No announcement yet.

Loo Rolls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've tried the funnel trick and the funnel clogs in next to no time - the best tip so far was to fold the tube into a square and then they fit closer together. Maybe with an elastic band round the group?
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Never done anything to the loo rolls and never had a problem.
      PS he's still a good singer.
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
        Anyone got any good typs for the filling of said loo rollls,I seem to get more in the tray than the roll.Thought about cutting off a milk bottle (plastic) for a sort of funnel. All suggestions gratefully received
        Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
        I've tried the funnel trick and the funnel clogs in next to no time - the best tip so far was to fold the tube into a square and then they fit closer together. Maybe with an elastic band round the group?

I use the top half of a 2 litre plastic milk bottle, and an old teaspoon to shove the compost through the spout, as yes, it does clog up! Oh, and this year for the first time I have followed Zazens trick and folded my tubes into square shapes. Have yet to use them though, so watch this space...
        Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
          Anyone got any good typs for the filling of said loo rollls,I seem to get more in the tray than the roll.
          Hold loo roll in your hand while you fill it using a spoon. Use the spoon to gently press the compost down.
          Put filled roll in your seed tray. Et voila !
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm sending mine to Two Sheds to fill. If she can voila them like that then she deserves all the fun.
            Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
            >
            >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

I nuked all mine last year, but still had little mushers growing, so won't bother this year. It took ages too!

As for filling them; I tried the milk-bottle funnel, but in the end I just scooped with the tube in my right hand and rammed the compost in with my left hand until it was full. It worked for me.
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                Hold loo roll in your hand while you fill it using a spoon. Use the spoon to gently press the compost down.
                Put filled roll in your seed tray. Et voila !
                Yeah but that would take a while if you had shed loads. I've tried all manner of ways and I still end up with an aching back from spending too much time hunched over a too low table filling pots to put peas in that are all destined to die in the harsh winter weather anyway.

I've found the quickest way is to to put the loo roll into the bag of compost and shovel it in with your other hand. That way it doesn't go all over the floor. The garage looks like an allotment at the moment.

Comment

I use a spoon think its a desert sized one seems to work OK, saw on someone's blog they used a jam funnel.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadylane View Post
                    Yeah but that would take a while if you had shed loads.
                    Yes, it takes ages: I sit on a low stool with a bucket of compost, and radio 4 on

Comment

Don't use loo rolls much as we don't get through many - only 2 bottoms in our house and we're not in much - but when I do I've never put them near the microwave or had any major problems with mould. Have used them mainly for sunflowers or beans but do prefer root trainers if I have any that I'm not already using.

Re filling - like somebody above mentioned, I put the whole roll into the compost bag and fill, support the bottom with my hand and put in tray - very little spillage and much quicker than using a spoon

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I fold mine, so that instead of being round they are square; and hence a tray full at a time; just fill like normal modules [scoop it on and level off by hand].

Comment

Pretty much the same, square tubes filled with plastic spoon. The only thing I do is sieve the compost for the tubes & add a bit of sand. It is really fine. Bonus this year, I've had no mould.
                          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                          -------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                          -----------------------------------------------------------
                          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I like the square idea, and will try that. Thank you.
                            I have got a bit into the recycling too - toilet rolls, mcdonalds hot drinks cups & drinks holder trays for gardening.
                            Veg peelings, left over pasta,cooked veg, apple cores for the chickens.
                            Teabags, coffee grounds, egg shells, chicken droppings, straw, sawdust and shredded paper for the composter.
                            Hopefully we will be filling up less waste bins!!

Comment

how funny...didn't know you were supposed to microwave them.Just planted some peas out that I had grown in some toilet rolls and they had great roots on them. wasn't sure if I was supposed to remove the tube or not (I did) as the cardboard might take some time to rot?
                              Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

the main point of using loo rolls instead of plastic pots is so that you can plant the whole thing in the ground, without disturbing the roots
                                cardboard rots down really quickly once in the soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X