This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devoted the day to my chooks.
    Gave them new straw and collected 17 eggs! Cleaned them all out (all three coops) which was a bit of an onerous task. Cleaned and resited a laundry basket I use as a nestbox to try and stop them crapping in it!
    Finally sprayed inside each coop with permethrin to kill any bugs. Topped up there water and pellets.
    Spread the manure directly onto vacant pockets of land.
    Made a note that I must go round replacing japanese onion sets that have ben pulled out by the birds, flaming vandals!
    Last edited by Snadger; 31-10-2010, 05:35 PM.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Had a productive couple of hours in the garden - well overdue as seems like weeks since i've got anything done out there. I pulled up the last of the dead summer bedding plants and planted up three troughs / planters with Heather & Cyclamen. In the GH i chopped down the now dead tomato plants & hauled their now empty growbags onto the patio ready for them to be spread on the veg beds when its a bit drier. I also potted on a chilli plant (Pretty in Purple) which is still covered in a mass of flowers and brought it inside to overwinter. Swept out the now empty half of the GH and had a shuffle of the rest of its contents
      Last edited by Newbie; 05-11-2010, 04:18 PM.
      Jane,
      keen but (slightly less) clueless
      http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Nothing outside except cleaning and feeding the guineapigs, cos it's been raining again. Bottled a demijohn of fruit teabag wine, started another of red from the brewshop.

Comment

• - planted 300 daff bulbs at school: every child planted one, which meant I had to dig 300 holes with my trowel. My arms are now shaking and I have a 50p size blister on one palm
          - planted 125 tulips at school, and 100 wallflowers
          - planted out 80 Snowball onions
          - planted out 10 Polka raspberry canes
          - collected another 4 sacks of autumn leaves
          - made elderberry & apple jam. Lots of room in freezer now
          - got the school Garden Club to sort 375 bean seeds into 75 packets
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 12-11-2010, 08:02 PM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• planted tulip and crocus bulbs.
            finally planted some cyclamen which have been sat in pots for ages.
            planted my strawberry plants in their final container.
            planted out my lambs lettuce plants.
            http://pot-to-plot.blogspot.com/ My brand spanking new plot

Comment

• Today I raked up leaves from around the back of the bottom plot and filled a compost bin with them.
              Planted 50 Snowball Onion sets.
              Sowed 50 Aquadulce Claudia Broad Bean seeds.
              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
              and ends with backache

Comment

• Planted out tomatoes and sweet basil, sowed some runner beans

Comment

• i barrowed 5 loads of soil/bark chips(composted) and chook poo from underneath the pallets in coop area and put them on veg patch,chooks attacked these with a vengeance so when i went to spread the loads out it was already done,i wonder what they are like doing the whole patch for me...wouldnt that be good..

Comment

• Today I pulled a fence panel off my car which had been blown out over night. Left some nice scratches and dents.
                    Built for comfort, not speed!

Comment

• - planted Coreopsis's garlic in modules
                      - posted a bean seed parcel to Zazen
                      - rooted some spider plant babies for Jackie J
                      - rec'd a bean seed parcel from Flummery (it's good this place )

- swept up a bag of leaves for a neighbour, & filled another 5 sacks from the bike lane
                      - cut neighbour's hay - I mean grass - that I sowed in the summer & has just been left
                      - sowed a tray of Winter Gem lettuce in the gh
                      - watered the indoor chillies & gh trays that are getting dry
                      - sent off 7 page application for level 3 of RHS Gardening 4 Schools
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 17-11-2010, 06:28 PM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by missalaska View Post
                        Planted out tomatoes and sweet basil, sowed some runner beans
                        I had to do a double take then saw your location
                        You have to loose sight of the shore sometimes to cross new oceans

I would be a perfectionist, but I dont have the time

Comment

• I finished building my greenhouse (which has taken 6 months due to various reasons - mainly impossible instructions leading to frequent frustration). It's now lovely and worth the pain!

Comment

• Planted the last of my tulips, picked some clover flowers and other weeds for the tortoise.

Comment

• A day for general tidying up after the severe gales we had a few days ago. Picked up fallen twigs and did some pruning on the apple trees. I’ll just pile up the rubbish at the bottom of the garden to give the hedgehogs and frogs somewhere to spend the winter. Come next spring I’ll put it hrough the shredder and let it rot down and the whole thing begins again. Cut down the asparagus to a couple of inches above soil level and gave it a mulch of well-rotted compost. Was going to cut back the autumn rasps but they still have fruit on so I’ll leave it for the birds for now and cut them back later in the year.

Noticed that the overwintering broad beans have shoots about three inches long. Don’t want them too ‘leggy’ or they’ll suffer when the really bad weather comes.

Picked leeks and cabbage to have with our meal and am now browsing plant and seed websites.

Comment

• Emptied two used tomato growbags onto one of the empty veg beds & forked it over, planted 60 Radar Onion sets into modules in the GH and the remaining 40 into the newly forked over veg bed, also planted 15 garlic cloves into modules in the GH and the same again into the veg bed. I have always onions & garlic in modules in the GH over winter before but i'm trying both methods this year to see if there is any difference.
                                Jane,
                                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X