Cut Flowers 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cut Flowers 2017

Feel free to set your own challenge or just post when you can. It was lovely to see what everyone grew last year and I look forward to what peeps have this year.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...6-a_89377.html
    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...4-a_77445.html

Don't forget with all your flowery offerings that you can also join VC's flower seed circle http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...7-a_92089.html

My aim this year is a vase a week (eventually). I had hoped to cheat with dried flowers but was a little late and the few I had didn't make it. I would also like to do at least 6 flower craft/makes i.e pot pourri, essential oil, candle embellishments etc.

I have a 90cm by 2.5m bed set aside for cut flowers, plus space in each bed and around the feet of trees for flowers and just need to choose what to grow. I'd like to have lots of flowers for the house. Last year I grew loads of white cosmos and they looked fab on the plot and boring at home. Likewise nigella - lovely in the ground and short-lived & messy at home...
    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Don't forget you can use your veg flowers and herbs are great for foliage, fillers, flowers and scent. I learnt so much doing the thread last year and have found myself looking at plants differently for it - just hope it shows in this years thread

Edit: Also if you have all white flowers you can play of shapes and textures rather than colour or you could dye them (I know it is not to everyones liking but just an idea)
      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 02-01-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Week 1, vase 1

Attached Files

Comment

Ooooh, I'll get in on this, my grow area is being myexed for 18 months and so am putting pallets where the bed will be and growing in buckets on top.

5 dahlias, providing they all overwinter, New baby, Downham Royal, red ball type, bishop of Llandaff and Procyon. - They were kicked off the balcony after discovering 10 was too many for a 8ftx4ft balcony if you want anything else on there or anywhere to sit.
          Zinnia
          Rudbeckia Cherry brandy and Irish spring (if it overwinters)
          Cosmos Ladybird mix
          Nicotiana Lime green
          Dill
          Antirhinnum Day and night
          Clary sage

Plus a 1m x 2m bed of 'mexican meadow mix' with marigolds, coneflower, tithonia, and others

oh and arches of sweet peas. Francis kate and Nimbus

Comment

I will try to do this! I may try to stick them in some foam though as I'm not too good at clearing my vases weekly

Comment

This year is going to be colourful! And very scented. Am looking forward to getting the seed sown.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Thanks for posting the link to last year's thread - I was elsewhere last year.

I've just read through it all (sitting in bed, pot of coffee) and it's so inspiring. Good advice about using 'green stuff' to fill out the vases. I've been lucky enough to inherit a huge Continus tree and a Bay tree - they are both monster sized.

Anyone else fascinated by Martin's drinks cupboard? Just me then
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

I sort of cut this weeks flowers...........from paper rather the garden Silver birch scavenged, ivy and eucalyptus from the garden

Attached Files

Comment

I have done week 3 a bit early and yes I struggled so much I have weeds this week

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0016 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	2370975
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 05-02-2017, 11:54 AM. Reason: re-attaching pic

Comment

You need a few dogwood shrubs...they've got lovely red stems for a bit of interest!

Well done though...nothing has been picked here since the week before Christmas, though ive only just chucked those out been looking at those shrivelled arrangements for a free days

Comment

Week 4 - Fail
                        Week 5

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2370970 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0001.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	2370969

Week 6

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	2370971

Please note I wouldn't usually cut snowdrops but I was gifted some mystery bulbs and so they are just sat in kitty litter trays in the plant nursery, so I would rather pick 'em

Comment

I always feel guilty picking them though. How do i over come this?! This year mine will hopefully be full of flowers and some will come In the house. Not just sweet peas which I know benefit from a regular picking.
                          You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Is anyone else having problems with Norfolkgrey's attachment? When I click on it, it shows as invalid. Is this another problem if you use an iPad to view and use this site? I can view her three photos but not her earlier attachment.
                            Last edited by cheops; 05-02-2017, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Which attachment cheops?
                              Virtually all attachments prior to 21st January are not viewable but today's should be.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X