Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You can't be too simple for some simple folks I'm happy to know that mine are somewhere near laying in the next month or so. They are certainly talking, have a happy little chat sometimes.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• i love listening to them- they have different sounds for different occasions- the alarm call, the I have laid an egg call, the get lost cockerel call! Talking of which, I am about to do the ruthless Autumn clear out- if anyone wants a millefluer pekin boy , cuckoo frizzle pekin boy or a black show quality pekin boy - speak up!!!!!

Comment

• I've just made a batch of beetroot chutney, which calls for the beet to be peeled raw. As I'd a load of peelings I thought I'd check to see if the hens would eat them if I bothered to cook them, rather than putting in the compost.
        Googling 'cooking beetroot for chickens' came up with a load of recipies for chicken cooked WITH beetroot I did find the answer on the second page I think. I won't panic if I find red poo, but they better not lay red eggs!
        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• mine avoid cooked beetroot and red cabbage.
          they are all pretty fed up today so gave extra corn a tea time- the weather has been appalling.

Comment

• Why is it that whenever I should be downsizing a bit, I end up wanting more birds? Really trying to streamline things for the winter and having a sort out, yet keep looking at birds for sale!!

Comment

• I felt really bad this afternoon. I was concentrating on decorating a halloween cake for tomorrow, and didn't get down to the girls to give them their corn until about 5pm. They had all gone to bed, fed up with waiting I suppose. They did eat the beetroot, and no red eggs
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Son left the spare chook food (hormone and chemical free) in the shed and the vegetarian dog scoffed it. So the chooks are on: Free range. Muesli and fruit; weetbix and cranberries; a special salad made by son; some cat food that got in the scraps bucket by mistake. Luckily they don't seem to be too discriminatory atm.
                Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

• Margy laid an egg! Woohoo! Actually Margy has laid 6 eggs but has been hiding them in the furthest corner of the furthest nestbox. And she has not been doing the 'I've laid an egg' call either. Sneaky little tart!

Any way we have 6 very little cute brown eggs.
                  Ali

Comment

• our hybrids have started laying- thank goodness.
                    nippy weather here today- had to figure out alternative water supplies - seed trays with no holes in to put warm water in as drinkers frozen solid. - the rubber trugs in some pens are easy though- just lift top ice off- no fractures - simple1
                    got a rat under the thuringians house so all baited up- cats been told off for not doing job.

Comment

• Last year my DH fixed a small 15w lightbulb in a biscuit tin and the water goes on top. It's stopped the water freezing a treat. Not so easy if you haven't got electricity in the run though.

Comment

• If anyone is close to me, I have 3 breeding cockerels needing nice, breeding homes. I am VERY strict about what is allowed to reach adulthood- so these are suitable for breeding - unlike 99% of the rubbish ftgh out there!! a silver laced wyandotte bantam(PARENTS BEST TRIO HERTS COUNTY SHOW 2012!)a solid black pekin boy suitable for showing. has split chocolate gene. and a stunning millefluer pekin boy.
                        It is ridiculous to have to struggle to rehome show standard boys- and to be free too!!!
                        I would implore that anyone out there who hatches - dispatches anything that really ought not to be passing its genes on- and make way for the decent boys - we certainly do - !!!!
                        Anyway, rant over! if anyone wants one of the above do message me!

Comment

• hello again,
                          I've not been on for a while...I have two new Russian orloff banties who have just been put with the big flock. Well they set off into my girls with a mission. Luckily the roosters broke up the fighting and one is well integrated with the existing Russians. the otehr hangs out with the broodies and the modern game - there's no accounting for tatse!

Comment

• Oh so hoping mine don't get into fisticuffs! This week it became apparent that Margy (Hotlips Hoolihan) was actually a Clinger! She/he was a monster bird! Huuuuuge, and looking very scary. Laverne also morphed into a rooster (but only just showing first signs). So it appears that poor Shirley has been laying the eggs, and Margy getting the credit! I know some people like that!

So a quick break up of the roosters. Then omg - me in the back of the ute with a cat box, trying to catch Laverne - two horses, noses pressed up agianst the back window trying to see what all the fuss was about! Then me n Margy in the chook house........but I got them. And swapped them, for two little Isa Brown girls. They are sooo little by comparison. But peace at last in the henhouse.
                            Ali

Comment

• They would make a good roast! love the way horses are so nosy. and silly sometimes!

Comment

• None of us can eat anyone we've known Petal, but the seller sold them as hens with a return policy, just the little matter of rooster wrangling on a busy morning! Still bearing the scars lol. And yes the horses are just plain stickybeaks!
                                Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X