This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got 3 Roo's to 'get rid of' this week

At least one of them was going to be rehomed, but the guy has just lost most of his flock to a fox attack, so doesn't need a Roo for breeding....

I can't keep them any longer, so they are for the chop. Don't think they've got enough meat on them to be a decent meal, so I fear it's the bin for them...

Comment

• OWG....Please don't put them in the bin

my boys only weigh 750g...but they are delish.

The carcus makes a superb stock too...please don't waste them!!!!!tis SUCH a waste of yummy meat...and a life. xx
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        OWG....Please don't put them in the bin

my boys only weigh 750g...but they are delish.

The carcus makes a superb stock too...please don't waste them!!!!!tis SUCH a waste of yummy meat...and a life. xx
        Problem is, they are young Welsummers, but are very lean at the moment (too much testosterone I think) - they are very leggy and look more like a Malay in shape than a Welsummer.... I'd be surprised if they make 750g!!

However, I'll weigh them when I've done it, just to check...

Comment

• How old are they? I have two Welsummer cocks "to do" - they are 7 months and looking good. However, Welsummers do seem to vary in type - some are a lot more finely built than others so make less meat, although you should get a decent meal out of them at 6 months plus, if you can keep them that long.

But I do agree with Nicos, at the very least skin them and make them into soup or stock, then you won't have raised them for nothing.

Comment

• Someone is asking for a bantam cockerel on our Freecycle - should I offer one of my 'not sure' ones?
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

• Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
              Problem is, they are young Welsummers, but are very lean at the moment (too much testosterone I think) - they are very leggy and look more like a Malay in shape than a Welsummer.... I'd be surprised if they make 750g!!

However, I'll weigh them when I've done it, just to check...
              I agree! It's a shame to put them in the bin - my kids fight over the last bit of chicken and sweetcorn soup. Not matter how small, the flavour goes a long way!

Comment

• Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                Someone is asking for a bantam cockerel on our Freecycle - should I offer one of my 'not sure' ones?
                I wouldn't - just in case! Can't you put a photo up and we can have a guess?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  I wouldn't - just in case! Can't you put a photo up and we can have a guess?
                  Piccies are on here somewhere Scarlet, consensus was they are boys but they are showing no signs
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                    How old are they? I have two Welsummer cocks "to do" - they are 7 months and looking good. However, Welsummers do seem to vary in type - some are a lot more finely built than others so make less meat, although you should get a decent meal out of them at 6 months plus, if you can keep them that long.

But I do agree with Nicos, at the very least skin them and make them into soup or stock, then you won't have raised them for nothing.
                    They are 10 months (hatched April 2010)... yes, I'd describe them as finely built. The one we are keeping for breeding is a much rounder, fuller type - he actually looks like a Welsummer.

If I was to skin them for soup/stock - how would I get all the innards out - could I just joint the bird, and take the breasts off the bone?

Comment

• Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                      They are 10 months (hatched April 2010)... yes, I'd describe them as finely built. The one we are keeping for breeding is a much rounder, fuller type - he actually looks like a Welsummer.

If I was to skin them for soup/stock - how would I get all the innards out - could I just joint the bird, and take the breasts off the bone?
                      The innards come out the same as on a larger bird, just a little more fiddly! I often cut the breast off and then joint but it is a little waste not to use the carcass for stock especially as you have 3. It is much easier to do than you think

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        The innards come out the same as on a larger bird, just a little more fiddly! I often cut the breast off and then joint but it is a little waste not to use the carcass for stock especially as you have 3. It is much easier to do than you think
                        I've never done anything as small as a chicken before!! I'm used to dealing with turkeys where I can get both hands in the body cavity!!

Comment

• It's the same! I do turkeys too, less to clean up with a little one

Comment

• Will I need to hang them, or can they go straight in the freezer?

Comment

• My OH does our gutting - he's got big hands!!

You'll find the meat lovely and sweet...well worth the fiddle

Comment

• OOps- I forgot- you draw a bird don't you??

We gut soon after plucking ( whilst warm)...and once cool leave in the fridge for 2-3 days before freezing.
                                Last edited by Nicos; 16-02-2011, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X