X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a reminder about ya prunnings etc

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      I've just turned my Baldwin blackcurrant prunings into cuttings. Probably enough for everyone on the Vine

Two months in a bucket of water and they've rooted

Just checked the josta & worcester berry bushes as I haven't taken cuttings of those yet.
      Josta is coming into bud & worcester is just spiny (like a gooseberry).

What's our best guess on number of cuttings needed for this circle so that I can start some cuttings now?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]70687[/ATTACH]
        What's our best guess on number of cuttings needed for this circle so that I can start some cuttings now?
        Probably/hopefully half a dozen.

If peeps can please give a shout out if they are still in or not that would be great. Also if anyone would like to join, say now or forever hold your peace

Comment

WIll bow out (as gracefully as my turkey-filled tum will allow) as I won't know if the quince cuttings have taken till spring arrives. I have 3 spare blackcurrants, but these are now just over 1 year old potted plants so would need collecting really.
          http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I have various strawberry runners in pots, Malwina definately and cant remember the others

Comment

Sorry guys Id completely forgotten about this. Being a retail worker at xmas slightly takes over your life.

I'll have a look what I've got where after work tomorrow and let you know whether I'm in or out if thats ok?

Comment

I could offer pineberries but that's about it for this year I'm afraid. Getting married in April, moving allotment sites and expecting our first baby next month it's been a hectic year.

Comment

Looks like Im not too late to do some cuttings so I'll try with my chilean guavas tomorrow if its still light enough when I get back, may have some strawberries and I'll see if my yellow raspberries have any suckers I can cultivate.

Pineberries sound great
                  Last edited by GardenGayle; 31-12-2016, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayley View Post
                    I could offer pineberries but that's about it for this year I'm afraid. Getting married in April, moving allotment sites and expecting our first baby next month it's been a hectic year.
                    As it is the first one I am happy for peeps to only send in one type. Congratulations on everything you certainly sound like you have been busy

Originally posted by GardenGayle View Post
                    Looks like Im not too late to do some cuttings so I'll try with my chilean guavas tomorrow if its still light enough when I get back, may have some strawberries and I'll see if my yellow raspberries have any suckers I can cultivate.
                    Sounds great.
                    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 01-01-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Never really taken cuttings before, whats the best medium to grow them in, just water or compost or sand? This could all end badly :S

Comment

Gayle, it depends, blackberries root well in water, raspberries sucker, blackcurrants need layering, ...
                        EDIT: that should be blackcurrants root well in water, blackberries need layering
                        I've read (though I've never managed to get this to work) that with top fruit you could graft a scion cutting onto a root cutting.
                        Last edited by planetologist; 23-01-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice Ive taken some Whitecurrant and Chilean Guava cuttings so they'll either root or be dead sticks by March I guess x

Comment

Originally posted by planetologist View Post
                            blackcurrants need layering
                            I've only ever taken cuttings from blackcurrants in late June when pruning. Stuck in water with most of the leaves removed they are rooted by August and robust enough to sit outside all winter without dying.

It obviously doesn't help this circle, but I thought I'd put it out as an alternative to layering. I gave away 8 rooted cuttings in 2015, kept another 6 for myself and only had one fail. Which I think was me taking a cutting that was too wispy. The plants are now a good 2ft high and will fruit this year. (they fruited negligibly last year too)
                            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I use pruning for blackcurrants anytime of the year. Stuck straight in a bucket and left in the GH in the cold months or outside in the warmer months.

Comment

Originally posted by GardenGayle View Post
                                Thanks for the advice Ive taken some Whitecurrant and Chilean Guava cuttings so they'll either root or be dead sticks by March I guess x
                                I am finding Chilean guavas slow going and temperamental where cuttings are concerned

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X