Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pity you are not nearer shirl - orps make a great meal.....

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
      pity you are not nearer shirl - orps make a great meal.....
      even banties?
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

• why not? !! kill, skin, boil, soup....

Comment

why not? !! kill, skin, boil, soup....
          There are only 2 problems for me - can't separate them to fatten them so can you eat birds that have been eating layers pellets?

The noise until they are fatter! 3 of them having a crowing contest this morning
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

• My boys freerange and eat layers pellets...and they taste yummy!

I certainly wouldn't eat mine if I were worried- it's justa few extra vitamins and minerals isn't it after all??
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              My boys freerange and eat layers pellets...and they taste yummy!

I certainly wouldn't eat mine if I were worried- it's justa few extra vitamins and minerals isn't it after all??
              thanks for that Nicos. Madmax says he is not going to listen to them all crowing all night again!
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

• They shouldn't crow if you shut them in. Drape sommat over the coop to keep it dark!

I don't shut mine in, so they're at it at 3am!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Well, Hoover our Vorwerk cockerel arrived yesterday, and he is lush!! He's in his own ark/run for the moment, just whilst he acclimatises to all his new friends!

And, I've also managed to source some Vorwerk POL's as well! Can't afford to get those until March payday, but lovely Alyson at Ghyllhead Birds is keeping them for me until then.

Means I'll be able to hopefully get some baby Vorkwerks this year too!

Comment

• I don't shut mine in, so they're at it at 3am![/QUOTE]
                    if one of mine crowed at 3 am they would be made into chicken curry, and they know it. they tentatively crow(QUIETLY) at about 6.30.....just don't let the witch hear..........

Comment

if one of mine crowed at 3 am they would be made into chicken curry, and they know it. they tentatively crow(QUIETLY) at about 6.30.....just don't let the witch hear..........
                      Hehehe... We have 5 cockerels at the moment, and they crow when they darn well feel like it!!

Mind you, next to next doors 7 dogs, 4 horses, various sheep, goats and chickens including cockerels; the noise is hardly noticeable!!

Comment

How do you train them?
                        Happy Gardening,
                        Shirley

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                          I learned this morning, that Marriage's no longer make Layers' Pellets with added Flubenvet. The well-known Poultry wormer is now only available on prescription. So, those of us that chose the easy option, now have to go back to calculating and measuring out the darn powder.

I can't help thinking this will lead to over- and under-dosing, in many cases, and maybe even put some people off worming their flock all together.

Progress, they call it...
                          I emailed Marriages at the weekend and they have replied. They have NO plans to stop producing Layers with Flubenvet and it should be available in their stockists as usual.

Comment

• Hi folks.

Question.......

Am I being paranoid. Yesterday the girls were let out to free range for the first time in a while (many reasons, mainly to do with the fact we had to sort out the fencing as they were doing nextdoors weeding for them)

I noticed a couple of them had enlarged crops..... Thought I would see how they were today. Now one of them has gone down and the other has got bigger, but then looking at all the flock the all seem to be a bit bigger on the right hand side.

Is it because they have been free ranging so therefore just eaten alot in the last couple of days? is it something that I have just never noticed before or is it possible that more than one hen has an impacted crop at the same time ?
                            Last edited by Munch; 22-02-2011, 01:05 PM.
                            Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
                            Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
                            FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

• Can't get to Carlisle Feb auction due to work Jess, but have already booked 9th April off, will you get to that one? My little barred wyandottes are just starting to lay by the way [/QUOTE]

What a shame - I'm actually a bit undecided myself as its a heck of a way for me, but could try the April auction. Twould be better timing for hatching eggs then too

Oo, barred wyandottes, now there's pretty! Are they banties?

JM
                              Last edited by jessmorris; 23-02-2011, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• a speckled sussex just hatched and a silver appenzeller. (spot and apple!) more tweeting going on! I have just ordered some quail and poland eggs!(not off rotten fleabay I must add!!!!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X