Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went to help a friend at work came home did the housework fed the animals made tea glad its all over !!

Comment

fed the chooks collected the eggs and wondered when the snow is gonna leave ,planted onion seeds,leek seeds and peach habaneros.
      don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
      remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

De-frosted the car (again), took kitchen waste to allotment, shook melting frost off netting over winter brassica's and thought how fantastic the rows of daffodil and anemone buds looked.
        Really great gardens seem to teeter on the edge of anarchy yet have a balance and poise that seem inevitable. Monty Don in Gardening Mad

Comment

Trousers took my MoneyPenny 'Truck' (4x4xBond) to work again for the second day running, because his Vin Blanc (White Van) was marooned just inside of the Funny Farm Cattle Grid. So I've had to cancel my Doctors' Appointment today and endure another day of 'Cabin Fever' in the snow at home.
          Never one to miss an opportunity, I've made very constructive Leaps & Bounds today with my planning of what fruit and vegetables to grow exactly where in our new kitchen garden this year.
          I've also scooped out every bit of snow and ice out of the two birdbaths, filled them with clean fresh water, and had the most amazingly comical time watching all my garden birds having a well-earned bath.
          Excellent fun!
          Thank you for listening.
          X

Comment

Sowed sweet peas, and various other flower seeds, onion seeds, Marmande tomato, planted up 50 onion sets from Wilcos.

Comment

Productive day today.
              Went to Wilco's first thing and bought some straw for my chooks, some lek seeds, some Sturon onion sets, red shallot sets, and a few nuts and bolts for my Fergi restoration.
              Fired up the woodburner with the intention of having a day inside the greenhouse pottering about.
              Just as I'd finished chipping the ice from the allotment road next to my plot, a car arrives with a whopping great trailer load of horse poo. "Want any muck" says he "Too right" says I!
              The next couple of hours were spent barrowing loads of steaming tat on to the allotment beds.

That finished, and area swept up, I finally got round to doing what I had originally intended. I sowed Muselburgh leeks and red ham onions to take home and put in the propagator.
              I also sowed some annuals in trays, (originally for family size lasagne's!) after first melting some drainage holes in the bottom with a hot poker. Eschaltzia,Night scented stock, and Giant sunflowers were sown and put under the propagation tent in the greenhouse.

Left for home with a dozen and a half fresh eggs, some Brusel sprouts for sunday dinner and my air rifle in slip which was getting damp in the shed.

Backs aching now though and I'm ready for a bath and a few Ibruproven!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well done Snadge, nice when you get a freebie like that.I managed to get outside as well but had to dodge the showers which were heavy at times. I am planning a major tidy up of the garden and making more use of the space available for food production. Made a start today and tidied the area on the side of the house, erecting a small plastic greenhouse ready for early sowing. Want to get another one next visit to the GC. Tomorrow I need to build some staging to go along one wall for some med sized barrels for early carrots.

Ian

Comment

Today i have been working out in the garden for the first time in weeks - actually probably months! Very productive i've been too, i have:

Cut down Autumn Rasps
                  Weeded Rasp bed
                  Pruned Gooseberry & Currant bushes
                  Harvested Leeks
                  Pulled out dead Chard plants
                  Weeded round the veg beds
                  Planted 50 tulip bulbs into pots (forgot to do this last year!)
                  Potted up 8 rooted strawberry runners
                  Potted up a little tree
                  Emptied compost caddy
                  Jane,
                  keen but (slightly less) clueless
                  http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

The first day for ages that it's been warm enough to actually work in the greenhouse so I got a lot of cleaning and tidying done in readiness for the the big push. Drilled drain holes in more plastic tubs I've scrounged and washed down the mini plastic greenhouse which sits inside the glass one to give a bit of extra protection to seedlings.

Last back-end I gathered a lot of seaweed and still had some bagged up so I dumped it into a big plastic drum and covered with water. That should make a good liquid feed by the time things start growing. Also tore up a pile of old cardboard boxes and left them to soak as well. Doing that speeds up the break down before putting in the compost bins. Half the plot is now looking pretty good and ready though I still have some leeks and swedes in the other bit but they can stay there a while longer. All my early veg, including spuds, will be started off in containers in the greenhouse before moving it outside to make way for toms and cukes, then it'll be all hands to the pumps. Oooh, I can't wait

Comment

First time in the garden for ages apart from dragging a few leeks out of the snow for soup. Harvested last leeks from one bed, as well as removing the soggy remains of the last few celery plants and put them in the compost.
                      Dug the few weeds out to ready the bed for for planting.

Comment

Visited the lottie this morning, all is well. Came home and planned this years crops and crop rotation. Onions are ready to be pricked out. Mr Herbie visited g/c for bag of compost so will try to get these done over the next few days.
                        Wrote a list of jobs that need to be done to finish the layout of the plot and looking forward to getting a few of them done
                        http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Today I potted on some tomato seedlings, sowed some more chillis (Naga Jolokia, Jalepinos and Twilight) and Hannibal leek seeds, bought and sowed some Tomatillo seeds and scrounged big cardboard boxes to use as ground cover on the lotty.

Comment

Newbie, I'm thrilled to hear that I'm not the only one to have completely missed the boat planting out last years' Autumn Bulbs.... put it here - High Five! And I'm determined to finally get around to it this week?!

But Trousers and I have spent a really productive afternoon in the back garden, just hard-pruning a multitude of sins that have clearly been neglected for the last half decade.

Unfortunately, that has now left us with a veritable twiggy mountain to put through the garden shredder this coming week (and prolly the next month!) but it'll be a great addition to the compost heap, which'll be good for the garden, which'll be good for growing stuff, and ultimately, it'll be good for our tummies...
                            Thank You for Listening.X.

Comment

Well, I fnally managed to get up the lottie this afternoon - first time since before Christmas! The weather has been really awful though, hasn't it.

Pleased to find that all was well except for my PSB which has been shredded by the pigeons. (Yes I know I should have netted, but too late now - I'll know better next year).

Harvested 3 large leeks, 4 small swedes, 2 large parsnips and a savoy cabbage. One garlic shoot is poking it's little head out of the ground so hopefully the rest will follow suit as the weather gets warmer.

Japanese onions look a bit worse for wear but they'll pick up.

Next time I go up the lottie I'll cut the raspberry canes down and prune the red and blackcurrant bushes. I have a pot-grown gooseberry to plant as well - hope it'll be all right after sitting in the snow at home for ages.
                              Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

As the sun was shining today, went outside and had a tidy up. Pruned a few bits and pieces and was relieved to see the fish in my pond had survived the weather. Planted onion Sturon in pots and then put in mini gh. Indoors I potted on some more toms which have germinated and tried to create more space on the windowsill!!!
                                AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X