. They grow like wildfire, even here in the chilly north. We have been eating basil sown in Feb for a month now.
                  I have found that they don't do well in either the GH or the conservatory; one too cold and the other too variable, I suspect. For some reason the aphids don't attack them in the living room either. I have five pots now and will sow more as the season progresses.
                  You just can't have too much basil!

Comment

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
                    Its in the greenhouse.
                    A bit too humid maybe? I popped some in my greenhouse last year becuase I was running out windowsill space and it succumbed to the little blighters

Comment

Originally posted by WeeGarden View Post
                      True... would like to try growing Thai basil once I get a bit better at growing things - I wonder if they take from cuttings?

I am growing Thai basil now. I got some seeds from Thailand....2 types.....Holy Basil and Sweet Basil. The Sweet Basil must have all germinated and I have a lot of them growing in the green-house now although they aren't looking that good at the moment.....well it's like autumn here. At least there's no frost. The Holy Basil have been another matter. I think that only 4 germinated out of around 50 I think. The Holy Basil are very slow to grow as well. Anyway, I've sent off for some more Holy Basil Seeds to see if I get better luck with another batch. The Thais call them Harap (the sweet varitey) and krapow for the Holy variety just in case you are wanting to follow a recipee which often use these names.

Comment

Took your advice on a previous thread Mrs C and my basil is doing really well now, 5 to a 5" pot. Thanks very much.
                        Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

i planted basil from seed for the first time this year and they all germinated well, they are in my conservatory, in my inexperienced enthusiasm i potted on some too early and now they're struggling, the ones left have taken better but i'm also having aphid/greenfly problems, i've swuished as may as i can but basil is quite fragile and i worried that i'll squish that too, on a positive note the aphid have only effected my basil which is good because i have loads of tomatos, peppers chillis etc that havent been touched, so i may use it as a sacrificial plant in the future?
                          "Example is not the main thing in influencing others, it is the only thing."

Comment

I haven't had much luck with Basil, but I'm determined as I love the taste so much. I now have small pots of half a dozen varieties on the go and it's a daily battle against the Apids.

Originally posted by Ader1 View Post
                            .....well it's like autumn here. At least there's no frost.
                            So where are you Ader1? Your location's not on your profile.
                            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

I started my basil in a hanging basket and that is where it will live fo rthe summer, its doing great, in the unheated greenhouse for past 5 days. A few more weeks and it will be hung out with the tumbling toms.

Comment

Originally posted by raine View Post
                                How do i take cuttings? i love basil!
                                Have a skeg at my blog!
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X