Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have made a flower box to plant 3 roses into the dimensions are 4ft by 2ft by 20 inches deep I will also plant some petunias for ground cover in the box, but OH thinks that the box is a bit big, I can reduce the hight by 5 inches quite easily but I will not reduce the length or width of the box so what hight would you recommend filling the box is not a problem
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• I've never been able to keep a rose happy in a pot for more than about three years, but they've gone on to do fine when I've planted them out. Likely because I haven't spent enough time looking after them, so serves me right.

I think the larger the better pot, and the David Austen site says "For best results, your pot should be at least 16” (40cm) deep and 16” (40cm) across. It is surprising how much difference a larger pot will make to the performance of your rose. As the growth of your rose is determined to a large extent by the size of the root, we always recommend as large a pot as possible. A larger pot will also retain moisture for longer, which is key to a healthy vigorous plant."

If you can make it 20 inches deep, so much the better.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• Thanks Babru I have kept it at 20 inches deep, do you grow David Austen roses and if so are you pleased with them I tried growing D. A. roses a number of years ago but they didn't do very well I think it was too wet for them, so wonder if they are any better nowadays
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• I have had various Austens over the years, some better than others. I'm in Edinburgh though, so drier but colder than you (I'm from Ayrshire originally so I know what you're talking about).

One that has always been great is Gertrude Jekyll, a good do-er, strong and tough, great perfume. Others I would recommend as disease free would be The Mayflower, Princess Anne. Queen of Sweden has less scent but is a strong grower. Others that have done well have been Gentle Hermione and Glamis Castle.

I don't like all Austens (I hate droopy flower heads eg Lady Emma Hamilton, had to go!), but the ones I've listed have done well for me.

Comment

• Is it possible to take a cutting from a climbing rose? If so, how do I do it, and is this a suitable timer of year?
            We’re moving house, and I’d like to take the rose in the back garden to our new place.

Thanks!
            He-Pep!

Comment

• ^^^
              love that colour
              Northern England.

Comment

• Originally posted by B Porcupine View Post
                Babru:
                I second Munstead Wood. A lovely dark colour and quite scented; a great rose of anyan colour. I also have an LD Braithewaite - it did poorly in one location in my garden, so, hating to be wasteful, I put it on the other side of the fence, facing the road and it had thrived: lovely velevty red flowers, though not much scent. But the heads are up and proud!
                Just ordered a bare root Munstead Wood. OH and I saw it in flower in Saughton rose garden in October, and even that late on it was looking good and had a fantastic perfume. Definitely the one for me.

Comment

• Just goooogled that baru ....wow- what a stunning rose!
                  Almost could pass as a peony!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I’ve just checked and DA are planning on resuming sales in Europe, so that’s deffo one on my tick list!!!
                    Last edited by Nicos; 26-02-2021, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	arch.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	2518876Click image for larger version

Name:	pilg.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	2518877Click image for larger version

Name:	Ferd.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2518878 I have 3 roses Blush Noisette over the arch. the lemon yellow on is The Pilgrim a DA rose. And the final one is Ferdinand Pichard.

All are scented but I may sneak a couple more in on the lotty.
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

• I have The Pilgrim rose !!! It’s really lovely

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          I’ve just checked and DA are planning on resuming sales in Europe, so that’s deffo one on my tick list!!!
                          That's good news about DA exporting to Europe Nicos. I hope some of the small nurseries will be able to as well soon, but maybe not worth their while.

My Munstead Wood arrived and is now planted. It gets a good rating from Angus, East Anglia, I have a friend in Somerset who loves hers, plus the one I saw doing well in Edinburgh. Looks like it's suitable for lots of varying locations, a good do-er.

Comment

• So, nick and Nicos, can I ask, does The Pilgrim have good strong, upright flower heads....no drooping? It's very beautiful indeed, but after my experience with droopy Lady Emma Hamilton I'm cautious with Austens with those beautiful, full-petalled flowers. They are heavy and need strong stems to hold them up.

Comment

• I'm after some roses for:
                              North East facing on a fence in shade. Something that gets going in my clay soil.
                              I think neighbour must have rambler ? With small hips? Has romped away on lots of long stems in full sun.

East facing front walk through part of pergola early morning sun.

Northern England.

Comment

• Hello!
                                How do roses spread other than by David Austen delivery vans?
                                A rose has sprung up on the front garden boundary between our house and next door. As part of the planting scheme back in the 70s, there were roses everywhere. We have a lovely pink scented climber on the front of our house, and next door has a yellow one. I've let this rose grow to see what it is, but how might it have got there?

Also, how long do new rose plants take to flower? (a) for this new appearance in the front, and (b) I took a cutting in winter 2019 from the rose, it has taken nicely (lots of leaves and new growth), but no flowers last year, and none yet this year? How long before I give it the Crowley treatment?
                                Neil Gaiman — ‘He had heard about talking to plants in the early seventies, on Radio Four, and thought it was an excellent idea. Although talking is perh...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X