Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cockerel, Joe

Hi folks

You may remember my over-cocky cockerel from a few months back when I asked you for advice on what to do with him when he became too protective of the girls - I was safe aslong as I was armed with a water pistol!

Things have taken a turn for the worse - he had a real go at me yesterday - water pistol ran out of water I lost my temper - grabbed him, hung him upside down and stuck him in a box for 1/2 hr to calm down. Thought he would have learned some sense when I let him out - NOT SO!!!! He had another go at my legs - feet first - neally knocked me over!

Grabbed him again but this time just put him under my arm and tried to STROKE HIM - thankfully had gloves on! Strolled around the garden - talking to a cockerel - told him how beautiful he was!!!!

Today - even worse - got home from work - he came running for me but managed to grab him and put him in his box.

My OH reckons it's time for him to become Sunday dinner - he very nearly became Christmas dinner so have had one reprieve.

I DO LIKE having a cockerel around BUT ..... he needs to behave - any more advice folk - feel very sad that's it's probably my fault as he obviously thinks I'm very dangerous to have around.
    Attached Files

Maybe you need to have a 'real fight' so he knows you are the winner??

By that I mean- protect yourself from him wherever you think precious..and I think I'd be tempted to walk around with him under your armpit for several hours ( maybe even around the house with one of those home-made chook nappies)
    He'll soon realise you are the Big Boss- esp in areas he's never been to before)

failing that- he does look rather yummy!!

(sorry!!)

(Edit..in real terms- you should be really proud of him...bet he'd do his best against a fox!!!!)
    Last edited by Nicos; 11-02-2010, 07:55 PM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Compared to yours my three cockerels are wussies. The only time mine make a move on me is if they think I'm harming one of their Laydees (understandable)and even then its only handbags at dawn.

Don't think cockerels are the same as dogs with a fight or flight mechanism? They never back down and only have a fight or fight attitude. Agression only breeds aggression unfortunately!

I sometimes wind mine up by ruffling their feathers but luckily up til now all they have given me is the evil eye!

Hope Joe behaves himself but I couldn't blame you for giving him the chop if he became unmanageable!
      Last edited by Snadger; 11-02-2010, 08:16 PM.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

He's very handsome. Is he a Barnevelder?

How many girls does he have to look after? If he only has a few, maybe he needs a few more. However, it does sound you have tried all the options. I would persevere with the cuddling thing for a bit, every day if you can manage it. If he can associate you with kindness he may be less quick to attack. That said, some are just plain ornery and will go for you regardless. If he is becoming a serious threat/danger to kids etc then you may not have any option but to put him in the pot.

Comment

Yes - he's a beautiful Barnevelder

His brother has been winning Barne classes at some recent Championship shows so he's from good stock

Don't want to put him in the pot so will try to be KIND when he attacks me tomorrow!

There seem to be two schools of thought with cockerels - 1/ you have to be the bigger cockerel and win and 2/ you need to be soft & gentle so they don't feel threatened.

We hatched him and only ever showed him kindness - it was only his b---dy attitude that got us to the water pistol stage in the first place and now what do we do??

Comment

A friend of mine, when attacked by one of his Cockerels, whacked him hard with a broom. Knocked him out cold. The following day he went for him again and got the same treatment. He stopped attacking after that!
            All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
            Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
              A friend of mine, when attacked by one of his Cockerels, whacked him hard with a broom. Knocked him out cold. The following day he went for him again and got the same treatment. He stopped attacking after that!
              Thats cos he was dead!!!!!!!!!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

lol ^

I'd show him an Orange, and polite explain that if he doesn't behave it'll be up his backside, whilst he's slowly roasting in the oven. That or a slight boot away each time he comes at you, until he learns?

I had to do similar with an agressive dog before - hold him down constantly until the sod gave up. I won't tell you how long it took mind!

