Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old are you and how long have you grown ya own?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 29 at the end of April, and this is my 3rd year of growing veg, didn't get much grown in my second year, and my first year stemmed from seeing my father in law growing courgettes and potatoes. I thought I can do that, and mentioned it to my wife- ended up with a couple of plants from the garden centre (pepper, tomato, and a cucumber if I'm not mistaken). Father in law gave us one of those small blow away greenhouses, and the tomato did very well in it!

Then I built a trough type planter, and grew beetroot and carrot in it. Found an onion in the veg tray that was sprouting, so planted that in an old 4pint milk container- I seem to remember posting about it on here. My wife said it'd never grow, but it did, flowered and shed seed everywhere

Since then, I desperately wanted to dig our small lawn up, but we were selling as had a baby on the way. Baby was born, and a week old we sold the house and had a week to move out (hence the not so much of growing).

Found a house a couple of months later I believe, wife wanted it without looking at others, which I found out I had no say in as the same thing happened with or last house. Luck would have it the garden was south facing

I built three beds, then found out we had a side garden (hadn't noticed really before). Had that fenced off, got a greenhouse, then chickens - along with fruit bushes and canes.

Now we have a 23month old toddler my urge to grow is greater than ever, as I've always had a thing about good, decent food - but even more so now. We decided to remove the beds from the garden, to give her the garden to play in- So when I've removed the beds, I'm building her a Wendy house type thing, with planters and windows boxes to try and encourage her to get into it (my parents never showned an interest in gardening).

Pretty good timing, as a couple of weeks after deciding not to grow anymore at home- I was offered an allotment, so snapped it up. It's not that close, but means I can grow on a much larger scale now... And recently have just been told I'm 3rd on one right near me, so holding out for that one as it'd be so much better.. When old enough I'd be able to cycle over there with my two kiddies - when the next one drops out the wife!

No idea why I just wrote all that. So yes, that's me

I realise now, when people say I really go head first into hobbies......I actually do !

Erm, yeah - 29 and am in my third year if growng fruit/veg (just getting into flowers)
    Last edited by chris; 17-05-2011, 06:47 PM.

Comment

I'm a bit older than Sylvan and a big younger than Flum. I've been growing my own since I started a herb garden about 30 years ago. When my children no longer needed the space for football on the grass in my garden, I started stealing it for veg beds. I haven't quite got it all yet, but there's still plenty of time .......
      Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post

..................Found a house a couple of months later I believe, wife wanted it without looking at others, which I found out I had no say in as the same thing happened with or last house. Luck would have it the garden was south facing ..................

)
        WHAT!!!!!!!! You bought a house without google earthing the garden first?
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

42 (but a mental age of a 20 year old but not the bod of one lol) and starting my growing of veg 16th April this year!
          God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done. ~Author Unknown

http://twitter.com/#!/louisebriggs2
          http://facebook.com/louise.briggs2
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...s/briggsy2011/

Comment

well i'm 30 next february...and have gyo for just over a month i think, i had pondered the idea for a while, and apparently so had my other half..so we took the plunge... but i can say i am truly addicted! x
            http://seedsshootsandleaves.blogspot.com/
            Please take a look, its my first ever attempt at blogging - aswell as GYO!

Comment

43 but still 21 in my head:-)
              Started helping my mum with her allotment when I was younger and now I have my own. Grown off and on over the years but now I have the allotment I am going grand scale in comparison.
              Have chickens now too which was always a life long dream. Trouble now is that I want more and a duck pond with Indian Runners...ooh and a Tory island hotel for them to keep Mr Foxy at bay! Would love pigs too but OH sighs and looks despondent!
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                WHAT!!!!!!!! You bought a house without google earthing the garden first?
                I bought mine before I'd even thought about growing stuff. Happily, southwest facing - lucky me.
                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I am 40 and have only been growing veg for 2 years but been doing the flower thing for about 10 yrs now.
                  http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarajjohnson
                  http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blogs/pipkins/

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys, great to read them all and see where everybody is on their gardening journey.

I think once you have tasted that first tomato ect that YOU have grown from seed, i recon your hooked for life!
                    To really be free, You need to be free in the mind.

Comment

still surpises me daily when I think how small a seed is, and how large plants grow out of them. Odd, I know - but I had a PSB that was HUGE, probably about 6' tall, stem as thick as half my hand - crazy!

Comment

I'm 61 and started gardening when I was about 5, helping my Grandad.

Comment

I'm 40 and was allowed to help out growing stuff when I was teeny with my parents at home and a bit with my grandad on his lottie. Lost all interest as a teenager but started growing a few bits in a rented house in pots when I was in my early 20s and then gradually more and more in my small garden when I got my own house about 15 years ago. Got a greenhouse shortly after the house and abandonned anything that you couldn't eat in the garden. Finally took the plunge with a lottie in 2008 and am now pretty much self sufficient in veggies (and my garden is full of flowers again )

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

42, 7 years, first 3 in pots, last 4 in garden/made beds, last 2 in polytunnel too.
                            When I discovered black tomatoes I almost peed my pants, I was that excited

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                              So long as it wasn't from blight..........

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by taff View Post
                                Originally posted by Alison View Post
                                So long as it wasn't from blight..........
                                I didn't know blight made you pee your pants.
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X