Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am growing mine again from last year. I bought a red one and a 3 pack mixed variety (clearly these are the no name cheapo ones). The red one and a pink one flowered, so I still have two mystery ones if they are still alive. I haven't lifted them.

Still tempted to buy some new tubers this year. Think I would like a yellow one.

Will dahlia seeds flower in the first year? Sorry I may have asked that before but have forgotten now.

Comment

I've my eye on the singles this year.....
      Bishop of York is a lovely yellow variety

https://www.peternyssen.com/bishop-of-york-r.html

Go on, you know you want too

Comment

Bramble only grows from seed I think....
        Probably best wait for her to answer but I'm sure hers always flower

Comment

If it is named varieties you want you need to buy tubers but if you grow from seed like bramble, you can have some very good flowers and of course you can name any plant grown from seed
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by kitty12345 View Post
            I am growing mine again from last year. I bought a red one and a 3 pack mixed variety (clearly these are the no name cheapo ones). The red one and a pink one flowered, so I still have two mystery ones if they are still alive. I haven't lifted them.

Still tempted to buy some new tubers this year. Think I would like a yellow one.

Will dahlia seeds flower in the first year? Sorry I may have asked that before but have forgotten now.
            Hi Kitty, yes, if you sow the seeds around March and plant them out after the last frost they will flower in the first year.
            My dahlias grow like weeds and I never have a problem with them.
            I will say they were late flowering in the past year due to lack of rain but otherwise they were fine.
            I never lift them and think this may add to them becoming more robust year on year.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I grew a hundred odd dahlias from seed for the first time last year - I was late starting so only a few flowered, but I've lifted the tubers and stored them inside, so if I get my ass in gear I should get some more flowers this year.

Comment

I grew dahlias for the first time last year and I'm smitten.

Particularly loved Totally Tangerine and Cafe au Lait, and coveting many of the varieties mentioned here. I'm lusting over the SR catalogue, but after advice on the Vine, looking for what I want on PN!

I've got my eye on V Obsidian and on Honka fragile. But I love the big, in-your-face decoratives, too. Penhill dark monarch is calling me, and another one I can't remember just now. But I ought to have a couple of pom poms, too... hmm....

*drooling

Comment

They are very addictive Each year I just HAVE to order a few more
                  I've got 10 roots in storage (fingers crossed) plus another 4 on pre-order from PN OMG

I suppose it is safer than a lot of other addictions

Comment

If you get hungry, you could eat the tubers - apparently - so they're not just pretty faces.

Comment

After all the discussion about dahlias I decided to try to look for the name of some of the bought varieties I still have.
                      The first one is Bergers Record, it's a flame coloured cactus and I was shocked to discover I planted it in 2004.
                      The next is J. S. Bach..it is a gold/yellow coloured cactus. but cant find it listed.
                      The other one is Gina Lombaret or Lambareto also a yellow cactus but no listing of this one either.
                      These were all planted at the same time in the same place and thriving,

And when your back stops aching,
                      And your hands begin to harden.
                      You will find yourself a partner,
                      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                        The next is J. S. Bach..it is a gold/yellow coloured cactus. but cant find it listed.
                        The other one is Gina Lombaret or Lambareto also a yellow cactus but no listing of this one either.
                        JS Bach is listed at Parkers but out of stock.
                        Gina Lombaert you'll find on the national dahlia collection site

Comment

Originally posted by 1Bee View Post
                          I've got my eye on V Obsidian and on Honka fragile. But I love the big, in-your-face decoratives, too. Penhill dark monarch is calling me, and another one I can't remember just now. But I ought to have a couple of pom poms, too... hmm....

*drooling
                          I grew penhill watermelon last year it was beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            I grew penhill watermelon last year it was beautiful.
                            A beautiful dinner-plate variety, I have that one plus, Belle of Barmena and Labyrinth. Another one I bought last year Otto's Thrill, because of the weather (I presume) only managed one flower - but it was gorgeous
                            I've ordered a few smaller flowered ones this year, to mix & match in the bunches, Wizard of Oz (pale pink pompom) Snowflake (white pompom) and Linda's Baby (pale apricot pompom). Plus City of Leiden, a bright pink cactus.
                            Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 10-01-2019, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                              Hi Kitty, yes, if you sow the seeds around March and plant them out after the last frost they will flower in the first year.
                              My dahlias grow like weeds and I never have a problem with them.
                              I will say they were late flowering in the past year due to lack of rain but otherwise they were fine.
                              I never lift them and think this may add to them becoming more robust year on year.
                              Thank you Bramble

Comment

My tubers from PN arrived today I was very impressed with the packaging. Each tuber was wrapped in its own labelled little "potato starch" bag that can be composted. Very impressed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X