Comment

I got into an absoloute scrap with one of mine he would go wild at me flying at me trying to bite me. One day he flew at me(I don't condone this next bit he just got unlucky) and I kicked out to keep him from getting me. Caught him like a rugby ball and he flew into the privit landed on the floor clucked a few times and wondered off. He has never attacked me since although he still gives me that look and you can tell by his movements sometimes that he's thinking about it. When he does that I chase him around a bit. I'm 6ft 4 and it does make me chuckle when he has a go all part and parcel of keeping a cockeral im afraid.

Comment

I do that sideways shuffle and stamping of feet if Au Vin gets cross with me - and a bit of that flapping of arms business.
                    ( he probably things I'm going mad and steers clear of me....that's what he does when he wants a bit of a quick one with one of the gals!!!)
                    Well.....it works!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                      I do that sideways shuffle and stamping of feet if Au Vin gets cross with me - and a bit of that flapping of arms business.
                      ( he probably things I'm going mad and steers clear of me....that's what he does when he wants a bit of a quick one with one of the gals!!!)
                      Well.....it works!
                      OMG this had me in fits!! I cannot let this post pass without my comments, My recent Mr Darcy history an all (yes yes i know you are all fed up with bloomin mr bloomin darcy by now!!)
                      fistly must say that some chaps are just up for a scrap, I was never horrid to mr D, always confident around him, 'well I did always carry a red horse numnah (bullfighting? or my son's toy knights sheild, jousting??) when i had to put them back in the run at night. It was after he attacked my daughter and literally chased her to the end of our lane that he became dodgy to everyone, she was scared of him and her being scared seemed to make him scared so therefore aggressive.after that he'd just go for anyone who was doing anything which he thought was dodgy, ie my OH had a stomach upset and ran outside because he felt sick, ended up being sick with mr D flying at him, my son was leaning out of the window, that meritted a fly across the garden and a good pecking too. BUT he only had one gal, so not enough to do, I could not have done the cuddle technique,too heavy, his new owner tells me he reckons he weighs about 10kilos his spurs were as big as my thumbs. All this said, he is meek as a chick with his new owner who picks him up everyday, that's how he moves him from his doorstep back to the run, he never herds him or 'threatens' him with horse numnahs and sheilds....
                      Last edited by mr darcy; 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM.

Comment

There are cockerels that attack because they are 'scared' and there are ones that attack because they are determined to be boss. The former need gentle treatment, the latter need to be taught that they will NEVER be boss, and SOME of these are impossible to deter while they are still breathing. Until you know which type you have there is little chance of a definitive solution (and the ones who are SURE they should be boss, the solution is dinner!)
                        Even the scared ones still need to not be allowed to take control. Cuddles and being kind yes; bribery with food, could be asking for trouble!
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Well, thanks everyone for all your input - so FAR today I havent been attacked BUT its now going dusk so I need to go & put them in - always a DANGER time.

As I've said, he hasnt attacked today but he has made his presence felt - sidles up to me, picking up things & dropping them and gets closer & closer - putting himself between me and the girls (theres 3 of them).

Have resisted from squirting him with water jets and have tried to make peace by giving them all some treats but suspect this is the wrong message.

Used to do the feet stamping thing which did work once upon a time - not anymore

I don't think he is scared of me (except when I lose my temper/patience with him) - the problem usually arises when the girls come charging down the field when they see me - he's then lost control of them, The other day, they had escaped through to next door and he couldn;t follow

Wish I knew for definite which sort of cockerel he is - a scared one or an aggressive one Either way going for a walk around my garden is not a pleasant experience anymore!

A friend suggested the next time I am attacked - to dunk him in the water butt! Has anyone done this.

Comment

No experience of bolshy cockerels as I had 3 youngsters and they had lovely natures. This could have changed as they got older of course, had they had the chance. I couldn't keep any because of the crowing but my vet said I didn't have enough hens anyway as needed about 10 hens to one cock.

Comment

Im a little surpised at what you guys put up with with the cockerels. I keep chickens but am not allowed cockerels due to the noise.

Can I say it may be the nature of cockerels but how come they are getting away with it, dogs that behave like that get put down!!!

Also how come they are being disciplined quite strictly.

Please dont be offended by im questions im just a bit shocked, maybe its my ignorance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X