Flowers to Take Over My Garden ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nick the grief
    I've got a montana Clematis that is rampant it's a dusky pink double called Broughton Star grows about 2' a week !!! I'll root you a cutting of it JA see what it makes of Shetland.
    Thanks NTG I would be delighted if you could root me a cutting - 2' a week - WOW. Nothing grows that fast here (well ......... except for rhubarb).

And Andrew - a clematis with fab seedheads. Sounds great. Sorry to both of you, not to reply before, been away and now off again! Packing in all my visiting kids and relatives before the frantic seed sowing in May!

Bit worried about the sycamore news - one of Shetland's few trees that grow to any size. My OH turns alot of items from sycamore (not very much local wood though), it really is a wonderful wood - sometimes wild with spalting, other times, quite light. But you can't beat oak .............
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Crocosmia is a utter pain in the rear, I agree with a point here that no matter how much you dig it up it comes back. I have had a two year battle in one my borders trying to be rid of this. If anyone does buy this then use the same trick for Mint and Bamboo and sink a pot into your border and plant into that. Well contained it won't spread and does look amazing in August\September time when it flowers.
      --
      http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

I love crocosmia!
        euphorbia now - that's a b*st*rd thing!! (just spent 2 hours trying to dig it out...)

Comment

& the sap is a bad as well. Make sure you don't get it in your eyes or swallow it.

Having said that I've got two that aren't too bad. I hsvnt got a foto of them unfurtunatly
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Not tried euphorbia - anyone know of one I could start with? There seem to be an awful lot of them out there.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I can't remember the variety I've got but it does spread about if you don't keep an eye on it - seeds & runners - my neighbour has been invaded by mine but luckily he likes it. You do have to be careful with the sap so wear gloves if you are cutting it. I wear rubber gloves so I can wash the sap off them after.
              Attached Files
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hmm looks rather nice SueA - anyone know what it is? somewhat the same colouring as Alchemilla Mollis, which I pull out by the handful, but I quite like it.
                ~
                ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Nicos - it's bound to be one of the euphorbias. I suggest you have a look on Sarah Raven's site and you'll be able to identify it. It's great for flower arranging but don't pick it without gloves - the sap is a serious irritant.

Comment

The plant in my pic. might be euphorbia robbiae (not sure if that's how you spell it) it was from a local nursery & I lost the label but it was a fairly common type.
                    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Tigger- it turned out to be loosestrife and I've sent some up to Jennie! If it takes over Shetland.....you know who to blame!!!!
                      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Got the loosestrife potted and can't wait for someone to say - whats that in your garden ! I'm sure I have never seen it growing up here.

There was quite a bit about euphorbias on Gardeners World last night - obviously Sarah Raven (is that who you refer to as "the coat" NTG?) has a passion for them. She was talking about the sap, sounds quite nasty if you get some on your skin.
                        Last edited by JennieAtkinson; 08-04-2006, 03:09 PM.
                        ~
                        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Yep Thats "the Coat"
                          ntg

Comment

also bergenia, which I think is also known as elephants ears. bloody thug!!!

Comment

Mustn't forget Aqualegia - self seeds like crazy.
                              Rat

British by birth
                              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

How about Dandelions
                                ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X