This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aww Petal, that frisbee is cute.
    Jess fingers crossed, are they banties or bigs? Or is it like silkies and they get called banties when they are actually large fowl?

Lost my little gold pencilled wyandotte hen yesterday, no reason, looked really well. Damn.
    And I'm now gooseless after Sid made one attack too many and made a serious mess of m-i-l's hand. He's been quite aggressive this year, but I'm so upset as I'd kept telling everyone to keep them locked in the orchard pen and not to leave Cerys loose to sit in the garden. But of course m-i-l knew better as he never bothered her (just had my oh and f-i-l on a regular basis) so kept letting him out. Well then he did what I knew he would and decided she was in the way...so she demanded that he be culled. as it's their farm I had to go along with it when I couldn't find a new home fast enough, but I insisted that they culled Cerys too as they were a true pair. Really wouldn't have been fair to leave her mourning.
    As you can imagine relationships with m-i-l are very very strained at the mo. To put it mildly..actually I'm not speaking to her. I miss Sid.
    Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

• Oh no, now that is seriously sad and was so avoidable. m i l s can be so arrogant sometimes, can't they. Are all ganders aggressive then?

Comment

• I dont think so Petal. Bit like roosters really. Varies from breed to breed and individual.
        Sid wasn't the majority of the time, just when Cerys was sitting. Which to my mind was allowable as he was protecting her. But most ganders are good guard dogs and will go for strangers who just wander in. Sid stopped the wretched builders at my last place from keep 'borrowing' my barrow and tools. And nicking eggs. But they let Roy, the next door neighbour and fellow horse owner in without fuss as they were used to him coming over to natter with me.
        Rather like our German Shepherd I suppose. Although she knocks people down and licks them to death when she knows them

Comment

• I'm going to have a go at this with some of my veg sowings.

Thinking of kale seeds at the moment.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...dea_64483.html
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Sorry I haven't popped in here for a while, been busy movin' house and stuff. Lost the last of my Laydees to the effing Fox last week. Despite electric fence and barricades. Desperate to feed her babies, I guess.

Roosters are going in the pot next week, but I have found homes for two of them, Asbo and the pretty Buff Cock have Laydees to service, so it's not all doom and gloom. Fences are being constructed here at the new place, and I'm collecting some more girlies next week who will be living in Camp Colditz!

Really really sorry to hear about your Geese, Hilly, that's so sad, I really feel for you. My two boys have just gone to a new home. My Folks managed to find a nutter who collects animals and has the room to do so. They have various things, like Chooks and Pygmy Goats and an assortment of Ducks, and a nice big securely fenced Pond. The Boys love it, apparently. I do miss them.
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• congratulations with your new place- have you had to move the horses too?

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                Sorry I haven't popped in here for a while, been busy movin' house and stuff. Lost the last of my Laydees to the effing Fox last week. Despite electric fence and barricades. Desperate to feed her babies, I guess.

Roosters are going in the pot next week, but I have found homes for two of them, Asbo and the pretty Buff Cock have Laydees to service, so it's not all doom and gloom. Fences are being constructed here at the new place, and I'm collecting some more girlies next week who will be living in Camp Colditz!

Really really sorry to hear about your Geese, Hilly, that's so sad, I really feel for you. My two boys have just gone to a new home. My Folks managed to find a nutter who collects animals and has the room to do so. They have various things, like Chooks and Pygmy Goats and an assortment of Ducks, and a nice big securely fenced Pond. The Boys love it, apparently. I do miss them.
                Oh no, not again! We have had three foxes in two days in our neighbour's garden. But stupid bint has been feeding them on her patio. Frightened her today by telling her they will come through her cat flap and poo in her conservatory, maybe attack them if she's not careful. She's said she won't put anything else out.
                Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

• He he G4..hope it's not catching. I moved a few weeks back too. Luckily the livery yard my horse is at is still the same distance away as we moved from one side of town to the other.
                  Only got my young filly now as Erryn (her mum) had to be put down in Feb. She cracked her kneecap in a fall in the field and as she was 26yo we decided that it was better to say goodbye while she was otherwise happy and only having minor health problems. She was claustrophobic and couldn't be left in on her own so box rest would have made her seriously miserable. I still miss the bolshy madam though.
                  All quiet on the chook front at the minute. Just done three of my young cocks, so quiet in more ways than one. Still got two to go though.

Comment

• We had several foxes calling in the back field a couple of nights ago. I'm glad my chooks are indoors and inside an electric fence.
                    Sorry to hear about people's losses.
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
                      congratulations with your new place- have you had to move the horses too?
                      I moved 'Himself' back in November - from unplanned retirement (long story) to busy livery yard with peeps to ride with. Just got straight back into it - hadn't realised how much I missed it! (Update on main 'Chat' thread if you can be arrised!)

VVG I know what you mean - and have to say I'm sooooo torn. Being an animal-lover I appreciate She's got young to feed, I really do, and they are sooooo beautiful. But, why the chuff do they come in and kill ten Hens and just take one to eat!? They don't even come back for the dead ones ...

Comment

• Originally posted by its hilly View Post
                        ... Only got my young filly now as Erryn (her mum) had to be put down in Feb ...
                        Awww, sooo sad. I've always sold 'em in the past, before they got old, but I just can't with this one. We somehow just 'clicked' (bugger, I'm sobbing now!) when I started riding him. I wasn't even looking for one, only went to keep a friend company. He was five then, and I was skint. Told the Bank I needed a new car, got a loan, and bought him!!! Stoopid cow or what!? He's 20 now - dunno what I'll do when he has to go.

I will have another, though.

Comment

• Its very upsetting when their life ends but the pain eases in time, once you have bonded with another. My daughter is having her first proper jumping lesson on my new forest pony today- will take camera!!!! She loves horse riding but won't admit that she is too big for her 11 hh pony. Anyway - back to chooks - i have decided that George the buff orpington has attacked me the last time so he is getting replaced this summer, if I can find a seriously decent cockerel, one that doesn't eat people!!.

Comment

• Hope the lesson went well, Petal!?

Just heard my new 'Laydees' that are due 'out' on Tuesday, are getting out early for good behaviour. I now have to get my arris in gear for collection tomorrow morning!

Comment

• Just to change the subject completely, I will be going from Lancaster to Carlisle for the sale on the 21st April if anyone wants a lift? Their sale catalogue looks great this time (its on line), lots of exhibition stock...IH?? OWG??

Comment

• so jealous. my dad told me about this- he enjoyed rubbing it in, i think...
                                glad to hear you are getting some new chooks G4- good on you!
                                The riding lesson went surprisingly well- she did a course of 2 foot fences on my new forest- a delight to watch them together- bear in mind this is the 2nd time she has jumped properly!-
                                my new forest did most the work mind, with her beautiful glossy eyes gleaming mischievously as she ran out and dumped her on the floor.........

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X