This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=heebiejeebie;231610]
    Picked some PSB for dinner and some rhubarb.

Did the Rhubard like the PSB??

Just got in from the plot - built five 6 foot x 3 foot (due to timber length!) raised bed, & sowed parsnip, carrot, swede, turnip, beetroot, chard - bit late, but going from last year should be OK

Gave everything a good watering, as according to forecast we will either get sun or rain

Too windy to attempt polytunnel erection
    NKP1962
    The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
    Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

• Got back from hols on Friday with a cough which by Sat had turned into a stonker of a head cold. 5 minutes of doing absolutely anything results in an hour's sit down with a book. So, only got 2 beds at the lottie weeded, the beans and sweet peas tied up. Everything else is in my head to do later. Read most of my book though!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Got to the plot for 1030am, and just got back now!

It was exceptionally windy, but warm this morning in the sunshine, but went really cold when the clouds rolled in at about 1pm! Fortunately it stayed dry, until now when its started spotting with rain!

Mr D turned over the last 2 small beds on the new plot while I sideshooted the toms in both greenhouses and set up the string supports for them to grow up (and weeded around the base of all greenhouse crops by hand). After that we transplanted the foxgloves from our half plot into the bed at the front of the new plot, fed all the crops with a foliar feed, then planted up the other small bed on the new plot as a herb bed. Mr D aslo planted out a bed of trench celery and a bed of baby bear pumpkins! After that Mr D set about the small bed on plot 1 (that last year was our heb bed, but was fairly bady overgrown), getting it ready for the comfrey we want to transplant from the half plot on wednesday, and whilst he was digging that one over I planted the melons in the lean-to on the new plot!

Also took some more plants to the plot to go into the cold frame to harden off for planting later this week!

Finally, also harvested the first 2 pods of broad beans, which are going into a rissotto for tea tonight!
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
        Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
        Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
        On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

• Right now.....where do I begin?

Put three support posts at each end and the middle of my broad bean rows. Wrapped a bit of string around the rows as they were getting blown about a bit with the strong winds.Hoe'd up my early and 2nd early spuds. Planted my sunflowers in the Southern border.
          Picked the last of last years carrots before they went to seed, they're a bit hairy and nibbled but should scrub up ok. Added sand and turned over the carrot bed. Drenched it with armillatox to semi-sterilise the woodwork.
          Made more room in the main greenhouse by clearing out some shelves etc. Mixed up another wheelbarrowful of JI compost and potted up some more tomatoes. Opened all windows and the door to enable me to fire up the stove to make a cuppa......three times!
          Finally got round to sowing some legumes french beans in trays. Watered everything that needed it and came away just as the Ibruproven was starting to wear off!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• weeded the strawberry beds, weeded the rhubarb, weeded onions, weeded currants, can you see a pattern here planted some asparagus crowns someone gave me that they didnt want, strange that and i know they're a bit late but they've got two chances!!!! liad some flags in front of shed, picked some cut & come leaves and radishes which we had with tea
            The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

• weeded weeded weeded
              Yo an' Bob
              Walk lightly on the earth
              take only what you need
              give all you can
              and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

• The new greenhouse was finally finished on Saturday but too busy yesterday to get anything put in it However today was very productive & got all my seedlings, pots, compost, mini plastic 4 tier greenhouse etc. etc. moved in there and potted on 3 Festival squash plants and 2 Marketmore cucumbers - the rest of the stuff will have to wait until tomorrow.

Earthed up my potatoes in the veg beds and hoed around my garlic, OH and i also got the grass cut in record time (1hr) with us starting at opposite ends & meeting in the middle!

Oh, also visited my brother & was donated 4 runner beans plants so they're in the greenhouse for the time being too, and on the way home visited the garden centre up the road for growbags (for the tomatoes), a greenhouse thermometer and plant labels.
                Jane,
                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

• Another glorius day weather wise (who put the Sun in Sunderland???). Built another 5 raised beds - sowed Webbs, Oriental mixed leaves, Mange Tout, more Radish, Spinach & Rocket. Earthed up Spuds & gave everything a good watering (the heavens will open here tomorrow now!).

At least I'm on top of the weeding & the landscaping fabric is doing it's job.

