No announcement yet.

Our Chooky Journey

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is really sad How's things now? So sorry it has been a stressful journey. You've been really unfortunate.
    Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Well some good news and confused! The breeder got in touch with me and is willing to do anything to help out ie: xchange, refund, new birds, etc. Shes assured me all her birds are vaccianted against mycoplasma, and Betty my sleepy lady has got pep in her step again and is sharp as a tack now. The vet was not a poultry vet and said it was mycoplasma, refferred me to DEFRA and automticaly said cull the lot.

Well hubby and i thought better of it and were watching our birds for a few more weeks, 2 are sneezing now but other than that they seem fine, we've been adding poutry nutrient and apple cider vinegar to their water as well. None of them seem sickly in anyway other than sneezing for 2. Betty is giving as good as she gets so no lack of energy there anymore. So were keeping our girlies and watching them close Geez what a roler coaster ride and WHY is culling the lot the first thing non poultry vets say when they just dont understand, crazy stuff?!
      Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Oh my...I've only just read this thread

What a start for you...I'm so pleased things are turning round.
        I think I'd ask for your money back from the vet- they need to know what has happened so they can also learn from the experience.

( I had a bunny with an abscess behind her eye which required urgent surgery- £400 later and a one eyed bunny she eventually needed to be put to sleep after she deteriorated over the following week.The vets said that they'd never had one survive that type of infection......I reckon they used my money to gain experience removing an eye. Poor bunny)

fingers crossed for yours- and thank goodness the breeder got back in touch!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I do hope they all continue to pick up, Gardenwitch. What a rocky start to chook-keeping.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks again especially you auntie flum, i heard from others around your like a guru around here Well leave it to me to start something the hard way lol; super huge hugs xx

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenwitch View Post
              Thanks again especially you auntie flum, i heard from others around your like a guru around here
              What, you mean you've seen me meditating in me jamas?
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Great news! I'm so glad you decided to hang on and that the supplier eventually got in touch. It's always worth listening to instinct and double checking info. Hope they keep on improvingx
                Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

That's wonderful news! I'd definitely get on to the vet and tell him that his diagnosis must have been wrong as they've been vaccinated against mycoplasma
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

lol Flumm

Comment

Well some good news and confused! The breeder got in touch with me and is willing to do anything to help out ie: xchange, refund, new birds, etc. Shes assured me all her birds are vaccianted against mycoplasma, and Betty my sleepy lady has got pep in her step again and is sharp as a tack now. The vet was not a poultry vet and said it was mycoplasma, refferred me to DEFRA and automticaly said cull the lot.

Well hubby and i thought better of it and were watching our birds for a few more weeks, 2 are sneezing now but other than that they seem fine, we've been adding poutry nutrient and apple cider vinegar to their water as well. None of them seem sickly in anyway other than sneezing for 2. Betty is giving as good as she gets so no lack of energy there anymore. So were keeping our girlies and watching them close Geez what a roler coaster ride and WHY is culling the lot the first thing non poultry vets say when they just dont understand, crazy stuff?!
                      There's some stuff called "Respite" which is supposed to be good for respiratory illness in chooks. Haven't tried it but have seen it recommended elsewhere. Might be worth getting some and dosing all your girls?
                      Did the vet do swabs for mycoplasma?They say cull cos they're "only hens". In a society which allows battery hens we really shouldn't be surprised at that attitude!
                      Good luck and well done for being prepared to keep trying.
                      Last edited by Suechooks; 27-05-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks Sue will keep that respite in mind if needed in future. See thats just it the vet did not do a swab just looked at them and said what he said, so really silly really and at the time I just didnt argue withe the man as I was thinking of the girlies. But now i'm like a hawk and will keep my eyes open, as I have no intentions of giving up on my girls any time soon

Comment

Thanks Sue will keep that respite in mind if needed in future. See thats just it the vet did not do a swab just looked at them and said what he said, so really silly really and at the time I just didnt argue withe the man as I was thinking of the girlies. But now i'm like a hawk and will keep my eyes open, as I have no intentions of giving up on my girls any time soon
                          Thats great! After your experience I sent for some Respite and it arrived this morning! I keep a stock of things I see recommended by others "just in case". My vet has very little experience of hens(not many do) but is extremely understanding and accommodating - he listens to opinions - and charges a very reasonable £11 which on one sad occasion included euthanasia and cremation.
                          I think the sharing of information on this forum is invaluable for all of us and specially our chooks!

Comment

our ladies have a marked improvment since we put a chicken nutrient tonic in their water, their feathers are fluffy and bright and they are bright as well.

Comment

Thats great to hear GW!

Comment

aww so chuffed for you!!!
                                Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X