No announcement yet.

plan B...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suechooks- hmmmm...had wondered about the electric fencing in that I did manage to grab the occasional handful of this dogs fur as it dashed about ( the cockerel seemed to want to be near me until he realised I was an utter waste of time and he'd have to fly off to survive
    The dog didn't even notice
    In fact thinking about it, it was probably stupid to try and grab her in case she bit me. Normally this dog is really shy of anything but is definitely a cat and bird chaser!
    so...I bet she wouldn't have notice an electric shock either
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      Suechooks- hmmmm...had wondered about the electric fencing in that I did manage to grab the occasional handful of this dogs fur as it dashed about ( the cockerel seemed to want to be near me until he realised I was an utter waste of time and he'd have to fly off to survive
      The dog didn't even notice
      In fact thinking about it, it was probably stupid to try and grab her in case she bit me. Normally this dog is really shy of anything but is definitely a cat and bird chaser!
      so...I bet she wouldn't have notice an electric shock either
      It depends on the size of battery you have! The dogs that got through the electric fencing at Little hen pulled the cockerdial clips off that attached the battery, so didn't even get a shock! When it's put back up (outside builders fencing!) it'll have a much bigger battery and the clips will be inside a purpose made box, to stop this happening again.

I guess wht I'm trying to say is that nothing is 100%, you just have to make it as good and protective as you can.

Comment

Ours is mains so that bit should be more robust????

Suppose I'll have to plug it in and get OH to check to see if it's pulsed and powerful enough to notice

...if it's set to stop a bull, it'll probably BBQ the dog!!!!!( oooh...end of problem!)

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
          Ours is mains so that bit should be more robust????

Suppose I'll have to plug it in and get OH to check to see if it's pulsed and powerful enough to notice
          ...if it's set to stop a bull, it'll probably BBQ the dog!!!!!( oooh...end of problem!)

That is true! The electric fence stopped the fox, it was just these 2 springer spanials that are massive and very determined. They also broke through the fox proof wire runs.

I'm sure you'll be ok, we have foxes in our garden most nights and they haven't made it into the chicken run just yet!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
            If you're over 60, just ask at Customer Services or the checkout for a Diamond card. No proof of identity needed (well not when I got mine anyway). I keep meaning to fill in a form for Wyvale too

Course you can force your mum to go!
            Time to dig the Wurzel Gummidge outfit out again methinks!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

If I had the space and could start from scratch with chooks I'd opt for an octagonal coop with a pop hole in every side. I'd have the coop in the centre of allotment and eight areas radiating from it. All the pop holes would be closed except the one leading to the area I was using.

This would mean I could keep a bit of vegetation in the runs by judicious use of opening and shutting various popholes!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Chooks went away an hour ago..the the little dog has just been wandering around the front of the house ( HA! foiled for today!!!).
                The chicken wire must have stopped it- although I bet it'll just go round via the field if she sees them.
                It's a shame cos she's actually a sweet little dog- It's my problem and not hers and I'm determined to win.
                I opened the window and grrrd at her and she legged it off back home- so she obviously knows I don't approve.

I think they'll just be able to free range in the summer for a short time when we're both out gardening cos they get under your feet then and that'll probably be safer.

Comment

Crikey, Nicos what a dilemma. Luckily our huge yard is surrounded by stables and buildings and the entrance to the orchard is dog proof so ours are quite happy.
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                    If I had the space and could start from scratch with chooks I'd opt for an octagonal coop with a pop hole in every side. I'd have the coop in the centre of allotment and eight areas radiating from it. All the pop holes would be closed except the one leading to the area I was using.

This would mean I could keep a bit of vegetation in the runs by judicious use of opening and shutting various popholes!
                    Oh wow! I love that idea! Will file it in my brain somewhere to be dug out after I've won the lottery
                    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Get a spud gun and stick a few pellets in its bum - it won't come back!
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post

Might be easier to make a house in a small permanent run (concreted I would suggest) and have openings to a whole load of temporary runs from the concrete one. With a bit of planning the concreted mini-run could be left accessible to the chooks nearly all the time. It might be workable to make that 'concrete run' a wide-ish path, thus allowing access to whatever part of the plot you choose.....
                        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
                          If you're over 60, just ask at Customer Services or the checkout for a Diamond card. No proof of identity needed (well not when I got mine anyway). I keep meaning to fill in a form for Wyvale too

Course you can force your mum to go!
                          My mum is 88 and got asked for proof of age! She did say you are joking but he insisted.
                          I've been using my mother-in-laws diamond card for years and never been challenged. Shows who's had a hard life 'cos I'm not 60 yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X