No announcement yet.

young green fingers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My all time easy favs are Geraniums & Petunias.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by flowerpower3 View Post
      i would like to know what flowers are easiest and best to grow
      That all depends on your situation.
      Is your space south facing? North? Shady & cold, or hot & sunny?
      Acid soil or alkaline?

Originally posted by flowerpower3 View Post
      which to i grow in a greenhouse and which do i grow in the garden
      Tender ones need to be in a greenhouse in the colder months.
      Hardy ones can be outside (tender ones can be outside in the summer months)
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would sow a batch of candytuft seeds as a first - lovely little flowers but may be a bit pink.

On the plot I have a whole load of marigold seedlings -so seeds of those should germinate well for you. Bright gold and orange. Both are annuals so they will flower this year.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Nasturtiums are really, really easy to grow. Bright orange/red/yellow flowers. They can grow either 40cm high - or 90cm high/along the ground depending on the varieyty you get.

The seeds are really easy to collect at the end of the year so you get free seeds to start again next year.
          Also you can eat the flowers in salads.

I wanted to create a new border this year but haven't had the time, so I'm going to put a mix of soil and potting compost into some pots and line them up. I know they will do really well!They'll do well in very poor soil and not a lot of water, but obviously they'll do better with a bit of love and attention ( but then again- don't we all! )
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hiya and welcome to the forum. I am so impressed that you are eager to learn about flower and veg growing as a young teenager. It really is an excellent interest to have because i find that it takes my mind of other things, worries and things that make me feel glum, and before i know it a couple of hours have passed me by. Even better is that i get to not only enjoy growing my own, but eating what i have grown, or getting to look at or give away lovely floweres i have grown.

I ditto the nasturtium recommendation, they are usually quite cheap, you get a lot for your money, they grow ally quickly and eaily and they are vigorous and make a wonderful display, and parts of them are edible too (but get further advice on that before consuming them!). What i find is that as they grow they produce loads of seeds and they are quite lbig, like the size of a pea. You can keep these to sow next year so you do 't have to buy the same seeds again!

Take care
            Last edited by Uber-Uncool; 05-06-2012, 10:40 PM.
            Spelling errors are my area of expertise. Apologies if my jumbled up mind/words cause offence.

Comment

There isn't a 'best' flower to grow, it all depends on your local conditions, and what you like. You can have a look round what other people are growing locally to get an idea of what does well in your area, then pick the ones you like from that.
              Stuff can grow like a weed in one region, and needs to be coddled constantly in a different area (my housemate's been trying to kill stuff on her allotment that my Mum, a few hundred miles further North, can't keep alive), so it's not really possible to give even a list of what would be easy for you.

Personally, I just grab whatever looks interesting, and shove it all in a bed. But then I don't have the most organised garden on the planet...
              My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

If you have a Lidl supermarket near you its worth going there to buy veg and flower seeds they're usually less than 50p a packet.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Uber-Uncool View Post

I ditto the nasturtium recommendation, ...and parts of them are edible
                  The whole thing is edible: plant, leaves, flowers & seeds
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've never had much luck with carrots until I grew a late crop of tiny globe carrots this autumn. They are just a little circle of carrot, but great to pick and eat while you are inspecting the other crops! And also in salads - you don't have cut them they are bite sized
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

thanks i will try to remember all that :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X