This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the potato starch bag.

I gave up on dahlias in my last garden as they were just snail food. Thought I'd try again last summer in my new garden (fewer snails, lots more slugs). A pack of three from Aldi - pushing the boat out - all came up and flowered beautifully, two in pots and one in the ground. I plan to try some more this year as I didn't lift them and accidentally sliced through the one in the ground when planting some rhubarb

I'm interested to hear you can split off tubers from the clump and grow them on separately. I assume wee bits won't flower this year though?
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post

I'm interested to hear you can split off tubers from the clump and grow them on separately. I assume wee bits won't flower this year though?
      Hi Babru, you need to make sure the tuber has an eye with it otherwise it won't grow. Try to divide so that each section has a tuber or more and stem or eye(s). Or take cuttings from the parent in spring. It is said that cuttings or division will actually be stronger than the parent plant and yes they should flower this year.

Comment

I was looking at them in the garden centre the other day and they are pretty pricey. Some of the plants looked lovely so a few more free would be welcome. It seems early to start them into growth but if it's just one tuber for cuttings I can keep them inside.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

I have cuttings!! So far so good. I planted my tubers slightly above the soil and last week I potted them up.
          I am a little early as I've got no patience...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	25CB9FC0-6939-4AD9-A111-91C93A0E1018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	2382218

Mine are sat in mushroom trays with the tubers sitting proud. They send up loads of shoots. I've just taken small cuttings with each stem retaining a little of the tuber.

Name:	24E0AF8F-9086-42EC-83AB-E9D39605F051.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	2382219

I've stuck them around the edge of the pot, bagged each pot and sat them on a heated mat. They look good so far.
            I may be a tad early but I couldn't wait!
            I will move them to the GH in a couple of weeks but it's been nightly cold recently so at the moment they are in my windowsills

Comment

Lidl have dahlias. Two three pack for €10.
              Got Le Baron...a purple variety.
              Stars Favourite...pink.
              Double Delight, wine and white.
              Dinner Plate mixed.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                Another one I bought last year Otto's Thrill, because of the weather (I presume) only managed one flower - but it was gorgeous .
                I have that one in my garden and after just re reading your post I've gone and dug it up....hoping to get some cuttings off that one.

Name:	C8D40640-E3D0-4BA0-BA1F-BCC28A8383C7.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2382221
                I think this is it!

Comment

That's the one - a real beauty

Comment

I mustn't buy any this year but when I do the penhills and wine eyeds are my my list. They are all so gorgeous.

Edit: I forgot and the cremes (cognac, cassis and summin else)
                    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 05-02-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                      I mustn't buy any this year but when I do the penhills and wine eyeds are my my list. They are all so gorgeous.

Edit: I forgot and the cremes (cognac, cassis and summin else)
                      If I was confident of getting some decent cuttings going we could do a cuttings swap?!

Comment

Just saying They had the creme Cassi's one in B and Q on the weekend.....just saying
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 05-02-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          If I was confident of getting some decent cuttings going we could do a cuttings swap?!
                          I haven't mastered storing dahlia tubers yet, let alone cuttings

Comment

I’m giving it a go. Just sowed them, they are pompon mixed.

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Well, a little bit of work and patience and I've got myself some early flowers I've several more too.
                              Just planted him up in my border

Name:	ACFAAE78-BE4E-447A-8F35-3D253C7423A3.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	2383582

Comment

Ohh! Pretties

Mine are ready to go out now, just pinched some of them back as they only had one shoot

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X