No announcement yet.

Brusstles sprouts still small

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They need to be out soon to make way for other crops like beets and chard. How long till they produce?

Comment

Assuming they don't bolt, probably a couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
        Assuming they don't bolt, probably a couple of months.
        That's too long

Comment

Just harvest them now for the tops and leaves, they're delicious!
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Some of your plants are bigger than others. Could you save the best plant & then sow seeds of beets & chard around the stem. It looks like the lower leaves of the bigger plants have been completely removed? I don’t know why that would be happening? Usually the sprout forms between the leaves but as there’s no leaves there I don’t know what would happen.

Comment

Sprouts are on the list of slow growers - I don't expect to see produce from the seed I sowed in April until Xmas & they're only just about going to be big enough to plant out next week.

If you must empty the bed to plant other stuff & haven't decided to take peanut's advice on eating the tops & leaves - I do see why you would want to do that, particularly as if these are last years plants they may never produce this year as ameno has explained - you might want to consider transferring some to big pots. I've never moved such big sprout plants as some of yours are but I reckon it's worth a shot. Don't forget to firm them in really well as any sprouts formed will 'blow' like little cabbages rather than firm balls if they're in loose ground & bear in mind that sprouts planted in the ground need to be about 2ft apart to have enough space to grow well so don't put too many into one container (unless it's massive).

Comment

You do know you can eat the upper leaves of the plant and the thinner stems?
                All is not lost if you choose to pull them up. Cook down and freeze for soups etc
                Not actual sprouts but still very edible and nutritious .

We’re munching our way through the upper leaves of our blown PSP plants . Waste not want not as they say….
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yep, they are bolting despite the colder weather and rain. I'll leave them in the hope sprouts will come as I can see tiny nodes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X