Cut Flowers 2017

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ancee View Post
    I always feel guilty picking them though. How do i over come this?! This year mine will hopefully be full of flowers and some will come In the house. Not just sweet peas which I know benefit from a regular picking.
    Just thin what you have rather than strip. So if there is a clump of 5 daffs cut 2 or 3 and if you have a bush just take some low bits or bits at the back or even bits where it will allow air to the plant. Also try to look at what you call weeds they could be classed as wild flowers, so to stop them self seeding you might as well chop the flowers off so they don't spread. You can use herb and veg flowers as well and seed heads. Twirly twigs, or ones with catkins or lichen. Somethings might be the result of wind or animal damage. There is no reason why having cut flowers should detract from your garden.

You can get winter and early flowering plants that if you are not outside you are not appreciating as the scent is fantastic and strong (sweet box, winter honeysuckle, daphne etc.) I have one farty little piece of sweet box in the porch and it fills it with its scent even though it is getting a bit old now.
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 05-02-2017, 12:07 PM.

Comment

The fourth submission to this thread submitted at 6.34 - veggie

Comment

Sorry cheops - that's before the 21st January watershed. We hope they'll be recovered - until then you'll have to use your imagination
        Think pretty flowers

Comment

Thanks Veggie for explaining that. I can see it now -how beautiful and exotic - a metre high spread of tropical flowers and orchids which is testament to norfolks prowess at growing flowers no one else can. Truly stunning!! I feel humbled.

Comment

NG's January flowers are really special. To grow such rarities in January in our cold winter and then arrange them so skilfully. Amazing!
            Well done NG, you're an inspiration to us all

Comment

Picked this morning from a very icy allotment - quaking grass, iris, sweet rocket, helichrysum and cerinthe (I'm surprised the last 3 mentioned are flowering at this time of year )
              Attached Files

Comment

Week 7

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0070.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2371084 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0024.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2371085

Comment

Week 8 Looks like the last week with snowdrops

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2371194

Comment

Week 9

Name:	DSCF0005.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	2371288

Comment

Week 10

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2371343

Comment

Got a load of seed sown for my cut flower bed in this week. Cerinthe, cornflower, borage, dill, salvias, argeratum, plus potted up my antirhinnums. Plus my geum came into flower this week, one solitary little flower but a start! Soon i shall be joining you!

Comment

Looking forward to seeing everyone's flower bounty this year

Comment

Week 11

Just in case anyone is interested, I discovered hellebores don't like anything added to their water.

Name:	DSCF0014.jpg
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	2371480 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0012.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	2371481

Then a rehash of last weeks flowers as my girls picked a few cups worth.

Name:	DSCF0010.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2371482

Comment

Week 12 - the first of my tulips (time is starting to go a bit quickly ) and my 50p charity shop vase

Name:	DSCF0024.jpg
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	2371629

Comment

No photos but have had a bunch of daffy per week for a while now. Youngest v keen on picking primulas so have been floating them in shallow bowls - v pretty. Can't bring myself to pick hellebores.....
                                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X