Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mine aren't flowering yet, I think it's partly the orientation of the house meaning front and back gardens are in deep shade half the day.
    But
    ...but...
    ...butbutbut...

I took two cuttings of my favourite rose last year (in accordance with advice from here), one is in full leaf d the other is probably-not-dead! Pretty good results as I've never got any roses to take before.

🙂

Comment

• Only tiny buds here, and I hard pruned the Gloire de Dijon that's in the greenhouse, because it had really bad scale insect infestation - so there won't be any early flowers on that one this year, either.

I have 1 Evelyn cutting that's taken, plus 2 of Buff Beauty, sadly the Munstead ones both died, so 3 out of 6 - ain't bad going

Comment

• Originally posted by bikermike View Post
        Mine aren't flowering yet, I think it's partly the orientation of the house meaning front and back gardens are in deep shade half the day.
        But
        ...but...
        ...butbutbut...

I took two cuttings of my favourite rose last year (in accordance with advice from here), one is in full leaf d the other is probably-not-dead! Pretty good results as I've never got any roses to take before.

🙂
        Well my roses have all flowered and are generally looking lovely.

One of my cuttings is doing very nicely, but it hasn't flowered this year - is this usual? (I'm not sure the other one has made it)

Mike

Comment

• I've never grown Roses from cuttings Mike, but my grafted ones are looking a bit battered by the rain and wind, hopefully they will perk up now the weathers forecast to improve a bit.

Comment

• The past three months have seen OH busy continuing with the landscaping in our garden. I have space for another rose or two, one up a six foot post (used to have a fence panel attached), and one in a flower bed. Both get plenty of sun. I don't have any red roses, so am looking for any recommendations for either spot. Top priority is health, as I don't spray. Needs to repeat flower. Scent would be a bonus, but I'm realistic...

Any beautiful red rose suggestions?

Oh and no droopy flowers please! David Austen website calls it nodding I think, but it looks like drooping heads to me! I had to take out a Lady Emma Hamilton as it drove me mad. Not all Austens are like this I know eg Gertrude Jekyll has wonderfully upright flowers. Thanks!
            Last edited by Babru; 16-06-2020, 07:17 AM. Reason: Remembered droopy flowers
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• We have a nice red one Munstead Wood I think is the name, scented and quite upright.

Comment

• Babru:
                I second Munstead Wood. A lovely dark colour and quite scented; a great rose of anyan colour. I also have an LD Braithewaite - it did poorly in one location in my garden, so, hating to be wasteful, I put it on the other side of the fence, facing the road and it had thrived: lovely velevty red flowers, though not much scent. But the heads are up and proud!

Comment

• Thanks burnie and B Porcupine. Burnie, you posted a photo of a red rose last July, is that your Munstead Wood?
                  Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Babru View Post
                    Thanks burnie and B Porcupine. Burnie, you posted a photo of a red rose last July, is that your Munstead Wood?
                    Yes it is, once fully open the weight does pull them over a bit as you can see.

Comment

• I have a very old rose, at least over 50yrs old. I believe it is a Floribunda. It has a mix of 5 and 7 leaves on it's stems, which I believe is normal for older style roses. It is need of pruning now the flowers are finished and so I get a second flush but I'd like to know how hard I can prune it at this time of year. Ideally I'd like to cut it right down to maybe a couple of feet to try and get more new shoots and reinvigorate this grand old lady.

Any help appreciated.
                      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• This may be of help, I have to admit I'm a rather poor pruner of Roses, never really learnt the dark art.
                        https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=176

Comment

• Oh..... whoops. I am really brutal with my roses, whenever they are in the way / getting too big, or I just know I have time to prune them, and it's always been in autumn for me. That that said, I think the oldest roses in my garden are around 20 years so maybe they can take way more of a beating

Thanks for the article Burnie - looks like I also don't have the dark art (actually, I'm the definite haphazard end of the scale )
                          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

• Thanks for the link Burnie, very useful, just not sure I am brave enough to cut this old lady down to the ground.

Shortie - That's kind of the way I do things too, but this rose is so old and was planted by the previous owners Grandparents I believe and some of the family still live locally, I'd be the worst woman in the world if I caused it's demise!
                            Last edited by peanut; 26-06-2020, 08:10 PM.
                            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

• This video is excellent it taught me how to cut back the rose,gave me confidence before I tackled the Rose at my mums house that’s trained against the front of the house,I need to prune it again,it’s reaching the soffit & it went through a gap by the guttering last time. You can be quite brutal with them,this video helps you tackle it in stages it’s really helpful
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNiOW1kBNGo

Comment

• Peanut, prune your rose bush to an outward facing bud.
                                Take out the weak branches or those that are crossing each other.
                                Prune it lightly in the autumn and prune it again in early spring.
                                If you get a very harsh winter you dont want to loose all your new growth.
                                So, when you're sure the bush has made it through winter you can then prune it a bit harder.
                                Hope this helps.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...