Finally

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Yep, I reckon the tyres & bin were once use to grow spuds.

OOOOO. How would I do this? It would save a bed wouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
      Nice Rhubarb crowns, remove the buttercups or you will be over run with them. Also I would remove any plastic.

Do not get me started on blooming buttercups!! The raspberry bed is invaded. The strawberry bed hasn't seen weeding in a long time me thinks cos it's buttercup city there!!

And from the bins? - Its like carrier bag stuff so has started to break down a bit. Thinking that emptying those and starting again is the best bet.

Comment

PS Sorry for all the questions Bigmallly - thanks for the help. I'm sure someone else will be along to ease the burden of my craziness from you

Comment

Originally posted by SueLou View Post
          OOOOO. How would I do this? It would save a bed wouldn't it?
          Fill one tyre with compost/soil, place 3/4 seed tatties in & cover over. When they come through, place a second tyre on top, cover with compost & put another 3/4 seed tatties. When they come through, place the Dalek on top of the tyres, cover the existing spuds with compost then put another 3/4 seed spuds. Keep doing this till you get to the top by which time you should be frost free & they will produce lots of foliage. When the foliage dies back you should be ready to pick the treasure.
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 19-02-2017, 11:45 PM.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

And from the bins? - Its like carrier bag stuff so has started to break down a bit. Thinking that emptying those and starting again is the best bet.
            Yes, just take out the bits of plastic & put the rest on the compost heap.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

I did wonder if he was using it to force the rhubarb. Does it not need a lid though? I thought it was darkness to force it?
              That was said with tongue in cheek. You are quite right in that forcers do have lids. Many folk use upturned buckets for an early crop.

Comment

Looks great Sue. Well done with the photos. Are you sending them from your phone or computer? If they're too big to load you should be able to resize them to fit. I use Picture Manager but there are other programmes .

As for your mystery plant in the last photo it looks a bit like a flower, maybe iris but I'm not sure. I'd weed out the buttercup and leave the spiky leaves for a while to see what they turn into.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71632[/ATTACH]

What should I do with these?
                  Parsnips should be fine until you need them unless you need the space.

Comment

Thinking fruit as there's gooseberries in the same area...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71615[/ATTACH]

It won't let me load the other pictures of it I'm afraid
                    Looks like a currant bush - maybe blackcurrant with gooseberry behind it.
                    If you rub the stems & buds of the bush it may smell of blackcurrants. If so, that's it!

Comment

Thanks guys ��

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0899.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	2371435Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0901.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2371436Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0902.jpg
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	2371437Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0904.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	2371438

Me an the munch got our busy on, we weeded the rhubarb and started wrapping the brambles round the fence.

Slowly does it. 😁

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71630[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]71631[/ATTACH]

No idea I'm afraid - looks a little fern like.

I think this may well be comfry, in which case you have an endless supply of good mulch and comfry tea. the down sider is it's hard to move or get rid off because the roots go down.

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                            I think this may well be comfry, in which case you have an endless supply of good mulch and comfry tea. the down sider is it's hard to move or get rid off because the roots go down.
                            It's not taking a massive space up so if it's useful/pretty I may leave it. Hoping there'll be more growth when I go tomorrow. :-)

Comment

Been today but someone has strimmed back all the blackberry bushes I was tidying last time!! Also they have been weeding and dug round one of my beds.

I'm hoping that this is a good natured neighbour trying to give me a hand (sent a pm to the lady with the plot next to me to see if she knows). I've emailed the council to chase my invoice and agreement up cos I don't want to be working it and putting my plants down if someone else has been give it too!!!

So, I just measured up and got some leeks;

Rubbish area is 6m long by 3m wide - this will be my shed & compost area
                              Patch in front is 6m x 1m

Didn't measure the raspberry area as that is already in a surround but I'd say it was about 2m by 1m

Rhubarb plot is 1.25m x 1.25m

The bed where there's only leeks atm is 6m x 3.2m

Cold store/poss comfry & parsnips bed is 6m x 3.2m

Fruit bushes is 6m x 2.25m

Strawberry plot is 6m x 1.25m

At least I can try get some plans raised while its being sorted.

Comment

It was my neighbour, phew!

Also made leek and potato soup last weekend which was a hit, so doing gammon, leek and potato next. Also trying parsnip, carrot, apple & mustard soup. :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X