Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I spent the morning at the allotment (I had a day off due to working overtime) and dug a bed, made bamboo frames and planted peas. Very pleased with myself!

Comment

• Well I had a lovely 4 and a half hours on the plot, ALONE today Hubby dropped me off at 10.20! I put another row of second earlies in, repotted cabbage and courgettes and blue gourds. Sowed some Pak Choi, pumpkins, lettuce, swede (brora and marion). Weeded, tidied up, had a small fire burning the dead wood. Had a nice brew and chocolate cookies.......watched George and Eric our ribins for a bit and got collected at 3pm!

Tmorrow I am going to finish my second earlies, hopefully with Gordons assistance......knees are killing a little........
      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

• It was chucking it down with rain this afternoon so I got a half day pass from OH and went to the allotment with the intention of doing a bit pottering in the GH and then home for tea!
        Potted on some more red ham onions, had a bit of a natter and collected some more names and addresses for my list of plotholders spreadsheet (An allotment Secretaries work is never done!!!)

Guess what, the sun came out. hooray!!!! Hand weeded the herb wheel, a very pleasurable experience as the nose is inundated with different aromas!
        Sun stayed out so I kept on weeding the bed that has/had beetroot in it. The beet that was left still looked usable so took some home to lightly pickle in a dish with white wine vinegar. Found some little wild viola's whist weeding so I dug them in all together to see if they will form a clump!
        Cabbages that I planted out recently are now standing up like little soldiers after sulking for a couple of days!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Took toms out for some sun then the hail started, so got hailed on whilst putting them under cover.

Let the cover off and within minutes, got hailed on again as I covered them up again. It stung more than expected.

Decided to have a day off from the actual lottie; so back up there tomorrow for some digging.

Comment

• Flower-sowing today.
            Sunflowers, nasturtiums, marigolds and some delphiniums for luck.
            Also, what I thought was a mangetout seedlings turned out to be another pumpkin so it looks like I will have two pumpkin plants after all: and that will be enough I hope, even for all 7 of the children that we are hoping to supply with lanterns in time for Halloween!
            Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• Mostly Today.....

I are.......finally got fed up with putting module trays of seedlings 'in out, in out' of my Little Girls' Greenhouse, Hokey Kokey style, on account of all the heavy showers. They were FAR too wet, and in danger of rotting off. But without the space from my Grown-Up Girls' Greenhouse, and needing every inch of my LGG for the up and coming crops, what should a girl do?

Well, for £24.99 from The Co-Op, I'm now able to keep them cold but dry in my noo 'put me up in an afternoon, and knock me over with a feather' plastic greenhouse, which has definitely done what it said on the tin for me in the short space that I've had it. What a fantastic product ! And Trousers didn't TUTT too much when he saw it on his way into the cottage when he got back from work, which was an unexpected bonus....!

Other than that, I've planted loads of Lettuce seedlings round the edges of my raised beds. Red, Green, Red, Green. And Beetroot. Red, Green, Red, Green. Little Gem Lettuces planted inbetween the young Strawberry plants as a quick 'catch crop'. Beetroot, likewise planted inbetween the young Red Cabbages and Sprout seedlings. Any excuse for 'Productive AND Pretty'. Bit like Fert'n'Liza Flobalob really!

Thank you for listening.....
              X
              Last edited by wellie; 29-04-2008, 07:49 PM. Reason: Thanks Flummy.... you're an Angel

Comment

• sunny

Well ALL my supds are in now, Gordon and I have stuck em all in, weeded the raised beds and febrally tidied up.

Tmorrow beetroot, courgettes and beans are going in along with red and white onions.

A lovely day, sunny all day long, wish I had room for a bed in me shed!

Comment

• not much to report.

Updated my blog. Found my heritage tomato seeds and sowed them (finally)

Revision. Lots and lots of revision.
                  We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed - Neil, The Young Ones

http://countersthorpeallotment.blogspot.com/
                  Updated 21st July - please take a look

Comment

• Just a bit of weeding; it started raining about half an hour in and I can't work in the rain with glasses on!!!

