plan B...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plan B...

Hmmm...thought I was doing good with the free ranging plan ...but.....

A couple of days ago the neighbours terrier spotted our chooks - and chased them
    They all got away- flying about 150 feet ( thank goodness we didn't clip their wings!)
    So...yesterday morning the dog returned to see if they were still there. I managed to chase him off ...but....

Now I'm not happy to leave them to roam- and the dog, once chasing ,was oblivious to me hopping around ( broken foot) and chucking stuff at it.

We've decided to build a run in the New Year - BUT...another neighbour has said the foxes bring their cubs up to the houses in the Spring.
    So...plan B ?????
    I'm thinking a permanent fox proof run with a cover from the rain/sun for the day.(We can use the side of the pigsty for one of the walls).
    They'll be safe at night because they'll be in a stone building.

but....what about grazing.....I suspect the grass in the pen won't last long...do you think a temporary one as well would be a good idea which we can move around?

We had actually considered making a run anyway cos they've been eating our lettuce, and when the strawberries etc arrive we'd need to keep them off!

So plan B ....what would you do????
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Had actually thought of building a climbing frame they could fly up too....but they may not consider landing there if they're in a panic!

Comment

Definitely a secure run for them. Whether or not it's movable is up to you really, but the bigger the better. They don't HAVE to have grass, though it's nice to have some. All mine have completely destroyed the grassy area I gave them, so in the spring, when there's turf for sale and well reduced 'cos it's been in stock too long, I'll be getting some to put in the run - not that it'll last long
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

How does your neighbours dog get in?

I wouldn't trust our neighbour's 2 jack russels near our chickens. They don't even let their grandchildren visit as scared of the dogs (sad I think). They did get out one day and were digging and jumping to try and get my chooks who were so spooked they didn't lay tthe enxt day!
        Neighbour has since made another gate his side of the fence so they can't get out, kind of a double barrier in case one is left open.

janeyo

Comment

Ooh that's a great idea Maurren! Mine have got 25 square feet and the grass only lasted 3 weeks! So cheap turf is fab, I will make a note of that!

janeyo

Comment

Nicos you can give them other things to scrap about in, someone once suggested to me a bale of straw - just put it in and they amuse themselves for weeks!

janeyo

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
              Ooh that's a great idea Maurren! Mine have got 25 square feet and the grass only lasted 3 weeks! So cheap turf is fab, I will make a note of that!

janeyo
              I found B&Q so far best for this, 50p a roll last year, and as I went on a Wednesday I got my OAP discount too

Comment

electric fence? Moveable too

Comment

Do you have to register for the discount? Can force my mum to go if so, as I don't qualify yet (even thogh I look like an OAP and feel like it most days!)

janeyo

Comment

We started off with a moveable run but found we had to move the whole thing every week, coop and all, which was on wheels but still hard work, so we then fixed the run panels across the garden instead to make one large area for them.

janeyo

Comment

We're surrounded by fields on 3 sides - barbed wire on one side...and that's the weakest link so to speak!
                      I've unrolled some chicken wire across the gateway for now, but it'd be daft to run it along the side of the field cos the birds can easily fly over. Doubt it'd stop a fox either!!

Run is the way to go, and as I've been a nervous wreck worrying about them- Betty is a law unto herself and happily takes herself to the front of the house which is open plan to the road...and dog!

I like the idea of a bale of straw...I've been giving them leaves which they love when I put them away .

Have to say the chooks were really shaken up- esp the cockerels...I think it was a good lesson for them and they're both on the look out which can only help....Betty as usual is oblivious! ( she's just laying under the cover on the compost heap at the moment)

Comment

Got an electric fence which was left here when the previous owner moved out ( to keep the bull out of the garden!).....plans...plans.....

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                          Do you have to register for the discount? Can force my mum to go if so, as I don't qualify yet (even thogh I look like an OAP and feel like it most days!)

janeyo
                          If you're over 60, just ask at Customer Services or the checkout for a Diamond card. No proof of identity needed (well not when I got mine anyway). I keep meaning to fill in a form for Wyvale too

Course you can force your mum to go!

Comment

Teh static runs are fine as long as you put something down on the floor to stop it going 'sour'. I use woodchips, but it is quite expensive, but they absolutely love it! Especially teh barn hens who make massive holes every day!
                            I tried the turf thing, but it only lasted about 5 days!!

Comment

I have 2 runs - one resting while the hens are in the other. My hut has a pophole on each side. Bales of straw, tree stumps, branches and tyres filled with straw and hanging baskets filled with greens give them entertainment. When I put them in fresh run I throw buckets of dilute ***** fluid over then after a few days scatter with garden lime to neutralise earth then scatter some grass seed which grows by the time they return.
                              I put the clods of grass dug up when I'm digging new beds and they grow round the buried wire.
                              There was a post on PPF about 2 dogs who got into one of the rescue peoples hens and massacred most. It made harrowing reading but made me check on my fencing and reinforce where needed. Worth mentioning that they had electric fencing and the dogs simply burst through pulling the crocodile clips off.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X