• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something for us to aim for, Jay-ell

Banana tree flowers in Nottinghamshire village | Nottingham Post

Comment

Thanks VC,

10 years - no problem. It'll probably take that length of time for me to grow a decent carrot

Growing it outside - I think not. I'll be keeping mine in pots so that I can move it outside should the weather allow, but keep it indoors the rest of the time.

Just been looking at them today and I'm going to move them up a pot in the next couple of days. Have some large pots with water reservoirs a their final pots. They're also piling on the pups - a couple more have started poking their heads out of the soil. If I split off all the pups I may have to declare myself a republic.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

You'll be starting your own puppy thread soon
        I noticed a new pup on one of mine too! I moved them into larger pots when I bought them. Will probably leave them there this year - see how they go.

Exciting innit

Comment

I moved them up when I bought them but the roots are starting to poke through again. Moving them up a pot size or two at a time mainly because I haven't got the space for three of the large final pots. inside at the minute.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

nanas

I have a few different nanas. One is an unknown dwarf ( I think it might be ducasse), Jamaican red, blue java ( ice cream), dwarf chinese plantain, and musa velutina (pink banana). This last is ornamental only--fruit are inedible. I tried one once, it was like eating a UHU stick peppered with birdshot. They do look cool though. The red is the nicest fruit, followed by blue java.

Unknown dwarf has a bunch on it right now. I don't treat it very well, doesn't get enough water, and it is actually growing in horrific, baked Australian clay soil. Tough as nails, whatever it is.

I've found chook poo and lots of water seems to be the winning formula....more nitrogen than you would think they would ever need. When I plant a pup now I line the hole with garbage bags to help trap water in as I'm in a low rainfall area.
            Attached Files

Comment

Musa Velutina

A picture of my Musa Velutina ( Pink Banana) in fruit. Not much more than a novelty though, really.

Attached Files

Comment

I have grown one in a cold greenhouse 18ft head room is not enough impressive though fruited in a good summer drawbacks the roots will lift all the pavings and concrete it can , had to use the chainsaw in the end, good fun , nice shade

Comment

My neighbour had a fruiting banana, I'll admit it was in Florida, only since it can get below zero C there in the winter, It's more mpressive rhan it sounds.

Comment

First of all a banana plant grows several metres high, has a lot of fruit and is cut down to the ground after fruiting. New shoots emerge and the process is repeated. The plant, not a tree, is very sensitive to frost which means that in Israel it is mainly grown in the very hot Jordan valley. Other parts of the country are too cold in winter.

Comment

I know I'm very late to this party. But I except the challenge!!! Next year I will grow a banana plant.
                      Not holding my breath for any fruit to appear though!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X