Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've used a fishermans landing net, with my collie to round up the hen. Its stressful for the hen and the catcher though. The collie quite enjoys it.

Comment

• Yes, it is stressful for the birds - my net is black, and I think they see it as a bird of prey. Didn't mind when I had to catch that ruddy Asbo Rooster, though - served 'Im right!
      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Net and collie wouldn't do the trick for Victoria Plum. she would take one look and fly into the tree! I went down this morning with her daily grapes. I have started a piece down for her too eat and the rest in the hutch. It is on a slight angle facing into the hedge with a stick to keep the door open. At first I thought I had lost her as she is usually either next to the hedge so she can skip back in or in the conifer. After searching the conifer and not seeing a small black bundle, I spotted her coming out of the hutch! First time I have seen her in there! Maybe I can use Aberdeen Plotter's plan and tie string to the stick so I can pull it away and close the hutch door from a distance once she is used to the grapes going in there. It may take some time though because she is very suspicious (with good reason).

Comment

• That sounds like your best bet. Glad she's still OK.

Comment

• Glad she's still ok as well. I did have a chuckle over that 'She's quite suspicious..........with good reason'
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Victoria Plum is still going, I am losing hope of catching her as since Friday she has been in the tree whatever time I have been to her. She sits very still and quiet so it takes time to spot her in the tree. When I spot her and talk to her she just looks at me whereas she used to talk back. She seems to be getting wilder and the colder weather won't do her any good. I am scattering food under the tree as she needs fuel to keep going. I can't see an end to this saga.

Comment

• Don't give up hope tho. She may well end up being your best chook.

Then again, she might just have the urge to be a wild chook and have a short but exciting free range life.
                We'll certainly always remember her!
                Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Predators aside, the chances are she will be fine up her tree. The weather will probably not trouble her too much. Does she go broody? If she does, and you find the nest site, you may then have a chance to capture her.

Comment

• Ditto what Richmondhens has said.

At least, at the mo its not the awful temps of a couple of years ago & if it does get that bad chances are she may just park herself back in the coop.

Comment

• What chooks do you keep scorpius?

EJ - I'd not be concerned about the weather, one of my flock (a leghorn cross) - who is quite small prefers to sleep outside of the coop, she did all snowy weather too. Obviously a bit different, as the coop is in a secure run but their feathers are excellent insulators.

Comment

• I got close to Victoria Plum today. she was on the ground and came to me for food. I crouched down and gave her some corn and offered a grape. She came in to eat the corn, very warily. I was close enough to grab her, but every move I made she backed off.

It gave me a chance to look at her up close and I see she has a new crop of feathers coming through around her backside, even though she moulted a few months ago and was fully feathered again. I makes her look a bit like a little porcupine! I guess she is growing the feathers to equip her for her new lifestyle.

Comment

• Originally posted by chris View Post
                          What chooks do you keep scorpius?
                          Too many!! mainly bantams - poots, serama, mods, pekin, silkie to name a few. LF - Apps, 1 CLB, 1 maran & an Orp

Comment

• Well, put some pictures up then!!!

Comment

• Another 'Chookaholic' then, Scorpius!?

Comment

• Happy happy happy!!!!

Did I say I was happy???? ( no- not as in Snow White et al)

Reason??

One of my Marans has laid her first chocolate brown egg of the year!

( tis usually March- Sept and zilch in between!)

Just waiting for the 2nd one and we'll have one each with dippy soldiers for breakfast!

...and yup...I'm still happy!!!

ps- did I mention I am happy????
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X