Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The eggs will be fertile for about 10 days. But why, if you have just had to rehome three cocks, would you be wanting to hatch again and therefore be going through the whole cock crowing thing again in 3 months or so? You may not be so lucky rehoming second time around.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
      The eggs will be fertile for about 10 days. But why, if you have just had to rehome three cocks, would you be wanting to hatch again and therefore be going through the whole cock crowing thing again in 3 months or so? You may not be so lucky rehoming second time around.
      We didn't have a problem with the idea of culling - however, they were pure banties and not really worth it (also they got rehomed via Freecycle within hours - they would have been stock otherwise except Nando). Nando is such a gorgeous chap I would like to have some of his stock and as they would be crossed with bigger breeds (Maran, Australorp) we could rear any cockerels for meat. With the three we rehomed, we took them in thinking they were hens so we were not set up to keep them separate - hatching our own we would be prepared for the eventuality of males and set up an area for fattening them if it is required.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

• Sorry, I thought you were rehoming because of the crowing.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
          Sorry, I thought you were rehoming because of the crowing.
          No worries, none taken
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

• I know where richmond hens coming from mind, do you know,the other day, I had someone ask me for hatching eggs that I would guarantee were all female LOL!!!!Naturally I point blank refused to sell to someone so daft, even after I explained to them the laws of nature. Shirl the girl - I wouldn't bother hatching nandos babies - get a decent big cockerel and cross him with your girls if you want to set up a meat program?

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
              I know where richmond hens coming from mind, do you know,the other day, I had someone ask me for hatching eggs that I would guarantee were all female LOL!!!!Naturally I point blank refused to sell to someone so daft, even after I explained to them the laws of nature. Shirl the girl - I wouldn't bother hatching nandos babies - get a decent big cockerel and cross him with your girls if you want to set up a meat program?
              Another fair point. However, to be honest I just fancy hatching some eggs and would rather like Nando's character in the birds - need more girls as we are down to 8 old timers and getting one egg a day! I miss the days when we had mums and chicks all around the place

The danger of boy chicks is already dealt with. I know where I can get fertile eggs from big chooks or proper breeds so they won't all be our own eggs if we do do a hatch.
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

• if anyone wants to try hatch some eggs and lives near me, let me know, i have loads!!! Incubators full and I can only make so many cakes!!!!!!
                I am tempted to let the gold brahma girl accumulate a clutch in the hope she goes broody.
                Next weekend will be busy, I have found a second hand 50m electric fence from someone on practical poultry, i will connect this to the existing one and probably swear a lot. Electric fencing is a pain in the behind to put up! Air will be blue next weekend!

Comment

• Right, second breeding pen set up!

Welsummers went in on 21st February, and Barnevelders went in theirs today!
                  We even moved another half ton of woodchip!

Comment

• so will you have some hatching eggs for me from these owg?.......!
                    Just had a fabulous morning. Both kids are on sleepovers(oh the peace!) it is so the other parents turn 1000 times over. got a nice night planned on a pub crawl with mates........bet I suffer tomorrow!
                    I have been busy putting up new electric fencing today, 50 metres worth. The air was blue wiv me language....

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
                      so will you have some hatching eggs for me from these owg?.......!
                      Yup! They are just doing their 3 week quarantine, as they've all been running with other cockerels....

You fancy Barnevelders or Welsummers??

I'll have some Vorwerks in a few weeks too.....

Comment

• both!
                        This hasn't happened before but a rat is gaining access to the chicks in the barn. It has killed a speckled sussex(which the chicks were caught cannibalising!) and another speckled sussex and the blue silkie are missing. I put rat traps by cage last night and something triggered one but no more chicks missing. I have had a word with the cats too........

Comment

• Yes Petal - get those cats told! Mine brought a rat in last year and left it dead under the dining table. I wonder how long it had been there before I noticed it?

Comment

• A bit of good news in the Chook Chat thread - the vet only charged me for half a chook consultation today (as he didn't prescribe I think). How's that?!
                            My pooter is lame, but there's nothing obviously wrong....
                            JM

Comment

• I am the proud new mum of 6 little scrawny chicks!

I have a question tho....... They are all light sussex and all yellow apart from one that is brown. Does anyone know why I have an odd one out? or is it just normal to have a different colour. I thought it would be a different sex but have read that it not that simple!

Help?
                              Last edited by Munch; 05-04-2011, 07:54 AM.
                              Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                              Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                              FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

• Ok I think I may have just answered my own question!

I have checked out loads of pictures of light sussex chicks and it would seem they are all yellow. Do I have another breed that cunningly disguised itself as a light sussex egg?
                                Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                                Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                                FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X