This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The flower seed sowing thread 2023

A new thread for a new year, here's a last years for comparison.

The flower seed sowing thread 2022 - The Grapevine (growfruitandveg.co.uk)

Location....East Midlands.

Didn't want to start too early, but all of these have a February start date and presumably take a long time to reach a decent size:
    Gaura Summer Breeze
    Papaver rupifragum
    Agastache Arcado Pink
    Verbena rigida Intensity
    These are all drought resistant, and I'm trying to move more that way, as last summer it was hard to keep plants alive due to the lack of rain. This summer will be a washout probably.
    Last edited by Babru; 04-02-2023, 06:42 AM.
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Personally I would hold off for a month, or so, remember the dates on seed packets are just a guide, aimed mostly for the south of England, I have never tried growing verbena rigida, but verbena seeds need a steady temperature, I have grown verbena bonariensis a number of times, but it has never survived the winter, but as I said, never tried rigida
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Rigida is really attractive, similar shape to bonariensis but smaller. Not as hardy either. My bonariensis are still alive after the cold weather, hope they make it. I'm on a raised beach and my soil is very well drained, so they might.

I hear what you're saying rary, and I agree about the south of England, but it would be nice to get a flower from the new plants this year.

I'm holding off my greenhouse tomatoes till March. And WON'T be growing an aubergine this year! It was interesting to do, but I wouldn't give up the space again for ONE aubergine.....

Comment

If you are close to the sea, you won't have the same problem with low temperatures that I experience, though if rigida is less hardy than bonariensis I would recommend that you use 30g fleece to give protection any lighter stuff is a waste of money, if I was close to the shore I think I would get the seeds sown about six weeks before your last frost date, as for tomatoes, as long as they're not for growing outside, I would have them sown now, if using a propagator and ofcourse have a supply of fleece on hand, I recon by using fleece you can sow about 4 weeks earlier than normal
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Sowed several varieties of Echinacea and Snapdragons.
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Sowed Begonias, Petunias, Mirabilis, Agastache, Pelargoniums and am chitting some old Sweet Pea seeds.
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!

Comment

I haven't sown any flower seeds yet, but after looking through my seed stash to discover I have 49 different flower varieties, I was suddenly compelled to buy some more

They arrived this morning - trailing verbena, busy lizzie, salvia farinacea, and ammi majus. The ammi I've never grown before, as it is so like the cow parsley that grows along the verges everywhere here, but as it's so good for bees and bugs I decided to have a go. Need to get some compost and vermiculite now.
                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by peanut View Post
                  Sowed Begonias, Petunias, Mirabilis, Agastache, Pelargoniums and am chitting some old Sweet Pea seeds.
                  Interested to hear how you get on with your old sweet pea seeds. I sowed a few varieties a couple of years ago and found quite a few didn't come up. Seed was only a couple of years old, and I store it on the fridge. It's put me off buying multiple varieties, as I only ever want a few of each colour in a season.

Comment

Sowed some wildflower seeds yesterday in a tray. Pretty old tbh but it’ll be interesting to see what actually starts to grow.
                    I keep looking at my nasturtiums in their packets….
                    Last edited by Nicos; 02-03-2023, 01:55 PM.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post

Interested to hear how you get on with your old sweet pea seeds. I sowed a few varieties a couple of years ago and found quite a few didn't come up. Seed was only a couple of years old, and I store it on the fridge. It's put me off buying multiple varieties, as I only ever want a few of each colour in a season.
                      They've more or less all germinated, the only variety with a lot of duds is Sweet Dreams. I find chitting them first is best or I get a fair few that don't come up. I wasn't expecting so many to germinate tbh, I've now got about 80 to pot up

Comment

Weather over the next week is looking really cold so am going to hold off on sowing any flower seeds apart from those that start inside in the propagator. Will look at my seeds at the weekend and see what can start pretty early. Will need to wait for tomatoes and chillis to move out of the propagator first though.

Comment

Sowed some verbena bonariensis and marigolds. In the propagator.

Comment

Yesterday I started chitting some everlasting sweetpeas.
                            Sowed more Enchinacea some Rhododictron, Calendula and Californian Poppies.
                            Last edited by peanut; 19-03-2023, 08:05 AM.

Comment

The verbena haven’t germinated so sowed some more. Might sow some cosmos today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X