Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old are you and how long have you grown ya own?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

45 years old or around 590 if you count in moons

I've been involved in growing veg pretty much all the way through, spent a lot of my early years on my parents allotments in London (not counting the 14+ teenage years to my very early 20's when I was a bit of an eejit most of the time). After 1987 I helped my mum as much as I could when she carried on the allotments after my dad passed away. Had another 2 years completely away from growing anything after I first moved over here in 2000, then I started off a very small patch with a few yards of potatoes and 3 tomato plants and now I'm growing on a total area of about 3 large english allotment plots!
    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

31 and in my third year growing. I was always interested as a child but my parents weren't so didn't do anything. 4 years ago, started some chillies with my OH in a flat and was instantly hooked again. Moved to a house with a large garden and it went from there.

I'm on the allotment waiting list but only because i have run out of space to plant squashes and the garden really needs some hard landscaping at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
        You may find the assoication will clear the plot of them for you, mine did it for free..
        Oh that would be brill - I'll make some enquiries, see if they do. Thanks.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

i'm thirty and only ever grew chilli's and herbs really and now i have asparagus growing on window sill waiting to be moved to the plot when we move house next week so sitting waiting patiently to move and get plot organised

Comment

31 year old vegetable growing addict.

Grew a few chillis a couple of years ago, but now I'm in my new house its the first time I've had the space to go absolutely mad trying to grow everything, really everything!!
            Still not enough space, need to buy a field!
            The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
            William M. Davies

Comment

I'm of an age where I can do things and not care and people will say, "oh don't mind him, it just his age".
              Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

38 and this is my third year of growing, mainly in a smallish patch in my garden but now the proud owner of an allotment. This is where the fun really begins.

I'm still learning and will never stop but I am also able to pass on knowledge that I have learnt....it is so rewarding.

Comment

42 and this is my 3rd year (started in Feb) I have wanted an allotment before but knew I would not cope on my own but I suggested it to my sister and we now both love growing our own
                  2 sisters
                  1 allotment
                  0 idea

Comment

33 in August, but started as a nipper with Mum in the back garden
                    I remember grassy knees and muddy hands....and just-pulled radishes tasting so much better than they do now

Comment

Originally posted by Redpepper View Post
                      33 in August, but started as a nipper with Mum in the back garden
                      I remember grassy knees and muddy hands....and just-pulled radishes tasting so much better than they do now
                      That's probably because you wash them now

My little one munches on most things fresh from the garden, including raspberries with bugs on - one of her favourites! Sweetcorn fresh from the plant (including earwigs?) - no problem. Stones? Why not? (Thankfully she spits them out though!)

Comment

31 and been growing for 2-3 years, and herbs/potatoes in pots/tubs on the patio a year or two before that.

Last year was probably my first year of trying to grow a range of veggies. I'm trying loads more this year, but keep realising that I dont really know what I am doing and a bit in over my head, but I find it so relaxing and enjoyable that I carry on anyway!
                        Last edited by Helgalush; 30-05-2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I'm 30 and 6 months.

I have been growing different things in containers off and on for the past few years. We tried in earnest last year but life got in the way and we didn't achieve that much. Things have been a lot better this year and we have 5 raised beds, a polytunnel and greenhouse all in use. We are trying to be self sufficient in all things veg related for a good portion of the year, we shall see how it goes. And in the last couple of months we have become owners of chickens, so now we are self sufficient in eggs.

We've managed to encourage my parents to GYO and they now have some raised beds and a greenhouse.

GYO is stonking!!

Comment

GYO is stonking!![/QUOTE]

To really be free, You need to be free in the mind.

Comment

35 years old (how did that happen??) and this is my first year GYO.

I'm basically trying to grow everything we use most often plus a few treats and seeing how it goes.
                              Greenhouse is getting bushy mind so I think it's going ok so far!

Comment

Hi thepopela

I am 32 and have been growing my own fruit and veg for 2 years. I never thought for a minute I would be obsessed with gardening a few years back either but I love it now! It is absolutley brilliant!

C'moan the wee seeds!
                                :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X