Is there anything

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there anything

Is there anything that chickens really shouldn't eat? My lot will eat almost anything. I know that potatoes need to be cooked but is anything really bad for them?
    I had loads of chocolate cake left from Christmas but was worried it might be bad for them like it is for dogs. Although chickens have a very different digestive system but then so must humans.

Ask Hayley she feeds hers everything

I gave mine leftover Christmas Pudding yesterday - went like dew before the Sun!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Mine eat the leftovers of a vegetable curry today - plus nan and bhajis
      http://www.robingardens.com

Seek not to know all the answers, just to understand the questions.

Comment

"In sufficient amounts, the theobromine found in chocolate is toxic to animals such as horses, dogs, parrots, cats (kittens especially), and other birds and small animals because they are unable to metabolize the chemical effectively [2]. If they are fed chocolate, the theobromine will remain in their bloodstream for up to 20 hours, and these animals may experience epileptic seizures, heart attacks, internal bleeding, and eventually death. Approximately 1.13 grams (0.04 ounces) of baker's chocolate per kilogram of a dog's body weight is sufficient to see symptoms of toxicity.

Medical treatment involves inducing vomiting within two hours of ingestion, or contacting a veterinarian. Vets commonly treat seizure with diazepam or phenobarbitol, tremor with diazepam or methocarbamol, treat bradycardia with atropine, and treat tachyarrhythmia with propranolol, metoprolol or lidocaine.

The LD-50 (Lethal Dose for 50% of a population) of theobromine in canines is 250mg to 500mg of theobromine per 1 kilogram of body weight [3], although death has been documented at 115mg of theobromine per kilogram of body weight. A typical 20 kg dog will normally experience intestinal distress after eating less than 240 g of milk chocolate, and won't necessarily experience bradycardia or tachyarrythmia unless it eats at least a half a kilogram of milk chocolate. If it does not expel the chocolate from its system because of the fat and sugar content, then it would have a 50% chance of surviving after eating 5 kg of milk chocolate. Dark, sweet chocolate has about 50% more theobromine and thus is more dangerous to dogs."

While the above is more aimed at dogs, it explains well the method of delivery of the toxic substance and what happens. Because birds are smaller and have higher a metabolism than a dog or cat, in theory it would take a smaller dose of chocloate to be lethal. I've never had a chicken or bird die from eating chocolate, but then again I've never fed my animals chocolate--I'll take the medical communities' word for it!

Another good article specifically on chocolate and birds is here, written by a vet:

Why Caffeine is Toxic to Birds

She points out that chocolate, is sufficient quantities, is also toxic for PEOPLE! You'd have to tuck into a 20 pound chocolate bar, but still

Comment

Bloody hell Linda you know your stuff! Well I'm really glad I didn't give them any now. I did wonder. Mind you my daughters dog ate all the boxes of chocolates under the Christmas tree one year, wrappers and all, to no ill efffects.

Comment

Ten Toxic Foods for Bird Owners to Avoid

http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/...3-Treats_Chart
            Last edited by lynda66; 11-01-2009, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
              Bloody hell Linda you know your stuff! Well I'm really glad I didn't give them any now. I did wonder. Mind you my daughters dog ate all the boxes of chocolates under the Christmas tree one year, wrappers and all, to no ill efffects.
              my dog has also stolen chocolate bars and been fine, but other dogs, can have just a mouthful and die ...... and that's not the way to find out if your dog is susceptible ..... sorry can't take credit for the above ...... found it on google lol

this is another good site i found for feeding chickens.

CHICKEN FEED: Main Menu

Comment

She's showin' off - it's this MOM stuff - gone to her head!
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

lol ...... nah i just found food sites while looking for what i can feed the babies, and they still in my bookmarks ...... google is my mate

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                    She's showin' off - it's this MOM stuff - gone to her head!

oh- no...go for it Lynda!!!!

( *wipes brow..pressure off!!!!*)

Tis a big responsibility handing over...2 for the price of 1 eh at the moment???

I think I've spent twice my normal time on the Vine researching over the last month!!!!

Happy for you to take over Lynda...well deserved!

ermmm...no idea wher my goodies are at the mo...hopefully a neighbour has received them..or someone needs to visit the post office for me!!!!
                    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Phew, I have now read all the links Linda but think I will now be come paranoid about what I can give the girls. There is no mention of leeks, which I gave the girls yesterday mixed with other veg. I'm putting the remainder in the freezer until I know. I notice onions are not good for birds. Well I haven't got any left anyway as my lot ate all the ones I had growing in the garden last year! Fortunately they were fine.

Comment

Cheers Glutton

I wouldn't give mine chocolate as it is poisonous but for humans it would take 22lbs of choccie to kill you, which on QI the other night Jo Brand didn't see as being difficult.

Most animals barring dogs will not eat what is bad for them, so I suppose the satsuma peelings that are littering the floor of Chookenham is probably bad for them
                        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

i think the only reason you shouldn't give them onions is cos it affects the taste of the eggs, can't think of any other reason....... mine have had virtually all the left over veg leaves, and before long i'm gonna have to start buying stuff lol the only thing so far they aren't keen on is turnips, but they do eat them eventually or if they've been in the blender ....... their favourite is fish, mealworms, slugs, millet and i chop up stale home-made bread and mix with blenderised veg and mix with hot water, they love it.

actually haven't found anything they won't eat yet.
                          Last edited by lynda66; 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I'd imagine the onion thing is purely due to tainting the eggs....interestingly enough though, dogs shouldn't have onions, grapes, avacado or chocolate.

I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

my dog loves grapes

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X