Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planted out lupins and dahlia seedlings. Still got cosmos to plant out. I used to think nicotiana was half hardy, but last years plants are beginning to flower again. They had no winter protection, so I'm quite impressed with them.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

After being so organised earlier in the year I am now way behind.
      On Sunday I finally got round to sowing my Zinnia, Cosmos, Nasturtiums, Ipomoea, Tagetes, Marigolds, Linaria and Borage.
      Some Zinnia, Cosmos and Ipomoea are already poking through.
      Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
      Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
      https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
      Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

Mothhawk, same here.
        Grew nicotiana lastvyear for the first time.
        They are flowering again at the moment.

And when your back stops aching,
        And your hands begin to harden.
        You will find yourself a partner,
        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Interesting comments on nicotiana which I have just planted out. Mine are the tall variety and I have some on the sunny and some on the shady side of the garden so will compare and contrast. Most cosmos now planted out and the first dahlia is in its pot. I am still trying to grow some nasturtium to add variety to the self seeded ones but so far only the row I sowed direct is responding.

Comment

My nicotiana died back over winter but must have self seeded as came back last year and signs of it again this year. Can’t remember the name but it was the one with the green flowers. All my zinnia, sunflowers, cosmos and dahlias out in the bed. Just growing in my nigella and a few leftovers in the cold frame until a bit bigger.

Comment

Mine's the green one too. Nicotiana alata "Lime Green". The RHS website actually says they are short lived perennials.
              Endless wonder.

Comment

I have a trayful of calendula seedlings and nowhere to put them. it was really old (5+ years) self saved seed so I sowed the lot, and I think every blooming one germinated! I've planted out quite a few where I wanted them. I'm thinking maybe I'll plant the rest in all the gaps in the small veg bed I have. I hate to discard any seedlings.
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Sowed sweet William for next year. The ones I grew from seed last July, overwintered and then planted out in spring, have not flowered although they have bulked out and look really healthy. Maybe they will flower later this year - or next?

Comment

The ones I sowed in July 2020 are flowering for the first time this year, so yours probably won't flower this year, SS. They are treated as biennials though they are short lived perennials, so need to be two years old before they will flower.
                    Endless wonder.

Comment

I've sometimes found foxgloves take two years to flower, even if they've been sown in good time. Always wondered why.
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I've sometimes found foxgloves take two years to flower, even if they've been sown in good time. I've always wondered why.
                        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Sweet Williams up and pricked out. Thanks for the explanation Mothhawk. I had been expecting that they would behave like my honesty does but know now I just have to be more patient!

Comment

I sow Sweet Williams in May and they flower the following year. The plants generally survive and flower again the year after.
                            Having said that, the ones I sowed this May are still very small. I blame the compost! So I expect those won't flower very well in 2023 but will put on a really good show the next year.

They often die off after the second flowering, so I generally compost them at that point.
                            My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                            Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Because I like to have something in the GH over winter I sowed some cornflowers and some hollyhocks. The hollyhocks were from just collected seed and this is the first time I have attempted them so will see how it goes.
                              NB one of my 2021 summer planted sweet williams has decided now is the time to flower

Comment

Thread closed here's a link to new thread

The flower seed sowing thread 2023 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)

Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X