No announcement yet.

Our Chooky Journey

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks guys, my hubby now loves to give them noodles for a treat as well *rolls eyes* they'll get as spoilt as our son!
    Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Garlic granules are also a very good tonic in their food. Respite is a garlic based tonic (what a truly horrendous smell it has - and I LIKE garlic!) I mix a tablespoon of granules in with their food once a day and they enjoy it. All are just getting over coughs/sneezes and coming right again.

Comment

oooh good to know maybe i'll add garlic granules to their food too, couldnt hurt? They are like children I'm telling you, every time we go outside now they all huddle by their pen door and getting very talkative about wanting to be let out at EVERY opportunity, then they practically run each other over to get out onto the lawn first lol.

Comment

Wild Garlic

In May the wild garlic in woods & copses are flowering. It grows profusely near to us and we quite often pick the flower heads and dip them in a light batter for deep frying.....

.......would this wild garlic, which is free, perhaps be a good fresh supply of both garlic and greens for chooks?

Jules
          Attached Files
          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Jules I dont see why not, I'd give it ago but in moderation Im sure the chooks will let you know if they like it by how quick they gobble it down lol

Well we've officially had the girlies 4 weeks now, but still no eggs so waiting.......waiting.......They still are getting their liquid nutrient added to their water but at the end of June we'll stop that.

All in all fabtastic improvments and I am much less stressed now, well despite waiting for an egg to appear

Comment

Join the club Gardenwitch still nothing from mine either
              My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Getting 'Our Girls' tomorrow!

I feel like a child on Christmas Eve.....

I'm hoping that 'our girls' will lay their first eggs around about my birthday, although that only gives them six weeks! They are my early birthday present.

Jules
                Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I've only just come across this thread and my what a nightmare. I've got a few laydees that have the sneezes but then over the last couple of weeks the dryness and dust would affect them. I'm glad it's worked out for you GW.

BTW Aunty Flum do you really meditate in your jimjams?
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I'm so pleased things are working out. Is it possible that mycoplasma is the only chicken disease that your average vet has ever heard of, and therefore trots this diagnosis out? Call me cynical, but I'd have serious doubts about a vet who pronounced on a case without swabs and with obviously (as it turns out) little knowledge.
                    I was in our feed merchants yesterday and the boss was showing round a trainee. This is the shop for a very large supplier who have been trading for decades. Anyway, the trainee was being shown the poultry section, and being told that this was where people who kept back-garden poultry bought their supplies (if you're a big producer they deliver it by the ton for you). Trainee had a little giggle at the thought of garden hens, but was told that currently this part of the business was 'massive'. The point is, if this is the case, then vets are going to have to learn about chickens pretty quickly and I wish they'd acknowledge this and make a start.
                    Last edited by bluemoon; 07-06-2009, 02:48 PM.
                    Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                      BTW Aunty Flum do you really meditate in your jimjams?
                      Only when I'm contemplating me navel!
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks everyone hugs all around xx

I agree Bluemoon it does seem a shame the average vet doesnt know beans about chicks, but what can you do except be diligent yourself and try to get the pieces to fit with all the knowledge out there.

In honor of Flum I'm wearing my flannel jim jams too

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenwitch View Post
                          In honor of Flum I'm wearing my flannel jim jams too
                          One meaning of the word Flummery is - flannel!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

We have the weirdest chicken ever, "Thomas", my sons girlie LOVES to roll on her back as part of her dustbath and get a belly rub- swear to Goddess its true how nutty is that?!

Comment

ATTENTION! Attention please......ok all we have an egg! Horay and fanfares all around, my sweet Black Betty (French Copper Maran) laid the most beautiful medium dark brown egg with chocolate sprinkled speckles all over it Happened yesterday between 3-5 pm Needless to say I was so excited I screamed with joy lol

On the daily scrounge front my chookies are loving me shooing them away from my potted strawberries, carrotts, and onions! Heck if I move them up a bit they even jump for them, the lil scalywags! However I did place a homegrown try of rocket and dandylion flowers for them

Comment

Well done that chook for that egg Hip hip hurrah!!!
                                My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X