Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JM they are black and white - the best examples (and show standard) should have an even distribution of black and white feathering all over the body, not too much black, not too much white, and no black on the legs, they must be bright yellow. Otherwise typical leghorns - long legs, upright tail, big floppy comb etc. Excellent layers. Mine lay pretty much every single day. Eggs are large and pure white. Chicks are the cutest things - yellow and black spotted like miniature dalmatians! Too much black down at hatch will produce too dark an adult though, I have discovered. A predominantly yellow chick will feather up with about the right amount of white to black feathers. I'm not sure many of my youngsters will be show standard but they are being bred for laying so as long as they grow up hale and hearty that's all that I require.

Comment

• Hen fleas are fairly rare but I believe a permethrin spray will kill them. I would give both hen and nest a good squirt of Johnsons Anti Mite spray. Don't get it on the eggs though (I'm assuming she is no longer incubating anything?)

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
        Hen fleas are fairly rare but I believe a permethrin spray will kill them. I would give both hen and nest a good squirt of Johnsons Anti Mite spray. Don't get it on the eggs though (I'm assuming she is no longer incubating anything?)
        I chucked the nest and put her and chickies in a cardboard box with clean sawdust (she didn't like the vetbed). Will she have them on her? I'm loth to dust/spray with permethrin as the chicks are only a couple of days old.....shall I wait and see if I spot any more??

Comment

• Had an unexplained hen death this morning....

Looks like one of my 2 year old Vorwerks just dropped dead outside at some point between 8pm last night and 7am this morning....

No obvious injuries, illnesses etc... She was outside last night scratching for corn at about 8pm when I was cleaning out the duck ponds, and this morning was lying dead in the mud :-(

Comment

• Woo hoo...OH is making a goosehouse!!!

Looks like we'll be getting our 5 Tolouse goslings in the morning after all!

For the past couple of years they've slept in with the hens but we've more hens now they need their own space!

Sorry to hear your news OWG. We had a couple drop dead in the night at about that age too....still laying the morning of their death. I presumed a sudden heart attack.
            Looks like we'll have to cull one of our gals soon.
            She's got ascites which is getting worse, and developed bumble foot. Bless her- she's quite a sweetie too.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• oh, we want toulouse goslings!!! jessmorris please spray her asap! don't worry about the peremythrin- its never harmed our chicks - .

Comment

• Darn- I'd forgotten it's Bank Holiday here today. Will have to wait until Saturday now

Comment

• OK, thanks Petal et al!!

Originally posted by petal View Post
                  oh, we want toulouse goslings!!! jessmorris please spray her asap! don't worry about the peremythrin- its never harmed our chicks - .

Comment

• hilarious but worrying. The 4 ducklings went for a swim in the pond and their incredibly protective mummy pekin followed them.......... silly bird. She was lucky I was there to 'fish' her out.....

Comment

• I had decided I wanted 2 hybrids to go with my bantams and Brahma. I ordered some pretty looking POLs from the chicken man. Then I happened to be driving home past him and somehow landed up with 2 x 2-day old hybrid chicks.

Popped them under my very broody pekin last night and without hesitation she shuffled over them and has been protecting them fiercely all day. What a happy hen!

After sitting on a fake egg for a week, did she think; that was a bit quicker than usual or did she think oh good she gave me some babies.

Comment

• Its amazing how they will accept them to foster- with our buff orpington I just keep shoving loads that are incubator hatched under her and she is always delighted!!

Comment

• Reckon one of my girls is gonna be walking a bit "bandy" for a while not sure which,but one laid a 100gm egg this morning ..... Omelet & chips anyone ?
                          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• ouch. We are doing the Herts county show- poultry tent- if anyone in locality is coming?

Comment

• We finally bought our 5 goslings. 2 boys and 3 gals. All 4 wks old. Had wanted 1 boy,4 gals but they were the last gals!

Also had one bantie chick hatch yesterday- mom is still sitting on the Marans and the Light Sussex eggs which are crossed with our banti cockerel. Fingers crossed they'll hatch tonight cos mom is getting itchy feet to show this teeny weeny bantie chick how to find food!
                              Might get 2 day old chicks at market tomorrow if they have any and pop the 2 eggs under one of the broodies for a couple of days.
                              Never straight forwards is it?????

Comment

• How exciting Nicos, are they for the pot or pets? My two are 4 weeks old now. Great big fluffy monsters, although feathering just starting to come through.

Broody turkey managed to squash five eggs/chicks. Down to 12 now, not sure how many will come, if any. The two stags are fighting a lot. I've been trying to keep them apart but they are very good at pushing fences down, I have discovered. Had to carry Ike down tonight from top field, bloomin' great heavy bird!

Picking up 10 Ross Cobbs tomorrow, unfortunately they are not as feathered up or hardy as I would have liked, having to rapidly rethink accommodation. All coops are in use and the only spare house (which I would have used) is too big at present for them. Also hatching some eggs in my incubator in the kitchen for a friend whose hen abandoned the nest. Eggs due to hatch Sat, really hope they won't be late as builder coming in Monday to literally demolish my kitchen and everything has to be out before then.

Going to bed now, v v tired .........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X