flowers grown on trees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
    easy enough to grow flowers through trees like clematis for example, not sure that there's anything you can grow in a tree in this country that wont damage it.
    I'm thinking the two that people have suggested - sedums and houseleeks - would have a minimal root system and soil/water requirement so it shouldn't damage the tree.

I was also wondering if maybe I should do a protective coating of some sort on the nooks before planting them inside.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Grow a Hanging basket tree as I have!

You did say ANY ideas.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86707[/ATTACH]
      Lovely!

And I would consider, and did, except the trees are pruned low into a canopy spread and it's just above my head. Anything hanging off it would make make my terrace into an assault course!

Also, baskets take more looking after, watering, than I'm capable of. Even when I had a balcony garden, I made huge containers with self-watering systems rather than small pots.

Comment

I'm having difficulty imagining what your "nooks" look like!!

Like SP's, I have old trees with "holes" in the trunk where old branches have died off but I wouldn't plant anything in them deliberately as there's a reason why there's a cavity and I wouldn't want to block it up.

Comment

I'm having difficulty imagining what your "nooks" look like!!

Like SP's, I have old trees with "holes" in the trunk where old branches have died off but I wouldn't plant anything in them deliberately as there's a reason why there's a cavity and I wouldn't want to block it up.
          i'll post a pic tomorrow! - in my jammies now, well fed and lazy and apple pie and tea in front of me now! - and if you all think bad idea, I won't. Just thought it'd be pretty!

Comment

Come on, show us your apple pie and jammies - and we'll skip the tree!
            IMO you'd do better to grow something up into the tree - like clematis, sweet peas or runner beans.

I interlace my trees into arches and tunnels, as you know https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...hes_98903.html

Comment

Come on, show us your apple pie and jammies - and we'll skip the tree!
              IMO you'd do better to grow something up into the tree - like clematis, sweet peas or runner beans.

I interlace my trees into arches and tunnels, as you know https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...hes_98903.html
              Too lazy to reach for my phone - 2 feet to my left! - to take a pic

I've actually just planted a wisteria to go up one and over to the shed and possibly sun porch from then on, if it grows well.

Planted some veg at the base of the one with the most nooks. but some runner beans would have been a good idea. I have to make a trellis for the beans already planted and the tree was right there!

Comment

Originally posted by jdlondon View Post
                i'll post a pic tomorrow! - in my jammies now, well fed and lazy and apple pie and tea in front of me now! - and if you all think bad idea, I won't. Just thought it'd be pretty!
                Sorry! Had to scoot back to London to grab some more stuff - pic coming tomorrow!

In the meantime, have a pic of my globe artichokes which greeted me when I got back - seemed to appear out of nowhere while I was gone:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190526_203717.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	2383752

If this is the wrong place to post, sorry! - just really happy with them since I grew them from seed years ago, and all the time I was away these last few days, I kept thinking plants would die of neglect in this iffy hot/cold weather, but it's turned out ok. Even the water lilies are showing buds, and the seedlings look alive, so happy happy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X