Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 Need to see the flower head
    9 ?
    10/11. Does it smell like an onion/leek?
    12 Maybe Euphorbia/spurge

Comment

Photo 8 could be yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia), but it could be lots of other things...
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Ah, it's probably day lilies in 10/11. There are loads in another part of the patch. They didn't smell of onion, but I thought it might be because I have a cold. They are lighter green than the others, but they are living in rather less favorable conditions.

I'll get a photo of the seed heads for the other when I'm back down there. Should have thought about it before. Oops!

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Well, I seem to have imagined the seed heads on number 8. Only stalks when I had a look today.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180405_171132738.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	2377091

This is a side-on view of 9.

Name:	IMG_20180402_173808533.jpg
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	2377090

This one grew on a pale green stalk and the flower was pink. Does anyone recognize it?

Name:	IMG_20180405_152055905.jpg
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	2377092

Thanks, as always. I am having a great time learning about these flowers.

Comment

The last photo looks like a persicaria bistorta. What are the leaves like? Are they flat and wide like dock?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
              The last photo looks like a persicaria bistorta. What are the leaves like? Are they flat and wide like dock?
              I had a quick Google and I don't think that's what it is. It's about 1.5 ft or 45 cm tall. The foliage was pale, almost frosted green. Reminded me of a succulent.

Comment

What shape were the leaves?

Comment

Sorry! I got distracted from the question at hand. I can't properly remember the leaf shape. I think it was an oval or a pointed oval.

I'm just being silly now, I suppose. That plant is staying anyway, so I can show a proper picture when it flowers. Sorry for the bother!

Comment

We like the challenge of identifying plants - so keep them coming.
                    All the more the merrier!

Comment

I'm back with some more photos. I'm at the back of the patch now, which was too overgrown for me to see much of anything last year. All I have to go on are the photos in this case.

Name:	IMG_20180411_161105241.jpg
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	2377201
                      14. This one is growing under the holly bushes. It looks pleasant. I don't want to take it out unless it's likely to be a problem as far as spreading.

Name:	IMG_20180411_161113990.jpg
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	2377202
                      15. This is a seed head in some green growth.

Name:	IMG_20180411_161421629.jpg
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	2377203
                      16. No ideas about this one. It gives me pause when I find a bulb/tuber/corm rather than roots though.

Name:	IMG_20180411_162625750.jpg
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	2377204
                      17. I had assumed this was a weed as it's growing all over. If you look in the glove, though, it also has a more serious root system than I expected.

Name:	IMG_20180411_162901527.jpg
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	2377205

I eagerly await your guesses, gardeners. Hopefully my ignorance is your bliss.

Comment

13 ? another sedum
                        14. London pride
                        15. Sweet William
                        16. ?Iris
                        17. ? cranesbill??

Comment

Thanks as always, VC I'm beginning to think that the former tenant of my plot really liked sedum. I hope it transplants well as some of it will need to find a new home.

Comment

I'm not convinced about the sedum, could be a stachys or summat else.
                            Most of the plants seem to be "easy" growers, easy to split and transplant and good for bees and insects.
                            Should look lovely in summer.

Comment

That all sounds good to me. My plan is to have flowers as well as fruit and vegetables, so I don't mind a bit. Just need to nudge things into positions that will leave me room for the edibles.

Comment

Going from VC's work as a starting point :-

3 ? another sedum - yes
                                14. London pride - yes
                                15. Sweet William - I don't think so - not sure what it is though
                                16. ?Iris - almost certainly, may well be the common Iris - yellow flowers and brown pea type seeds - will grow in water
                                17. ? cranesbill?? - I can only see a nettle in that one - am I supposed to be looking in the back-ground ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X