No announcement yet.

Banana anyone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jay-ell and any other banana growers, shall we keep this thread running with regular updates on how they're growing and what we're doing to them?
    There was an article about growing Dwarf bananas in the GYO mag September 2014 if you have it handy! Not a lot of detail though.

Comment

Great idea VC.

So far all I've done is move it up to a 15cm pot for now. I'll pot it up again one it's showing roots. Not sure how big a pot to have it in at the end. How big is a greenhouse door?

Mine was a little bit battered but the central growing spike looks nice and healthy. As I said it has two pups on it at the moment but I'm going to wait until they are far more developed since I doubt that they will have developed much of a root system at the moment.

Some articles I've read say add feed to each watering, some sae feed once a week and one said once a month so it's a bit confusing with the info on the web. Maybee I should buy more and run some experiments? (Now I definitely shouldn't have said that)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Here's mine, as bought yesterday with one little pup Wish I could have bought a couple more. Tried a 3rd store but they had none.

Attached Files
        Last edited by veggiechicken; 08-06-2015, 07:03 PM. Reason: opyt

Comment

Yours looks healthier than mine. I've sent my scouts out to try and nab me another

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Any luck jay-ell?
            I bought another one today - just one left in the shop again! It is with pup
            The man in front of me at checkout told me that he had a banana plant for about 10 years and it fruited after about 5 years. Apparently he was so amazed by this alien flower and the 2 hands of bananas that followed, he contacted Kew and asked if it was normal - they said No!!
            "What did they taste like?" says I. He pulled a face and said he was scared to try them in case they were poisonous
            No way would I wait 5 years and not have a little nibble
            Anyway, he said that the leaves drip water so not to put it on the coffee table!

Comment

Nope, not found one yet. May have to comfort buy a qumquat to get over it.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Oooh, Oooh............where are they?

Comment

On a market stall in Newcastle

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Bit far to travel!

Comment

Darn it no qumquat on the stall this morning however popped into Ladle in Morpeth which had 4 plants, although they were a tad tatty. Took the best two which also have2 or 3 pups on them (well it was 2 for £5)

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Bit far to travel!
                        ...........and you'd need your passport!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tou8-Cz8is

Just to keep you entertained whilst you look

Comment

Well VC, looks like it's just you and me in the Psudostem Club

Here's my three little babies

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I think this more like Jay-ell

https://youtu.be/_D6LWxqUd2E

Comment

This is more me
                                https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=PGZbSKE5A14

Or possibly

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RIHEFlD_VDM

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X