Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just had one chick hatch today- out of 6 eggs- no sounds from any of the others- fingers crossed something happens tomorrow.
    Mum is still happily sitting fortunately!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Fingers crossed for the rest.

I have some due off Monday/Tuesday but when I went to open the broody Orp today found a broken egg in the run plus another egg missing. It was dark when we shut up last night as we'd been out. Am blaming predators (probably crows) as she is in an open top run as all the roofed ones are in use for bantams so I need to get her moved asap.

Comment

• Can someone shed any light?

I have two identical looking Hens, from the eggs my Broody hatched last summer. Both black, with bright white ears. They chirp, more like a Pheasant than the regular 'bok bok' of a Hen, and are very finely built, with dark legs. One lays white eggs, the other lays blue. Why?
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• I've had 2 Araucanas hatched so far, one egg shouting its head off and one pipped. Not sure about the other 2 as I didn't want to disturb her unduly but couldn't resist just a little peep! The 2 hatched are popping out from under mum - just sooooooooooo cute!

Comment

• My two week old wyandotte and silkies went outside for the first time today. Ma had a big dust bath and they all spent the afternoon scratching about on the lawn. The silkie who had spraddle leg seems to be fine and they're all growing up and getting their shoulder feathers now. The new coop is so big I've called it the Wyandotte Palace - I fettled it up from an old shed and am quite pleased with it tho' its very ugly.
            The Amrocks (3 weeks old) are all identical and getting quite bold. they are growing very fast. Do LF grow faster than bantams? They seem to, and to be much bolder as well....

Comment

• 2 more hatched and 1 more pipped!

Comment

• sat here typing this with one hand - my favourite chick is asleep in other hand - 'dot' an orpington bluebelle cross with the most amazing temperament - hope its a girl - who knows - it has little wing feathers and is only one day old. got a black eye too - horse headbutted me.....

Comment

• Oh dear poor you! Dangerous things horses! Lets hope Dot is a girl for you!

Comment

• Morning!!!

14 eggs between two broodies...what do I get- one chick each!
                    Lovely little things- esp at Easter- but I was hoping to be overrun by chicks.
                    One clutch were laid by my gals- and I have to admit the I've not been seeing much hanky panky going on recently...but the other clutch were from a friend with a very active lad.
                    How strange is that???

Comment

• Were they all clear? I opened my non-hatchers and found fully developed chicks in all of them. Have read of quite a few people with this happening. My little Silkie managed to hatch 5 from 6 - much better rate than the incubator! Dying to try out my new incy but must wait till all the chicks are sexed and sorted before I start again!

Comment

• ....about half weren't fertile- and the others dead chicks...darn

Both broodies tried and tested previously with brilliant results.

Oh well- have to try again later in the year!!!

My gals run with two 3 yr old brothers so I was really surprised to be honest.

I could understand 2 of the eggs not developing though. They'd come from a friend and she'd had them in the fridge for a few days but asked if I'd give them a try.
                        Was that a non-starter from the word go anyway????

Comment

• Sorry to hear your news - fwuffy Easter Chicks would've been lovely!

There's not much 'hanky-panky' in my run at the moment. The two boys are too busy circling the area, and eyeing each other up!

If Whitsun gets near a Hen, he grabs it roughly and jumps on board. Then Asbo goes for him. Then the Geese go for Asbo. I should film it really!
                          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• well, the runner ducks did not go full term and only 3 hatched - badly and another had to put down due to leg deformity. I find duck eggs a doddle usually.

Comment

• It seems a c**p year for hatching generally. I had no luck at all with my marans and leghorns - none of the 12 hatched, over half were clear and the others had partially developed chicks. Out of the ones I hatched earlier (now over 6 weeks old) I have 6 definite cocks, 1 hen and 1 don't know yet. Won't be able to sex the newbies for a few weeks yet but really hope I get at least couple of girls.

I would have blamed the weather but I sat two broodies at the same time in the same conditions, one on my own eggs (all hatched) and one on bought in eggs (none hatched). Ho hum. Wonder how many others are having poor hatches this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                ....about half weren't fertile- and the others dead chicks...darn

Both broodies tried and tested previously with brilliant results.

Oh well- have to try again later in the year!!!

My gals run with two 3 yr old brothers so I was really surprised to be honest.

I could understand 2 of the eggs not developing though. They'd come from a friend and she'd had them in the fridge for a few days but asked if I'd give them a try.
                                Was that a non-starter from the word go anyway????
                                The fridge would probably have done for them, although I have heard of people having managed to hatch from previously fridged eggs. It may depend on how cold the fridge was of course.

Do the brothers push each other off? Sometimes in a pen where you have more than one cock and they are evenly matched, neither gets "mating rights" as they constantly foil the other's attempts to mount the girls, therefore no eggs get fertilised. Just a thought.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X