Comment

• Sorted out my herb planter (which I emptied a while ago because it was being choked by a killer enormous sage plant), cleaned it up and filled it with compost and then planted out my thyme seedlings into it, sowed coriander, parsley and garlic chives. Also put some garlic chives in peat pellets with the idea of planting them out with my toms in due course.

Noticed my normal chives have perked up *a lot* since I potted them into their own pot away from the killer sage. Sage also doing well despite being cut back ruthlessly (been eating a lot of sage lately lol, and most of the roots have gone to compost) and confined to an 8" pot.

In other news, I watered everything that was under cover - didn't need to water anything outside Potted on my surprise pumpkin seedling. Noticed salad leaves starting to come up in the centre of my mangetout wigwam (hooray! outdoor seedlings!). Noticed carrots starting to come up in GH seed tray. Started drilling holes in buckets for toms.

Hoping the weather will allow me up to the farm tomorrow - at the mo it looks like the early morning will be clear if not exactly warm, but the forecasts always seem to be wrong so who knows?!?!
                      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

• I just look out the window and decide what the weathers like.......they seem to get it wrong on the weather reports, we were supposed to get HEAVY showers today but nothing! except sunshine :-)

Comment

• Watered all the plants in the greenhouse with rainwater taken from a butt! Shifted stuff from warm greenhouse to cold greenhouse, and from cold greenhouse to cold frame and from cold frame to the plot that needed it!
                          Decided that the bed of leeks are taking up too much space so need moving and healing in. Emptied the final load of potatoes from the clamp and spread the part decomposed straw over my onion bed. I will utilise the clam for healing in my leeks, so freeing up space to plant my swedes!
                          Managed to get another allotment holders details for my records and had a look at his newly aquired chooks. Methinks at £4.00 each for POL, I'll have to get my finger out and get some ordered!
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• Tonight at 10pm I went out on my nightly slug-watch and sliced at least 25 of the little beggars in half - I have been doing this for the past ten nights since I planted my brassicas and a few lettuce out. Before tonight I have slaughtered a grand total of 2, so they really must now be on the march !!

Comment

• Did a little bit of weeding over the last couple of evenings and dug out a few volunteer potato plants. Apart from that, on weekdays all I do is open and close the plastic planthouse.

Need more small pots - many things need potting on now!
                              You are a child of the universe,
                              no less than the trees and the stars;
                              you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

• Got down to the plot earlyish yesterday, dug over another bed on plot 2 for Maincrop spuds and planted the chitted tubers (I know we're late, but I keep telling myself we are practicing successional planting, so its ok then isnt it?)

Moved 60 leeks from another bed and heeled into the end of the just dug spud bed to free up that bed for courgettes, which will be going in today!

Was also going to dig over the last of the maincrop spuds beds, but we were approached by the local 'muckman' who had a trailer of good FYM and asked us if we wanted it, 7' by 10' by 4' deep of lovely sweet muck, so Mr D spent most of the time moving it into the compost bins on both plot 1 and plot 2 (we had to puch the trailer up the hill to plot 2 when it was 2/3rds full)!

Off to the plot again today, gonna finish digging over the other half of the last bed for maincrop spuds, and get them in, then turn over the bed freed up by the removal of the leeks and plant out the 10 courgette plants, plus hopefully plant up some of the toms, aubergines, peppers, chillies and cucumbers in the greenhouse, along with a few catchcrop lettuces and radishes! If we are really lucky, then we may get some more bored beans, peans and mangetout planted out too!

Feel like we are a long way behind where we were at this time last year, but when I look at the plots, over half of plot 2 is already planted up with its first crops, we've almost half of plot 1 planted up, and loads of seedlings in the greenhouse at home, so we cant be doing too badly!
                                Blessings
                                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X