No announcement yet.

Scions for 2018/19 ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry for sounding stupid but what are scions?

Comment

Originally posted by MissPea View Post
      sorry for sounding stupid but what are scions?
      no such thing as a stupid question, ( stupid answers are possible)

When fruit trees are grafted they usually come in two parts :- 1) the root-stock, which is the bottom of the tree and generally governs how large the tree will grow 2) the main part of the tree at the top which determines the type of fruit. This top part is attached to the bottom by budding or grafting from a short piece of under 1 year old branch, this is called the scion (it means something like parent).
      Last edited by nickdub; 17-09-2018, 10:24 AM.

Comment

thank you nickdub, when I googled it, it came up a car. I thought I'll happily take one of those! (joking, obviously not making a good case for not being stupid )

Comment

Well this lesson continues for me. Have discovered the apple tree has 3 varieties on it, confirmed by a neighbour that knew the previous owner. To my inexperienced eye, this seems a great idea as its giving a 4 week ripening window, with 3 varied looking and tasting apples but still producing a glut from a heavily thinned tree

Comment

You may have to box a bit clever with the pruning to keep your tri-variety tree balanced, as often one type will grow much stronger than the others - any questions just ask :-)

Comment

Noted, thank you nickdub

Comment

Gardeners world last week had an interesting piece on apple trees. He had 7 varieties on one tree

Comment

Originally posted by It never rains..it pours View Post
                  Gardeners world last week had an interesting piece on apple trees. He had 7 varieties on one tree
                  SkillCult : frankentree-over-140-varieties-of-apples-on-one-tree

I toy with the idea most years - especially as Im running out of planting space.

Comment

Thanks Lardman, bit OTT but can definatly see benefit with my 3 on 1. Good point he made on different flowering times, etc meaning something is produced. Guess downside is if tree dies, loose the lot

Comment

Hi Lardman, do you have a pear tree scion? I would like to graft it to my Quince. Also, which apple trees do you recommend for Kent region? I have an allotment so it needs to be dwarf/semi dwarf I guess. Kids love red sweet crunchy apples.
                      I would really appreciate if you can spare any scions and obviously cover any cost.
                      Last edited by Selymbria; 12-01-2019, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
                        do you have a pear tree scion? I would like to graft it to my Quince.
                        I should think so, probably able to get you a scion from all but the concord.

Originally posted by Selymbria View Post
                        Also, which apple trees do you recommend for Kent region? I have an allotment so it needs to be dwarf/semi dwarf I guess. Kids love red sweet crunchy apples.
                        Check you're allowed to put trees on the plot, not all can. Something on M9 / M26 on
                        well tended plot soil should be fine down there. If the kids love red, crunchy apples you'd probably be best looking at things like Red Devil, Discovery , Katy or Spartan but don't exclude Kidds Orange Red, I have Spartan and KOR if you want scions of those.

Pm me your details I'm sure I have some stamps left.

Comment

Hi Lardman, could you spare a scion or two of Kidds Orange Red please? Seems to be hard to find around these parts.

Comment

Hi Lardman,

Ive ordered a pile of rootstalks and im looking to hopefully graft some trees for my dads and my grandfathers. Iv posted looking for scion but if you could help me out that would be fantastic. Am i too late ?

Thank you

Jamie

Comment

Jamie, You've asked for scions on 3rd January and were told that you need to have made 50 posts before you can ask. https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1635312
                              You said then you would make more of a contribution to the forum!! Must try harder.

Comment

Veggiechicken,

Better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Im trying to learn about gardening and growing trees, im trying to preserve heritage fruit tree varieties/genetics and and im trying to get a small community garden orchard up and running in an area my father and grandfather stay in.

Must take yourself less seriously.

Jamie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X