Just been told I am getting 2 giant pumpkins to look after for a friend's kids - how much ground do they over, as I think I'm going to run out of space!

All the best

NKP
                  NKP1962
                  The Allotment Directory - coming soon (watch this space!)
                  Movember - I am growing a 'tache in support of men's health

Comment

• Didn't do much over the weekend except show off the plot to my sis on a quick visit before Sunday lunch to harvest the veggies for it! Last of the PSB (I think) and white sprouting too, another cabbage for me and a small one for sis, a couple of small lettuces for the week's lunches, as well as the first of the japanese onions (one each for me and sis - I have enough to keep going this week from stores, but need to start pulling in earnest next weekend), and a big handful of bolting parsley. Also shared the first peapod of the season with sis and the toddler (uh oh - she'll remember where those plants are on the next visit - bit stoopid of me!!) which was delish!

Everything looking good though, and hopefully I'll take Friday off to have a good weed of the summer cabbages, red onions and clear the white and purple sprouting brocolli (have pumpkins and squashes at home needing the space).

Last night, I fed and watered the plants still at home. And then sat doing my knitting watching th clouds gather and hearing the rain start to patter down on the roof - oh well, they did all need it!!

Comment

• A cold miserable day today so went to the allotment after work solely to close the greenhouse windows and do a bit of watering.

Slightly upbeat about the fact that I've had a reply from a local tree surgeon with regard to sourcing some wood chippings for the allotment paths. He's going to deliver some next week!
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• potted on some kale & cabbage seedlings. Moved some climbing beans outside & sowed some radish "french breakfast". Weather is vile, very damp & depressing.
                        Last edited by Raven; 27-05-2008, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• This morning, I arrived into work to find my T&M delivery from the half price sale on my desk!!! So tonight I will be sowing some late PSB, some purple pak choi and a couple of red cabbages (um, I am sure I'll find a spot for these to grow...).

Comment

• Not a good day today, raining at moment and forecast for all day. Had a good day yesterday which was a bonus and unexpected. The high winds and heavy rain did some damage over the weekend but I sorted it out yesterday. 3 tomatillo snapped off but high enough up the stem that they should regrow from lower down. Rats tails radish, peas and broad beans all flattened but will all survive, put a few more canes in and retied where needed.
                            Did a good bit of weeding, trying to keep the mares tail down and under control, if that is possible. The beetroot, radish and spring onion are all through. Sowed some more radish directly into plot. also sowed some kohl rabi, spinach, beetroot, spring onion and dwarf beans into individual pots 15 of each. Took a load of photos and updated my blog.

Ian

gojilottieupdated 27 May 08

Comment

• Finally dragged myself off my sick bed (well, moping with a cold on the sofa!) and moved my purple Falstaff sprouts and Scarlet kale into 3" pots to grow more roots before subjecting them to the big hard world. Doesn't sound much but it's taken me 3 days to summon up the ooomph to do it! Also harvested lots of rhubarb and did a little (VERY little) hand weeding - so nice after rain.
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

• Weeded the onion beds & garlic bed, lifted the net from the PSB (which is resprouting after a severe chopping last week) and weeded around it too. This confused gardencat no.3 who couldn't figure out how to "help" because the net was in the way. Planted some of the 2nd sowing of lettuce cos in the gaps where I'd pulled up a couple of club-rooty PSBs.

Upset three ants' nests, which made the lottie birds very chirpy.

Sowed: pumpkin Jack-o-lantern, 2nd sowing of cabbage greyhound and copenhagen market, leek autumn giant.

Pricked out: lettuce ice king.

Potted on: cabbage copenhagen market from the first sowing. I want the brassicas quite big before they go in the plot in the hope that they will survive more easily.
                                It is odd - the part of the plot that has clubroot only has it in patches. I can plant 12 in a bed and 4-5 will curl up and die, but randomly spaced. Or maybe a few of the plants are just more susceptible than the rest. Or maybe it's some pest that just happens to make the roots club-like and not clubroot at all. It's annoying either way.

Weeded between the maincrop tatties. No point doing the earlies - the foliage is up now so there's not much going on where the sunshine don't reach!
                                You are a child of the universe,
                                no less than the trees and the stars;
                                you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X