No announcement yet.

Flowers to Take Over My Garden ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

see, aquiliegia (sp?) I can let anywhere, cos its small and delicate, and disapears after flowering. but bergenia, with those vile leaves.....!

Comment

FVV
      I bow down before your spelling prowess. I love them as well, but then that's what Jennie was initially looking for - nice flowers that would spread and self seed all over her garden.
      I have a Bergenia - rescued it from a garden we were digging up last year - if it's a bit of a thug, it better watch out or it'll be unrescued.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Don't the leaves turn plum coloured in the autumn or am I thinking of something else?

If you want a nice plant for Autumn how about Sedum Spactable, spreads looks good & good for late nectar for bee's & butterflies
        Last edited by nick the grief; 10-04-2006, 09:05 PM.
        ntg
        Never be afraid to try something new.
        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
        ==================================================

Comment

My bergenia does indeed turn red in autumn. I like it because it's a hardy b*****r (self-censorship!) and stays evergreen even in the frozen wastelands of my tundra/garden. Anything that doesn't go dead-looking in winter has my instant vote of approval!

not sure what variety the bergenia is though.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

down here, bergenia leaves go black in the spring. not pretty!

Comment

Is it a perennial or a shrub ? - trying to find it in my handy book of plants, but not succeeding yet.
              ~
              Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
              ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Hi Jenny, Dr Hessayons book says it is a large leaved perrinial with pink, white, red or purple flowers. Given the right conditions it will spread giving ground cover. In the autumn the leaves turn red. It gives color nearly all year round.
                Hope this is helpful.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I've not had a problem with my crocosmia. A couple of years ago, when we first moved into our house, I wanted to dig up a whole bed of the stuff and was told it couldn't be done by several gardening friends. They advised me that it would be a nightmare as I would have to dig very very deep. But I was determined and found that I didn't need to dig very deep at all, even though the plants had been established in the same bed for 15 years. I have since successfully divided and moved big clumps of them to other parts of the garden and they've settled in fine and there has been no regrowth at all where they were planted originally.

As for Clematis Montana - I am so chuffed to hear it grows so fast as I've just planted a couple of them on either side of my garden. We've got a metal railing fence that runs around the perimeter of our garden and it's at a really funny angle and makes all the other straight lines in our garden look wonky, so I thought I could soften the edges by growing this clematis along both sides of the garden - I can't wait for it to start!

Comment

Mine grows about 2' per week Eskymo, I cut it back regularly to try and keep it in check & a bit more compact

Heres a foto I found of it.

replaced on another post due to gremlins
                    Last edited by nick the grief; 15-04-2006, 11:08 AM. Reason: Foto Added
                    ntg

Comment

i can't see your picture - I get this error - "Invalid Attachment specified". Can you check your link as I'd love to see an image of your clematis.

Comment

My montana clematis only grows about 2 feet a year and its in the polytunnel - you lot are SO lucky !
                        ~
                        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I can see it OK Eskymo. I'll try & post it again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BroughtonStar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2317739
                          ntg

Comment

I can see it now NTG, cheers for posting the picture again - it looks amazing. I just hope mine starts growing soon. I got two [buy one get one free bundle] and one looks great and full of life and the other looks like a twig. It always happend like that with BOGOF deals doesn't it!!! One should have white flowers and the other pink. Do they take a while to get established? and do they flower in the first year?

Comment

Woah! Whats that on the other side of the fence? 'Nuneaton Family Robinson'???
                              To see a world in a grain of sand
                              And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Wow - see what you mean NTG with 2' a week! How long have you had it planted? Mine is a very pale pink - is it the same sort do you think? I'll try and find a picture of mine and have a go at posting. Not tried that yet
                                ~
                                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X