No announcement yet.

Plant identification

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Nick. For 17 it's just what's in my hand. Do nettles have chunky, nobbly roots?

Comment

15. I've just checked my Sweet Williams - the seed heads look the same but the Jonah's leaves look a lot healthier than mine.
      16. ?Iris - looks variegated - or a trick of the light!

Nettles have yellow stringy roots.

Comment

Originally posted by jonahjonah View Post
        Thanks, Nick. For 17 it's just what's in my hand. Do nettles have chunky, nobbly roots?
        As VC says nettle roots are usually a bit like yellow phone leads (and about as strong), but sometimes when they double back on themselves they do go all knobbly, especially if damaged and the stalks often appear at those points - "acid test", take the glove off next time and see if it stings you :-)

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
          15. I've just checked my Sweet Williams - the seed heads look the same but the Jonah's leaves look a lot healthier than mine.
          16. ?Iris - looks variegated - or a trick of the light!

Nettles have yellow stringy roots.
          On the Sweet William or not, I'd like a better photo from side on - but what I can see of the seed head the top doesn't look flat enough to me. Anyway simplest to leave a patch and see what the flowers come out like - should confirm it easily enough then :-)

Comment

I'll try to remember an additional photo for 15. It's occupying a lot of space right now, so I'll have to at least move and probably ditch quite a bit of it. I hate to get rid of perfectly good plants but it's hogging a lot of space. This is a photo of the foliage from a better distance:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180411_161424933.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	2377208

The putative iris was variegated.

This area will probably be a cut flower patch in part, so hopefully these plants can coexist peacefully with some annuals.

Comment

That looks like a "grass" rather than part of the flower head.

Comment

Haha, you can tell I don't know what I'm looking at. There was another ornamental grass planted on the plot which took an absolute age to dig out. At least I'll feel less guilty about digging that up.

Comment

I think its that awful spreading stuff - I have a similar variegated one. Luckily, its all in the front garden and can't creep around the side of the house.
                  Wait for a 2nd opinion though as I can be wrong (frequently).

Comment

I'll try to remember an additional photo for 15. It's occupying a lot of space right now, so I'll have to at least move and probably ditch quite a bit of it. I hate to get rid of perfectly good plants but it's hogging a lot of space. This is a photo of the foliage from a better distance:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79503[/ATTACH]

The putative iris was variegated.

This area will probably be a cut flower patch in part, so hopefully these plants can coexist peacefully with some annuals.
                    If its not grass then its doing a damn good job of looking as though it is.

Comment

Well, I'm glad to be clueless in this case. I will happily reclaim that area (while trying to preserve the part that actually was flowering).

Comment

I'm still confused. I know, you're not surprised. I dug around my seed head from 15/grassy area today and I can't tell them apart. In any case, below are a few more pictures. There's a seed head just right of center in the last.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180413_133730402.jpg
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2377236Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180413_133745564.jpg
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2377237Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180413_134708262.jpg
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	2377238

Happily, I have cleared the area near some of the previously identified plants and popped in some perennials and bulbs.

Comment

I "think" its a grass seed head and it spreads by seed and roots.
                          If it were mine, I'd dig it out.

Comment

I'm still confused. I know, you're not surprised. I dug around my seed head from 15/grassy area today and I can't tell them apart. In any case, below are a few more pictures. There's a seed head just right of center in the last.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79553[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79554[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]79555[/ATTACH]

Happily, I have cleared the area near some of the previously identified plants and popped in some perennials and bulbs.
                            Apart from the fact that the leaves and the seed head go together, I don't recognise it - quite likely VC is right and its a grass which seeds itself. There are 1,000s of grasses out there so you may want to get it in front of a more people - someone will know what it is.

Comment

That makes sense. It has a short reprieve until I figure out what it is or get desperate for space.

Comment

There are some in my parents' garden. Seed themselves around everywhere and then grow into big clumps. I'd get it out if I were you. Don't know what it's called, sorry.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X