X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its the ugly "chickling" !

Comment

• Its just the cutest tho! It does seem smaller than the others but that may just be the colour. Its hard to tell while they are still cramped in the inccy!
      Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
      Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
      FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

• Originally posted by Munch View Post
        Ok I think I may have just answered my own question!

I have checked out loads of pictures of light sussex chicks and it would seem they are all yellow. Do I have another breed that cunningly disguised itself as a light sussex egg?
        Yes. All LS chicks are yellow. Obviously a different breed egg got put in by mistake. Did you get them from a breeder or friend? You might be able to ask what it is likely to be, or it might be fun just seeing what it turns into.

LS eggs are fairly bog standard colour and size and look like a lot of other eggs, so very easy to mix up. Alternatively, the egg may well have been LS, but fertilised by a different breed cock.
        Last edited by RichmondHens; 05-04-2011, 09:21 AM.

Comment

• Aww...congrats!!!!

I'm patiently waiting on my eggs...we're on day 12 and day 7 with mine.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• I bought them from a poultry auction so have no idea really. I think it quite exciting to see what turns up! I just hope it is edible!

Can I just ask?...... all the chicks are huddled together/on top of each other in the incubator. Is this normal? it is as if they are not warm enough.

It is also still really humid in there.... how are they supposed to dry for the brooder?
            Last edited by Munch; 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM.
            Little ol' me

Comment

• Is it just me?

Some people get excited by Jimmy Choo shoes, Loius Vuitton handbags, designer clothes - me? well I can hardly wait for tomorrow when my new all-singing all-dancing incubator arrives!
              Sad or what!!!!!!
              Last edited by Suechooks; 05-04-2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Had to laugh tonight. My broody is sooo determined to stay put. I lifted her out the nest box tonight and and I wondered why she was kind of rigid when I did. As soon as I put her down her two 'broody' eggs fell out - one from under each wing where she had tucked them and tried not to drop them when I lifted her!

I wish I could let her hatch some eggs- she is absolutely determined to sit and I doubt whether she would move unless I made her twice a day.

This is why I love keeping hens - You see something funny and learn something new each day!

Comment

• Can any one help?

One of my 4 day old chicks (the little ginger one) has got poo stuck to its bum I have tried to wipe it off but it is stuck fast

Is it something I should worry about? if so what should I do?
                  Little ol' me

Comment

• Some of my first hatch last year had that Munch. I tried to get it off but it eventually disppeared without any help. They're all fine now!

Comment

• If the others start pecking at it you will need to get it off. Otherwise don't worry, it will come off eventually. Easiest way is to soak the pooey bit with warm (blood heat) water till it comes off, then dry with kitchen towel.
                      Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

• Thank you x
                        Little ol' me

Comment

• Munch, wipe off with warm water, dry its bum and pop a bit of vaseline on it. Is it warm enough, they tend to get this if they are chilled.?

Comment

• I am so excited! My Vorwerks have started laying - I've had one teeny white egg every day for three days now! Hopefully the other 2 will come into lay as well

Comment

• My own-hatched Girlies are laying every day - lovely little eggs. Actually, they're probably normal size, it's just that the Batties lay such big eggs, the Newies' seem small in comparison!

Our Neighbour, a Chook-keeper, himself, has commented on the Roos' noise (whilst cuddling our Pup) so I guess the two remaining 'Babies' will be going shortly. One has a home, t'other will go in the freezer.

The one that went for me when I took their feed in t'other day, can go in the freezer, t'other can go live with a flock of Ladies! They decided for themselves!
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• I've got 3 goldline X's growing in the brooder. One of them is struggling bad. All born at the same time but this one is half the size and just stands with its head down. Can't understand it. It feeds and drinks but isn't alert as much as the other ones and just seems to be failing....

The 7 Sliver spangled Hamburghs and 4 Welsummer are spot on though....
                                Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X